Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFF TOPIC UGLY lawn mowing stripes. Am I the only one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    I am not a big sports fan and I like football more than baseball, but I believe I have seen more than one baseball field mowed with a diamond pattern. I don't know which one did it first, but overall, it is probably where your neighbors got the idea.

I am too old and the summer weather here in Texas is too hot for me to mow my own lawn any longer. So I have a crew that does it. I have never said a single word about any pattern and I think they just mow it in the most efficient manner. I also do not need them to charge me double for going over it twice.

I can't say that I have seen any of my neighbors or anywhere in the city where there is a pattern. The most popular grass here is called St. Augustine and it does not seem to lend itself to holding a pattern so that may also have something to do with the lack of any patterns here.

Personally, I do not care either way. After a day or two or the first rain, we get plenty of that, any pattern is going to disappear anyway. Waste of money.

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    I believe that fad started in St Louis because it looks like the way the baseball field is mowed.

(Also in a St Louis Suburb)

Leave a comment:

• Arcane
    replied
    If it weren't for the lawn police, I would never mow my lawn.

Leave a comment:

• chipmaker4130
    replied
    Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
    Lawns are a conspiracy of Big Grass Seed, Big Fertilizer, and Big Lawn Mower! Don't drink the Koolaid! Plant gardens!
    Horse Pucky. Out here where surface temps regularly exceed 140F, lawns are for kids and pets to play on. They also help control sand and dirt which otherwise blows in around the bottom of the best sealed doors and windows.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    I believe that fad started in St Louis because it looks like the way the baseball field is mowed.

(Also in a St Louis Suburb)

Leave a comment:

• Mike Amick
    replied
    For those of you that watched MONK on tv, he vacuumed his carpet that way. You would only understand if you watched him.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    I like the stripes! My mower makes great stripes.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
    With all the things going on in this world, THIS is the LAST thing I need to concern myself with....
    I like to concern myself with things like this BECAUSE of all the things going on in this world...

Leave a comment:

• Tungsten dipper
    replied
    With all the things going on in this world, THIS is the LAST thing I need to concern myself with....

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
    Lawns are a conspiracy of Big Grass Seed, Big Fertilizer, and Big Lawn Mower! Don't drink the Koolaid! Plant gardens!
    Big Grass Seed is really Big Chemical/Big Petroleum.
    Death to Bluegrass lawns. Plant a wildflower meadow/vegetable garden/xeriscape.

Leave a comment:

• JFLingg
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	_stripingKit.JPG
Views:	707
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1963652
    Really need this!?

Leave a comment:

• kev74
    replied
    I like keeping the stripes straight as much as I can within reason. It's not practical for some parts of the yard - especially with a tractor style ride on.

If you're using a zero turn mower, it's almost easier to pivot at the end a of a straight run and go back the way you came, making straight lines across the yard.

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    I think the other guys have a bad case of "keeping up with the Jones's"
    It happens in every walk of life. ....even among home shop machinists!

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    I mow mine in the pattern that requires the least labor/run time.
    Going round and round in smaller and smaller squares.
    I think the other guys have a bad case of "keeping up with the Jones's"

Leave a comment:

• mickeyf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    I don't care one way or the other.

But I've always been puzzled by the practice of laying down the stripes in a diagonal pattern, which became the fad many years ago. It would make sense if the geometry of the lawn dictated doing so, but most often it requires more complicated maneuvering. Though it has seemed to have fallen somewhat out of vogue in recent years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X