HSM special edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSM special edition

I guess I am not a modern machinist, so far I am not Impressed.
    I hope this did not replace anything important.

I am glad V/P put it out,and I am sure some of you will enjoy it.
    If you have no Idea what I am talking about,Its called"Digital Machinist".

This is my opinion Yours may vary,and I respect that.

???

What is this? A new magazine? First I have heard of it . Need more info, then I can like it or not too. JIM
    jim

Comment

Leigh
      The entire content of this post is copyright by, and is the sole property of, the author. No assignment
      of title nor right of publication shall ensue from presentation of this material on any computer site.

Comment

Actually i think thats a hat and i think its french?

Comment

I found mine in my mailbox yesterday. The magizine, not the french rabbit. It is the free issue to all HSM subscribers (I think that was how it was supposed to be).

I did like the hexipod photo in one of the articles. I still have to get through it. I flipped around in it and decided to save the reading for Monday night when I get home.

Can't gripe or compliment 'till I get to the back cover. I did like the supprise though. I had forgotten about it.

rock-
          Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

A response

As the author of the Easy Electromechanical Stepper Motor article I will withold comment about the special issue save this:

Many truly interesting and useful posts here would have made far better articles for the special issue as well as the regular issues of HSM or MW than my meager offering. In conversation with Neil and Craig at NAMES and other occasions, they lamented the fact that Village Press can only pay for first North American publishing rights, so when fresh article material shows up here, that same material won't appear in the magazines. The tip books are somewhat different, but don't enjoy wide circulation.

The magazines are what supports this BBS so why not submit some of those excellent ideas as articles. You already have proved that you can communicate an idea as your posts attest, just a little extra effort will turn it into an article. Not only will the magazine profit and be more interesting, but you will profit too.

Weston Bye
            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by Wes1
              ...In conversation with Neil and Craig at NAMES and other occasions, they lamented the fact that Village Press can only pay for first North American publishing rights, so when fresh article material shows up here, that same material won't appear in the magazines.
              That's true, but the definition of "same" is crucial to the discussion.

They would not publish something which appeared here verbatim. But if someone wants to write an article on a subject which was discussed here, their publication rights are not hampered in any way.

Your interpretation would mean that if someone writes a book about operating a mill, nobody else could ever write another book on that subject. That's obviously ridiculous.

Also, what appears on a BBS is a conversation, not a publication. That is also crucial to the discussion (or the conversation, if you will )
              Leigh
              The entire content of this post is copyright by, and is the sole property of, the author. No assignment
              of title nor right of publication shall ensue from presentation of this material on any computer site.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh

They would not publish something which appeared here verbatim. But if someone wants to write an article on a subject which was discussed here, their publication rights are not hampered in any way.

)
                Indeed, but let's not forget my original point; there is much very good material here that would make good articles in the magazines.

Comment

Wes, this was not an attack on you, or any one just a comment.

Comment

Also, what appears on a BBS is a conversation, not a publication.
                    Not so. Case law has clearly established that Village press is the publisher of this BBS and all of it's content.

ZERAN v AMERICA ONLINE INC

In this case, AOL is legally considered to be a publisher. "[E]very one who takes part in the publication . . . is charged with publication." Id. Even distributors are considered to be publishers for purposes of defamation law: Those who are in the business of making their facilities available to disseminate the writings composed, the speeches made, and the information gathered by others may also be regarded as participating to such an extent in making the books, newspapers, magazines, and information avail- able to others as to be regarded as publishers. They are intentionally making the contents available to others, some- times without knowing all of the contents --
                    Id. at 803. AOL falls squarely within this traditional definition of a publisher and, therefore, is clearly protected byآ§ 230's immunity.
                    This was a case regarding a defamation action against AOL. The court held that AOL was indeed a publisher of the material on the forum in question.

If material is published here first then any derivation (derivative work) cannot be sold for first publishing rights as it has already been published.

I publish (via VP) much material here, some of which would be suitable for articles. I don't wish to write articles as it is a lot of work and takes a lot of time. I have written magazine articles in the past and the amount of pay is inconsequential for the time it takes. The pay isn't the reason that anybody writes anyway. For me the time is the main issue. I don't have drawings for most of my projects and to document and produce drawings would be a major undertaking.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

From IOWOLF: ..this was not an attack on you, or any one just a comment.

Understood, and no offense taken.

Just used the opportunity to coax other potential authors out there.

Comment

Thank You,Jay

Comment

I thought it was a great surprise. It clearly stated that this was a "special issue" paid for by advertisers, so it was at no cost to me.

I find the information timely and interesting, seeing as how I have been working on 3 different Hurco CNC milling machines lately. After spending many hours and over $2,000 in repairs/replacement boards for the old BX contollers, I am really interested in what type of retrofits are out there and what their capabilities are. I'm even interested in almost all the advertisements. Great job Village Press, thanks for putting it together!

I'm not sure what to make of those who would criticize a "freebie", if it has no interest to you, then throw it out or better yet - pass it on to someone who might enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Caudill
                            I'm not sure what to make of those who would criticize a "freebie", if it has no interest to you, then throw it out or better yet - pass it on to someone who might enjoy it.

Awww.........you know the type. There are those that would complain if you hung them with a new (or used) rope..........It's just hard to please some people..........LOL
                            RPease

Comment

"I'm not sure what to make of those who would criticize a "freebie", if it has no interest to you, then throw it out or better yet - pass it on to someone who might enjoy it."

Jim C.,I have a use for it ,It just didn't Impress me, thats all,I am entitled to My opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X