Welding a trailer jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding a trailer jack

I have a heavy duty dump trailer that I pull with my tractor. The tongue jack has always seemed a bit underwhelming to me so I decided to change it out for a heavier duty one rated for 2 tons. The new jack needed to be welded to a mounting plate. Instead of stick welding it I decided to use MIG spray arc instead. I ground down to clean bright metal on both pieces and set my machine to go into the spray transfer realm. I didn't manipulate the gun at all, just a straight in slight pull and let her rip. The picture doesn't do the bead justice but it is a thing of beauty! I wish I could have used the same process to attach the plate to the trailer but I just stick welded it to the frame of the trailer with 6011 to get through the rust on the frame. I only wire brushed the weld you see in the picture. No grinding. Amazing what things occupy my simple mind these days. Click image for larger version

Name:	spray transfer.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	657.3 KB
ID:	1963444

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Your settings look perfect; nice job! That's always a nice feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
      Your settings look perfect; nice job! That's always a nice feeling.
      Thank you! I love the sound of spray transfer MIG. A nice steady hiss instead of the bacon frying sound from short circuit MIG. I had the Kemppi welder set to 8.8 meters/minute and 27.2 volts with an inductance setting of -4. Too bad the spray arc transfer doesn't work in anything but the horizontal/flat position.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Looks perfect!
        A nice hot pass like that is always a thing of beauty to me, almost sacrilege to even think about paint if it wasn't for the rust.
        Maybe just clear coat it instead.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Yep, that looks mighty fine.

Comment

I saw a youtube video where the guy was demonstrating a high frequency MIG welder
            and a tri mix gas with some small amount of helium in it, and the point of the whole deal
            was with this combination he could get into spray mode and weld 16ga sheet metal.
            Now that I would have to see. If it was true, that would have me buying one of those
            welders for sure. I think it was on Weld.com video channel.

--Doozer
            DZER

Comment

I can't use spray transfer because I'm too cheap. I use 100% co2. But crank it up and I can get close to that look.

Comment

Originally posted by deltap View Post
                I can't use spray transfer because I'm too cheap. I use 100% co2. But crank it up and I can get close to that look.
                I used 98/2 gas. Argon/co²

Comment

Originally posted by deltap View Post
                  Admitting the problem is the first step ! ! ! LOL

-D
                  DZER

Comment

Nice when something comes out right, I still mostly fry bacon (dip transfer) out of laziness even though the set shout support spray, good job nice as tig
                    mark

Comment

Looks good BF.

If you’re using 75/25 next time you exchange ask for tri mix, argon, CO2, oxygen. It should be the same price and it will short arc or spray( if your machine has the horsepower).

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike782 View Post
                        Looks good BF.

If you’re using 75/25 next time you exchange ask for tri mix, argon, CO2, oxygen. It should be the same price and it will short arc or spray( if your machine has the horsepower).
                        I use 98/2 all the time. It works for short circuit and spray.

Comment

I have not yet had someone give me an intelligent explanation why adding 2% oxygen in a SHIELDING gas is a good thing.
                          The goal is to SHIELD the weld from oxygen. Anybody know the answer ? This shlt keeps me up nights.

--Doozer
                          DZER

Comment

A SMALL amount of oxygen help puddle fluidity.
                            Nitrogen is another atmospheric gas we are trying to avoid but in small amounts with other gases it can be used to MIG stainless in place of helium based mixes.

Comment

Working...
                            X