Crude live tooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crude live tooling

Longitudinal grease grooves in 932 bronze bearing bores 7 1/ 2" long.

Asked my employer if they had done this job in the past, indeed they had and he finds a right angle die grinder hose clamped to a holder under a bench.
    Chatter City and a slow process but they are only lubricant grooves so are not measured by the customer.

Crude but effective (-:

This looks like a classic "do it on the shaper" job.
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

The results don't look the least bit crude. Well done.
      It's all mind over matter.
      If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
        This looks like a classic "do it on the shaper" job.
        This assumes having a shaper, I have worked in the business for 30+ years and have NEVER seen a working shaper in a machine shop that was not a simple keyseater.

Comment

did you rough the bore in, cut the grooves and then finish the bore to size? Or finish the bore and then cut the grooves? If the latter, how did you clean up any burrs left by cutting the grooves?

Comment

That had to make an interesting noise. But it obviously worked!
            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I have worked in the business for 30+ years and have NEVER seen a working shaper in a machine shop that was not a simple keyseater.
              I last worked in a shop that was not my own hobby shop 40 years ago, and they had a couple of shapers. Mind you, they also had other machine tools that may have already been 100 years old! They were not exactly what you'd call at the leading edge of technology...
              "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                did you rough the bore in, cut the grooves and then finish the bore to size? Or finish the bore and then cut the grooves? If the latter, how did you clean up any burrs left by cutting the grooves?
                Finish bore then groove, bronze is easily deburred by hand. The customers bore dimension is 4.502"-4.500".
                The groove dimensions are fractional at 1/8" wide by 1/16" deep +- 1/32", 4 grooves evenly spaced so there is a good deal of room for error, eyeballing the scribed lines is more than accurate enough. Did it in a manual lathe using the tail stock to control the feed rate.

Comment

With the blind end of the groove, that would be a problem for a shaper. To avoid jamming up chips at the end of the stroke, might have to carefully back of the stroke ( move the part , maybe) on successive cuts. Have to give that some thought ???

Joe B

Comment

Joe make that double blind end...single would be ok if you end in the groove.
                    if you mount bushing at an angle you could come in from open end and , end at circular groove .. but cut would be 0 depth on syptart end and full depth on other end..
                    that could maybe work if the turned bushing 180 degrees for 1/2 of the 4 grooves... but not to the specs shown. .
                    be very quick in production.

i must apologize, i viewed this a while before I posted, i thougjt in error that there was a circular groove on each end of the straight lines.
                    Last edited by 754; 10-03-2021, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                      That had to make an interesting noise. But it obviously worked!
                      Annoyingly loud, over ear headphones recommended, I use Marshall headphones connected by bluetooth to a tablet or laptop, small and light weight.
                      Excellent ear protection, however they cost more then $0.00,

Comment

What did you use for a cutting tool? 1/8” endmill, carbide burr, or ???

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                          What did you use for a cutting tool? 1/8” endmill, carbide burr, or ???
                          HSS 1/8" diameter full radius endmill, a 1/8" wide grooving bar for the circumferential groove, the customer drawing does not specify a corner radius.

Comment

I can see why that die grinder chattered. It's hanging out there quite a ways.

Also, wouldn't it have been better to cut spiral grease groove ?? Since your straight grooves are spaced at 90 deg. the only part carrying the load in line with the grooves are the ends where the grooves stop.

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post

Finish bore then groove, bronze is easily deburred by hand.
                              makes sense, thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X