No announcement yet.

Some work on a TX650.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I nutted out a simplified schematic for the TX last night and did a little work on it today. Rather than one harness, I decided on two, one for lights and one for ignition and charging. Five wires for the lights run up the left side of the backbone for lights, another three run up a harness on the right for ignition. I've included some earth cabling in the harness rather than just depending on earthing through the frame.

Once I've routed all the cables to their destinations, I'll zip tie them then wrap the harness removing the zips as I go. Having one harness for ignition and charging circuits and another for lighting simplifies fault faulting and cuts down on the number of colours needed in the harnesses.

I've ordered some stainless spokes, should be here this week. Can only get front spokes at the moment for some reason, seems to be a shortage on rears. As soon as they arrive I'll repolish the hub and rims and spoke it up.
    Attached Files

Comment

Tog, this company is a big bike spoke supplier in the usa. Ping them on your stainless spokes question.
      https://www.buchananspokes.com/

Comment

I'm in Oz, postage charges charge more than the product. for example, look at postage on these carbs. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40191398...gAAOSwXJlc7lG1

Comment

^ Yeah but I can't think a small package of spokes would cost that much to post. Been wrong before though.

Comment

Try $28. That's for one spoke, a set costs around $70 to post.

Comment

Speedo/tacho/voltmeter bracket made up today. I'll be adding a few LEDs later on for oil, indicators and so on.
              Attached Files

Comment

Started the TX up again to check the tacho and voltmeter. I had intentions of checking the timing on each cylinder, unfortunately, the POS timing light refused to play. Not to worry, max voltage from the PMA was 14.5 and the bike idles nicely at around 1250 RPM. I placed the camera behind the bike to record the exhaust. Camera doesn't do it justice though, it's very loud and emits a nice burble. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCGI9EXp6xc

Comment

Originally posted by toglhot View Post
                  Pushed the starter button this afternoon and the TX roared into life, very loudly with those pipes. So, the single points cam works beautifully. PMA conversion works well as does the dual output coil, cable splitter, remote filter, cooler and ignition wiring. It's running a little lean at the moment due to the pods and exhaust, so I'll have to rejet before syncing. Very happy chappy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ-BRcUOwKk
                  Very nice. I dont like lean on a new engine. You know that,

I like that build. JR

Comment

I’d like you do a tutorial on polishing. The finishes you get are impressive.

Sid

Comment

Some spokes arrived for the front wheel today, so I dropped everything and cleaned up the workshop to do some lacing. I repolished the rim and hub again, then laced it up. Looks much better than those horrid ally things. I have some rear spokes coming from Heiden tuning, sometime!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
                        I’d like you do a tutorial on polishing. The finishes you get are impressive.

Sid
                        Not much to it really, just get the right equipment: 8" bench grind with extension spindles to hold mops. You'll need some sewn sisal mops to be used with black compound, this is for roughing. Next you'll need some sewn cloth mop to be used with white compound. And finish off with a loose cloth mp used with white or green compound, although, you can skip this last step if you like. Once done, polish with a soft cloth and Silvo, wait for it to dry, then polish with a clean, soft cloth. To maintain the shine, use the Silvo with a soft cloth again when needed.

Contrary to popular belief, you need to apply plenty of compound and apply it often. Without plenty of compound all you'll do is generate heat.

Prior to polishing, you can use a nylon fibre wheel and a random orbital sander with at least 320 grit. Sanding is necessary first to flatten the surface. If the surface isn't flattened first, you'll end up with a shiny, wavy finish.

Dress yourself in a bunny suit with a hood, a clear visor and gloves and have a bucket of water close by. Ally get Hot when polishing.. Be warned, this is a filthy job, it will leave crap not just over you, but over everything in your workshop. Filthy, filthy job!

I've converted a 45 year old GMF 8" grinder into a stand alone polishing machine, such is the amount of polishing I do.

Nylon fibre wheels are available on eBay in a variety of grits. They are available in small drill mounted wheels, or larger ones to fit a bench grinder. Be careful with these because they can remove a lot of material very quickly if you're not careful. As a side note, the drill mounted ones are available in a large variety of sizes and make short work of porting jobs.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by toglhot; 10-27-2021, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Final post, absolutely no interest in 650 Yamahas here, so I'll move on.
                          front wheel spoked with stainless spokes. Looks nice from a distance, but, the stainless spokes aren't the same as stock, the thread is longer. So, when laced and trued there is 3mm of exposed thread between nipple and hub: Not a good look, ugly and unprofessional. Good enough for some, but not me I'm afraid.
                          When I advised the seller, all I got was a number of abusive texts and emails.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I wouldn’t Necessarily think just because there have been few comments, that there is no interest.
                            I’ve been following along!

Sid

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
                              I wouldn’t Necessarily think just because there have been few comments, that there is no interest.
                              I’ve been following along!

Sid
                              indeed! I can always appreciate good work! I haven’t ridden a bike since I T-boned a car on my 73 BMW R75/5;(long swingarm). Broke my heart, luckily I came out unscathed but the bike was totaled ​​​​​​

Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                              Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_19946.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	840.4 KB
ID:	1969852 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_19948.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	810.8 KB
ID:	1969854 Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20211112_16_44_14_Pro.jpg
Views:	76
ID:	1970976 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_19949.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	785.8 KB
ID:	1969855 Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20211112_16_44_14_Pro.jpg
Views:	79
ID:	1970977 Some stainless spokes for the rear wheel arrived yesterday afternoon, so I polished the hub and rim and laced it up. Much better than the front, no thread showing at all. Naturally I sent a picture to the supplier of the front wheel spokes and told him this is how spokes should look after lacing a wheel. Not 3mm of thread showing like on his spokes. Not surprisingly I haven't heard back from him, however, he has removed my account, I'm heartbroken, absolutely heart broken, I can no longer do business with him, what a disappointment! Apparently, some business owners seem to think customers should be happy with sub standard parts???
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by toglhot; 11-19-2021, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X