Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clever flexible mount

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Clever flexible mount

    This is a part of a camera mount for a helicopter. Two surfaces are connected all around with coiled wire rope. It's intended to keep helicopter vibration from the camera. Really clever I think and something I hadn't seen before. (From this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDw8C8965I)


    Click image for larger version

Name:	wire mount.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1964097

  • #2
    Ingenious!

    Comment


    • #3
      It is clever, but it is not new at all. I think the idea was used in the 1960s, and was not new then.

      Makes a good "decoupler", with enough friction to not bounce.
      2730

      Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

      Everything not impossible is compulsory

      Comment


      • #4
        Those cable loop vibration isolators are a commercial product.
        https://vibrodynamics.com/our-produc...ope-isolators/

        Comment


        • #5
          We use them as well on our ships for mounting electronics racks. It's old but the first guy to come up with it was clever indeed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ikdor View Post
            We use them as well on our ships for mounting electronics racks. It's old but the first guy to come up with it was clever indeed.
            Yep - used all the time to decouple our sensors from various military ground vehicles, too.

            Comment


            • #7
              Looking at that site, I see they have tuned dynamic dampers made from wire rope. These are clamped onto pipes adjacent to vibrating machinery to absorb vibration. That is so awesome it makes me want to turn cartwheels!

              If you crimped a mass onto one of those wires and then coupled it to a source of vibration of known frequency you could measure its resonant frequency. If you did that with a few different lengths you could use the data to extrapolate other length/resonance data points and then you could build a vibrometer. Hold it against a machine like a tuning fork and see which wire went crazy.

              I made a simple dynamic damper for a Jet 17MF drill press once. It worked pretty well; cut vibration a lot.

              metalmagpie

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
                ...
                If you crimped a mass onto one of those wires and then coupled it to a source of vibration of known frequency you could measure its resonant frequency. If you did that with a few different lengths you could use the data to extrapolate other length/resonance data points and then you could build a vibrometer. Hold it against a machine like a tuning fork and see which wire went crazy.
                ..
                Speaking of resonance-based vibrometers, I have a small-engine tachometer that works on that principle. It has an adjustable length wire that vibrates at calibrated frequencies. Pretty cool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044AV5VK/
                Video: https://www.amazon.com/vdp/eb9b9b45b...=dp_vse_lbvc_0
                Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 10-06-2021, 01:16 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I used to be intimately involved in making those.
                  From 3/32" cable, all the way up to 1-1/8" cable.
                  I made the machines and the tooling. I made
                  crimp presses, cable tensioners, straightening
                  machines, cutting machines, the whole gamut.
                  I even made duplicate machines and tooling for
                  a production line we started in China.
                  Any questions about these isolators, I probably
                  know the answer.

                  --Doozer
                  DZER

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ikdor View Post
                    We use them as well on our ships for mounting electronics racks. It's old but the first guy to come up with it was clever indeed.
                    We built those too. Mounted the panels on linear guide rails, and supported with isolators.

                    -D
                    DZER

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                      Iall the way up to 1-1/8" cable.

                      --Doozer
                      Well that would be intimidating. Inch and eight spring wire? No thanks. Way passed my pay grade. JR

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JRouche View Post

                        Well that would be intimidating. Inch and eight spring wire? No thanks. Way passed my pay grade. JR
                        What, We had girls making them !? !! ?!
                        Seriously.
                        Good tooling is all it takes.

                        -D
                        DZER

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          To further dampen vibrations- I once built a camera mount for an RC helicopter. I used those squishy yellow balls for damping material. You could add stuff like that for an increase in damping ability.
                          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by darryl View Post
                            To further dampen vibrations- I once built a camera mount for an RC helicopter. I used those squishy yellow balls for damping material. You could add stuff like that for an increase in damping ability.
                            I know thoughs. The wires would "sing" under tention so they applied various dampers on the lines. I remember the bright color they used for them. Big dampers. Bright colors. JR

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I used the yellow smiley face balls. Comes to mind you could use memory foam mattress material.
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X