Seeking leather belt source!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking leather belt source!

Looking for a flat leather belt for my 1918 LeBlond 19 Heavy. Had a guy lined up pre Covid, but can’t get ahold oh him now. Any of you steam engine guys have a source?

Are you attached to leather? Modern multi-goove belts also work. Example: https://www.amazon.ca/Gates-K050344-.../dp/B000IY99U0
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

For this machine I would like to go with leather, also needs to be assembled on the machine. Closed spindle. I’m not taking this apart to install a belt.

Comment

Originally posted by no704 View Post
        Looking for a flat leather belt for my 1918 LeBlond 19 Heavy. Had a guy lined up pre Covid, but can’t get ahold oh him now. Any of you steam engine guys have a source?
        For my lathe I got the belt and alligator clips and tool from mcMaster carr. JR

Comment

After 30+ years of leather on my Logan 200 I just did the serpentine belt thing, and damn is that great! The Logan also required it assemble around the spindle.

Comment

Google Al Bino.

Comment

Unless this is a museum grade restoration, replace with a serpentine belt. Grind half laps on the ends (without compromising the reinforcing fibers) and glue with Shoe Goo or Goop. Much better power transmission/ resistance to slipping and it won't stretch like leather. A MAJOR improvement on my SB Heavy 10.
              It's all mind over matter.
              If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

There's a guy on Flea Bay that makes them to custom lengths with new clips and the little rod that joins them together. Prices seem fair and shipping is fast.

Here's the listing for the one I got. The only thing I can say is be careful when you measure your old one. I should have gotten one about a quarter inch longer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37047783759...9b6a%7Ciid%3A1
                Last edited by rebelrodder; 09-29-2021, 11:55 PM. Reason: Added Ebay link.

Comment

Baltimore belting, in business for over 100 years: : http://baltimorebelting.com/

Comment

Also there's a guy named John Knox, (847) 384-1146.

Comment

Originally posted by no704 View Post
                      Looking for a flat leather belt for my 1918 LeBlond 19 Heavy.
                      How about a pic of your LeBlond 19? Here's a pic of one I've been working on: Click image for larger version

Name:	20210928_113654sm.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	959.4 KB
ID:	1963791
                      Johnny

Comment

Years ago (when I was working) I bought MMC some synthetic belting that worked well, All I remember is that it was orange in color, maybe 3/32" thick, and you could get clips that only needed a vise to close them on the belt. Looking through the McMaster catalog or web site might find this belting.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

For my lathe I got the belt and alligator clips and tool from mcMaster carr. JR
                          Same. It's easy, and now I have a lifetime supply of alligator clips.
                          Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Tractor Supply has the old style clips and may have the belting.
                            Johnny

Comment

Belt from MMC made a huge difference on my SB heavy 10 compared to the leather belt.

Comment

Working...
                              X