Help with part name please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with part name please

I can't remember what they are called, but they are pretty much a disc with a type of tooth setup on the face, that only drive one way when two are combined. Pretty poor description but maybe enough for someone to know what I mean.
    Nev.

One way clutch.

Comment

Sprag clutch
      mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
        Sprag clutch
        mark
        I think you nailed it. There are a few different designs that fall under that name. I've seen the saw tooth version which is like a ratchet and the roller bearing type where the bearing locks when the direction is reversed, very smooth operation.

JL................

Comment

It is a ratchet mechanism but if you google that you'll get a bunch of wrenches. Google "pawl" instead.

Comment

Originally posted by genea View Post
            It is a ratchet mechanism but if you google that you'll get a bunch of wrenches. Google "pawl" instead.
            There are several different types shown here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spra...&bih=728&dpr=1

JL...............

Comment

Also known as a "overriding clutch". The military used them in some of the trucks that had no way to manually shift the front axle into use. I think that if there was a small percentage of slippage on the rear wheels, the overriding clutch would start the front wheels to pulling. Worked pretty good.
              Sarge41

on edit: I also found one in a tape drive on a NC milling machine. I still have it. It was sized for a .375" shaft. If I stick a shank of a 3/8" end mill in it, I can turn it one way, but not the other. The first time I came across one of these, I was working in a garage and a customer brought in gravely two wheeled garden and lawn tractor that used a "sprag" clutch on the starter. When we took it apart, the rollers that would engage the shaft were activated or pushed with folded leaf springs.
              Last edited by sarge41; 10-02-2021, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I've heard them referred to as a "dog clutch". Maybe sub categorized as a one way dog clutch.

Comment

You might be thinking about "Nord-Lock" or wedge lock washers:

https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-wa...-lock-washers/

Click image for larger version

Name:	91812A429p1-b01-digitall@4x_636933316374984303.png
Views:	363
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	1964263
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Thanks Paul. They may just work for what I need.
                    Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                      You might be thinking about "Nord-Lock" or wedge lock washers:

https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-wa...-lock-washers/

Click image for larger version  Name:	91812A429p1-b01-digitall@4x_636933316374984303.png Views:	92 Size:	14.3 KB ID:	1964263
                      I have come across lots of strange animals in my day, but the Nord-Lock is new to me. How would they be used?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id973dHbATc

Paul's pic and the ones in this video seem to have the cams in the opposite direction.
                        Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                          ....... Pretty poor description but maybe enough for someone to know what I mean.
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMaybe is you tell is what it does or where it is used ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

-D

DZER

Comment

dog clutch disc is my guess.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Well, I could be called a dog clutch , but the dog clutches I have worked with had a single spring loaded "dog" (lever ?)
                              But it works , /

So we have a Childrens group in Green Bay that holds events for kids and they entertain and educate children.
                              They have what they call the Gear Wall for such education events to teach kids about mechanical drives.
                              A few years back, I volunteered to rebuild the Gear Wall since it would not work. One of the reasons for the failure was
                              the kids " Turn The Crank" the wrong way and that broke things, so among other repairs, i added a one way clutch ( dog clutch)
                              instead of a spring loaded Dog, I made one plate spring loaded . here are some pics
                              Rich
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	P2230029.JPG Views:	0 Size:	599.6 KB ID:	1964613 Click image for larger version  Name:	P2230028.JPG Views:	0 Size:	594.3 KB ID:	1964614 Click image for larger version  Name:	P3040138.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	1964615
                              And here is the machine itself
                              It has all kinds of drives, reductions,Cams and the "Big" deal with the kids is the "Ball Elevator" that raises large ball bearings so they roll in a track.
                              The Balls would jam and break the drive , until the one way slip clutch was installed on the crank handle
                              I should add that the entire machine has Plexiglass guards so no little fingers get pinched, but the guards were removed for repair work

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2250119.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	1964617
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 10-04-2021, 11:39 PM.
                              Green Bay, WI

Comment

Working...
                              X