Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotary table

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rotary table

    I spotted this rotary table on Craigs list this afternoon and thought someone of you in the area might be looking for something like it. It's way too big for my table top mill. It is located about 110 miles north up the coast from me. The price seems about right. Here is a link for it. https://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/t...386214833.html
    _____________________________________________

    I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

  • #2
    I wish it was close to me, I'd grab it in a heartbeat.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

    Lewis Grizzard

    Comment


    • #3
      that's really cool and a cracking deal. Almost be worth buying a bigger mill just so you could buy this

      Comment


      • #4
        Sounds like a cheapie if they couldn't afford left handed screws. I'm sorry but that is just a mark of cheapness. Encountered that on a horrible freight DP vise. Just one of the axis. Criminal enough to deserve the dumpster. Pawned it off to some other schmuck for 70% of new cost.

        This appears to be for drill press use as well. Why would you eve have slides below the rotary axis on a mill. That's just two more places to remove rigidity and do no favors. Slides on TOP make a small amount of sense. I could have used that yesterday finishing up a project that took me ages to bump in to within a thou or so. I'd say then you can cut in angled planes, but normally you can do that anyway just by rotating it. So it really doesn't make much sense to have axis on a rotary table at all.

        Not a fan. Just give me a heavy 12 and 8". But a deal for someone I'm sure.
        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
          Sounds like a cheapie if they couldn't afford left handed screws. I'm sorry but that is just a mark of cheapness. Encountered that on a horrible freight DP vise. Just one of the axis. Criminal enough to deserve the dumpster. Pawned it off to some other schmuck for 70% of new cost.

          This appears to be for drill press use as well. Why would you eve have slides below the rotary axis on a mill. That's just two more places to remove rigidity and do no favors. Slides on TOP make a small amount of sense. I could have used that yesterday finishing up a project that took me ages to bump in to within a thou or so. I'd say then you can cut in angled planes, but normally you can do that anyway just by rotating it. So it really doesn't make much sense to have axis on a rotary table at all.

          Not a fan. Just give me a heavy 12 and 8". But a deal for someone I'm sure.
          You MIGHT want to take another look at it...... The construction does not yell "cheapie" to me, or at least not "modern cheapie". If it is a cheapie, it's an "old time cheapie", which normally is pretty decent compared with what you get these days.

          Looking at it, it appears to have left hand Acme screws. Looks like just a choice of which way is considered to be the "+" direction. The way it is, rotating the screws clockwise would move the table so that the fixed location drill, or cutter would be closer to the back of the part, as mounted.

          As for the slides, it's also a choice. On top, they really just let you center the part more easily. On the bottom, they let you do multiple circles of "features", by moving the whole rotary part. I've seen them both ways, and there are as many points to having them on the bottom as on the top. The way it is set up is the same as most slotters, which commonly have a rotary table on top of x and y slides.

          With it tilting as well, that adds another capability, although the usefulness of the slides is reduced a lot if tilted. But setting at any arbitrary angle to drill or maybe mill, that has uses, and most rotary tables only do a 90 degree angle.

          2730

          Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

          Everything not impossible is compulsory

          Comment


          • #6
            If I didn't already have a old Atlas XY cross slide table on my drill press, I would go buy it. I'll watch it for a while and if it's still there in a week or so, I might drive up the coast and look at it. It does look like well worth the $95. My wife would throw a fit.
            _____________________________________________

            I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
            Oregon Coast

            Comment


            • #7
              I found that it was "...custom designed and built..." to be curious. How could that be affordable? Unless it was shop built & then the castings would be an exceptional accomplishment for a DIY'er. Or maybe they're welded up. If shop built, the accuracy could be all over the map. Curious indeed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Toolmakers tables had the x-y slides above the rotary.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It looks like one of these https://www.palmgren.com/category/Positioning-Tables

                  JL.............

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The x-y slides on top of the rotary is much more useful, otherwise you get the same effect by just putting a plain rotary on the mill table and use the mill x and y axis.
                    Kansas City area

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                      It looks like one of these https://www.palmgren.com/category/Positioning-Tables

                      JL.............
                      Close, but different in a lot of details that I don't think it is an actual Palmgren:

                      Click image for larger version  Name:	00T0T_iFmYsYZMOWSz_0bi0ag_1200x900.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	1964099 Click image for larger version  Name:	9632804.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	1964100

                      The $1680 of the Palmgren makes this $95 even more attractive.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I bet it's an older model.

                        One of the guys at work always buys Palmgren stuff. Most expensive drill press accessories I've ever seen.
                        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

                          Close, but different in a lot of details that I don't think it is an actual Palmgren:

                          Click image for larger version Name:	00T0T_iFmYsYZMOWSz_0bi0ag_1200x900.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	1964099 Click image for larger version Name:	9632804.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	1964100

                          The $1680 of the Palmgren makes this $95 even more attractive.
                          Not sure but that was the first thing that came to mind. Should be a tag on it with some ID. Like metal butcher said it may be an older model. Sure is nice.

                          JL................

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

                            Close, but different in a lot of details that I don't think it is an actual Palmgren:

                            Click image for larger version Name:	00T0T_iFmYsYZMOWSz_0bi0ag_1200x900.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	1964099 Click image for larger version Name:	9632804.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	1964100

                            The $1680 of the Palmgren makes this $95 even more attractive.


                            Yes..

                            It is easy to point out the copy cats.

                            They will have steel straps along the sides of the tool.

                            Thats not supposed to be there. JR

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X