Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toglhot
    replied
    A few hours is all it took - it's just a pile of bits that once was an almost complete bike now, just needed tyres and the seat covered. Going to be a big job polishing all those bits again, any volunteers???

A couple of mods on the frame to do: Remove the coil and flasher mounts then repaint along with tank, guards, seat, trees and a few other bits. Not sure what paint to use this time. I used acrylic lacquer last time, but spilt some petrol on the tank and it stained it. Painted heaps of tanks with acrylic lacquer before but never had this problem, either the paint is different or the petrol is. Don't really want to repeat the exercise.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Beazld
    replied
    You really do nice work! I’m enjoying the build and the thread!

Leave a comment:

• toglhot
    replied
    This is a new brake divider I machined up to replace the original. The original hoses were rotted, so I replaced them and did away with the two steel tubes that connect the hose to the calliper and the hose from the master cylinder to the divider. Unfortunately, the new hoses have the banjos on the same plain requiring the lower hose to be twisted through 90degrees to connect to the original divider, so I machined a new divider to get around the problem. The lower hose connects at the rear of the divider, as does the brake light switch. The top hose connects to the side of the divider.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• toglhot
    replied
    I thought I’d make one more video before tearing the bike apart. This one deals with carb syncing with a manometer.

This manometer has a relatively large body of water, and the vacuum lines are fitted with a .6mm jet. This has the effect of slowing down the movement of water stabilising the readings and making the device extremely accurate. Just a miniscule turn of either idle screw or throttle adjustment screw greatly effects the fluid levels.

I have great trouble with my fingers, so you'll notice me changing hands frequently trying to turn the adjustment screws. I also turned the adjustment screws the wrong way a few times, putting the levels out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-iw8Z2I5o8

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    Sounds and looks beautiful, can hardly wait to see what she looks like in fresh paint and a set of tires to complete the picture.
    Although she looks mighty fine just as she sits there.
    Also nicely made manometer set you have there. Although with your attention to detail I would have been surprised if you hadn't made a set.

Leave a comment:

• Beazld
    replied
    Purrs like a kitten till the Lake pipes roar!

Leave a comment:

• toglhot
    replied
    Probably the last startup before tearing it apart again for repainting. Sync was a little out, so I adjusted the idle screws, turning the idle screw a fraction results in a big difference to the manometer. Happily, the mufflers do an excellent job of quieting the beast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBXAk8sPwMI

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Congratulations on a beautiful piece of work! I wish I had the energy and motivation to do such nice work.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• toglhot
    replied
    Completed the last job on the bike today, polished the second exhaust hanger and fitted the baffles to the mufflers. All that's left to do now is rip the bike apart and repaint, then reassemble. Don't know when though, I like looking at it now it's finished.
    I'll be repainting with the same black, but this time applying an iso free two pack clear over the base colour coat on some selected parts: tank, seat, guards and maybe a few other bits.
    When resprayed and assembled I'll fit tyres and get the the seat covered, don't trust the upholsterers with the seatpan, that's why the two pack iso free clear on the seatpan before getting it covered. I was going to cover it myself, but the Singer has given up the ghost.
    When resprayed and reassembled I'll park it in the garage and cover it up and go out every now and again, uncover, sit on it, blow through my lips to make some appropriate motor bike noises and dribble down my chin.
    Don't know what I'll do after this, maybe an R65, if there's anything left of my elbows.

Leave a comment:

• toglhot
    replied
    Completed the last job today, fitted the baffles to the mufflers. All that's left to do now is rip the bike apart and repaint, then reassemble. Don't know when though, I like looking at it now it's finished.

I'll be repainting with the same black, but this time applying an iso free two pack clear over the base colour coat on some selected parts: tank, seat, guards and maybe a few other bits.

When resprayed and assembled I'll fit tyres and get the the seat covered, don't trust the upholsterers with the seatpan, that's why the two pack iso free clear on the seatpan before getting it covered. I was going to cover it myself, but the Singer has given up the ghost.

When resprayed and reassembled I park it in the garage and cover it up and go out every now and again, uncover, sit on it, blow through my lips to make some appropriate motor bike noises and dribble down my chin.

Don't know what I'll do after this, maybe an R65, if there's anything left of my elbows.

Leave a comment:

• RSG
    replied
    Definitely a labour of love! Nice job so far....

Leave a comment:

• toglhot
    replied
    These are the exhaust hangers, they clamp around the mufflers, a stainless washer between the bends allows the the clamps to be done up tight thus gripping the mufflers securely and preventing the ends of the clamps from bending. Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20220415_15_21_16_Pro.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1996881

Leave a comment:

• toglhot
    replied
    Finished off the muffler today and made a polished aluminium hanger for it. I was going to double skin a section on the side of the muffler and weld mounting tabs to it, but decided these full cradle hangers would look better, plus, nothing to break off from the vibration. Happy with the result, these mufflers look nice and suit the build I think.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• toglhot
    replied
    Yep the XS is a shaker, more so than the Brit twins compliments of a lighter flywheel.

Leave a comment:

• oxford
    replied
    The xs650 is an interesting bike. They gained a big popularity in the states with the “cafe” and “chopper” crowd alike with a pretty big aftermarket support.

I never followed it real closely but crank re-phasing is pretty popular with those engines. 270 degree or “twingles” being the most common.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X