WANTED - Benchmaster/Dura vertical mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WANTED - Benchmaster/Dura vertical mill

I'm looking for a Banchmaster MV-1 or even a 2 in 1 MV-4 or 5. any condition! CASH

FYI; https://newhaven.craigslist.org/tls/...386203743.html
    Len

Comment

THAT is pretty expensive, for a partially restored small mill with no quill.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

No quill means no spline chatter, right ? ?

-D
        DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

-D
          Well, sure. But having used mills with no quill, the convenience factor is pretty low, as you are probably aware....... I have a Benchmaster myself. It has a heavy table, and I scraped mine into good alignment, so it is pretty chatter-free, as mills that size go. But one of the usual advantages of a vertical mill these days IS the quill, and what having that does for you.

I seriously question the price vs what you get as far as an actual machine. They are nice little mills, if in good shape. But they are not what I would consider into the low end of "Bridgeport territory". No idea what the story is with that one, but it was not "rebuilt".

I may be biased....I have $155 (and probably too much time) into a very similar machine with both the vertical and horizontal setups. It's nice, although the horizontal setup is sketchy compared to purpose built horizontal mills. I don't think it is "that" nice, even though I like it. I'm on the lookout for a reasonable head to put on it (with a quill, of course). The factory head, besides not having a quill, is also gargantuan, and really blocks your view of the work.

If it had the (quite rare) 36 inch table option, and power feed, I might think differently.
          Last edited by J Tiers; 09-30-2021, 08:14 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

-D
            Reason I don't generally use two flute endmills. Especially on a Bport as beat as Dad's. How the spindle bearings are still good I have no idea.

Cincinatti No. 5 Vertical. No Quill, but still has a sliding head. Perfect compromise. I'll take 2!
            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

that's a high $$$ and shipping on top of that - not worth it but thanks for the lead and all the feedback!

Comment

Just be aware that the factory head will hide the work and cutter from you. It's pretty big . and biggest right down at the cutter, which is the reverse of what you want.

You likely do not actually need the mill, but some parts, based on your first post, so you may already know that.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Reason I don't generally use two flute endmills. Especially on a Bport as beat as Dad's. How the spindle bearings are still good I have no idea.

Cincinatti No. 5 Vertical. No Quill, but still has a sliding head. Perfect compromise. I'll take 2!
                  IMHO of the nicest compromises I ever saw was the old Cinci Toolmaster at my old job. Basically a B-port on steroids, they put a DRO on it and no other mods, still doing good work after sitting since the 1970's. (mill was made late 50s or early 60s, it came with the building)
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

IMHO of the nicest compromises I ever saw was the old Cinci Toolmaster at my old job. Basically a B-port on steroids, they put a DRO on it and no other mods, still doing good work after sitting since the 1970's. (mill was made late 50s or early 60s, it came with the building)
                    +1
                    Same experience back in the 70-s . but could never find one

Too late now
                    Rich
                    Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Nice machines for sure.
                      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

My Bridgeport was 2000 and I paid too much for it. I’ll probably end up buying a new Sharp mill like one of my coworkers just did. Maybe if the price is right, have a pro rebuild my series 1, it’s 1950’s cast iron. Don’t know, not a priority at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                        X