X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alanganes
    • Jul 2006

Crane boom question

I had a tree service out to my in-laws place to have some badly leaning trees removed the other day.
    They had a mobile crane there to assist. The crane boom was the extending type that was used to do all the work. To one side of the boom was attached the short lattice type boom section that was not used. I’ve noticed those before. Is that simply added to the end of the telescoping boom to get more reach?

how is that done? Do you need another crane to attach it? Click image for larger version

Name:	C36181B5-3707-4508-8BE6-18D99E897924.jpeg
Views:	451
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	1963981
  • BCRider
    • Dec 2015

I'd want to see a picture of where the two upper ends meet. I know that I've seen a two section boom where there was a side folding hinge. And there was no cylinder on the second part. Instead it looked like it would be unfolded and locked while the whole rig was lowered to horizontal. Then raised from there. This might be something similar. But the part where the hinges and latch, if any, would be located is up in the tree branches.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• MattiJ
      • Dec 2016

I think the extension is called "jib"
      And here is one way to do it on a larger crane:

Comment

• Stu
        • Jul 2007

It's called a jib boom, with the main boom lowered horizontal the jib is swung on pivots and attached to the main boom. The cable is extended and run through the jib sheaves. The process takes less than an hour to do.

Comment

• Peter.
          • Mar 2008

Called a fly jib round these parts. It adds reach at the expense of de-rating the lifting capacity usually quite significantly.
          Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
          Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
          Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

• Richard P Wilson
            • Aug 2012

Fly jib was something we had on the old lattice boom crawler cranes. It was fairly light weight and fitted to the end of the normal boom, but at an angle so it increased the reach when lifting light loads. It wasn't in a straight line with the main boom like the one in the video is. A long time since I last used one of them.
            'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

• alanganes
              • Jul 2006

Thanks that all makes sense. This didn’t look like it would pivot out to attach it looked like it had to be removed and it wasn’t obvious to me how it would attach to the end of the main boom.

I couldn’t get a good look at it and was trying hard to stay out of the guy’s way while they worked.

Comment

• boslab
                • Dec 2007

Also called a luffing jib, at least demag do, mind they weren’t small things! The SL 1100 was 3/4 of a football pitch at a guess
                mark

Comment

• Richard P Wilson
                  • Aug 2012

I don't recall that a luffing jib was the same as a fly jib, but as I said, its been a while----
                  'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Working...
                  X