Lock picking anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock picking anyone?

I became interested in picking locks and purchased a lock picking tool kit. I find it very interesting and challenging.
    Anyone else picking locks?

I don't (yet), but it's something I've long wanted to try.
    SE MI, USA

Comment

Not anymore.
      I'm too old to go back to prison.
      Len

Comment

All I have to say is that the Lock Picking Lawyer makes it look waaaay easier than it is. I goofed around with that for a while and in a pinch it worked some times.

Comment

Its handy to have a set of decent picks. I bought a set awhile ago, I think because I had a tool box I couldn't open. Childs play for a lock picker, but I was pleased that a rank beginner was able to make them work.

The lock picks then sat and sat. Years. Then one day last year I get a panicked call from my wife's office. Its her, and thinking she'd usually call on her cell, whats going on? She accidentally locked everything, phone, building pass, car keys, computer, purse in her office. Its a decent size place, they have the whole floor, but being Covid she was the only one in the office. If she left she would not get back into the suite and would be stuck there with no phone, money, car keys etc.

We here exercise enough technical brain cells to speculate that if a Kennedy is the simplest lock in the world, an in suite office lock is probably the second. Maybe tied with standard filing cabinet. Non technical people don't think that way. A lock door is a lock door and impassable to mere mortals. To shorten an already lengthening story, I was able to pick the lock and was the hero of the day, the stuff of movies. How many hubby's would be able to do that, I know!! hehe, I just marveled in the glory and didn't reveal it was my second lock and success relied heavily on a cheap lock and bit of luck
          Last edited by Mcgyver; 10-03-2021, 02:32 PM.
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Way back when I thought it was an interesting endeavor, kind of like a puzzle of sorts I guess.
            Since then the only time I thought it would have come in handy was when I lost the keys to a padlock and my angle grinder fixed that problem.

I've slimed-jimmed my way into a car a few times when the keys were locked inside but that's not really picking a lock is it?

Agreed on the Lock Picking Lawyer, some interesting techniques demonstrated on his YT channel. If nothing else it demonstrates some of the vulnerabilities in what many consider safe and secure measures.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

So far I've found lock picking pretty difficult. I'm going to keep at it because I feel like the missing ingredient is not far off and, once found, the future locks will be easier.
              I think the tension tool is where I'm lacking proper technique.

Comment

The one problem with lock picking is that there are two possible outcomes to being known capable of picking locks. Some find it an amusing and potentially helpful sort of hobby. Others take your name off the list of "nice people", and cross the street so as not to speak to you.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

A locksmith buddy I knew had a range of regular Schlage passage sets with varying numbers of pins to use for picking practice. I got to where I could unlock a 5 pin basic lock. Even got pretty close to regulary picking the cheap and basic tubular. It's a touch thing that certainly needs regular practice to maintain.

Interesting legal point here in Canada.... Possession of a lock picking set in Canada by anyone other than a licensed locksmith is a chargeable offense. And possession of a set of "jimmy bars" used for getting into cars by those other than licensed locksmiths or bonified tow truck drivers while at their job and in their truck is at least a good way to be arrested for suspicion.
                  Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I purchased a few purpose made tools eons ago, but have made far more in the years since. The strip of stainless steel that I always rob out of old wiper blades, makes good stock for tool making. It works great for making a variety of tension tools - different lengths and shapes/angles work better on different locks and with different user techniques, so make several and see what works best for you.

Comment

I am pretty good at picking your normal everyday issue locks. All these new fancy dancy locks I have no idea if I could open one. Lately anytime I needed to open a lock I used my Makita locking picking tool. Works every time! What I used to be real good at was opening safes with combination locks. Again nothing real elaborate just normal locks.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

It's been a pretty long while since I messed around with it. Can still get into a master lock combo lock without issue though, not that that's much of an accomplishment

Comment

I played around with it a bit when younger. I never got very good but my daughter got quite interested and competent with simple locks. One of the things she had that helped a lot was a transparent padlock so you could see what you were doing while learning.

Brian

Comment

I've been picking locks for 40+ years. I like the challenge of finding a locked padlock and getting it open. I can get into a locked file cabinet faster with picks than with a key. When I worked, people would always come get me when they left their cabinet keys at home. Hmmm, I never charged for my services. Maybe I should have unlocked it for free, then charged $5 to lock it back at the end of the day.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Working...
                              X