OT- electric blanket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- electric blanket

OT this is. Thinking about getting one as I seem to be getting more prone to cold feet lately. I don't wear socks to bed, so I don't know that I would get used to electric socks, otherwise that might be my answer. What I'm thinking of is more like a larger scale tea cozy, but an electric one. I don't want to heat the whole bed.

Electric blankets wrap you up in a net of element wire of some kind directly connected to ac. While I haven't heard of people getting electrocuted, it would be safer if the voltage was isolated- meaning the use of an isolation transformer. In that case you could use any voltage you wanted- where this is headed is probably crazy, but I have to be me. I'm thinking that since any wire can be caused to heat up with sufficient current, I could sew a pattern of regular insulated wire into a blanket material and make a pocket out of it. Big enough to put my feet into, but small enough to kick aside under the covers- kind of like the bottom half of a sleeping bag sort of. At any rate, there would be a suitable voltage to feed it so it heats, but not enough to damage the insulation or overheat my feet. Using a transformer I could easily arrange it to be just right.

I'm concerned about the health effects of shoving my feet into an electromagnet, not to mention the rest of my body which would be in close proximity. Would low voltage, high current be more or less dangerous than higher voltage (110 ac) and lower current?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

My father in law was a big time farmer with 86 head of registered Herefords. His circulation was bad, and he suffered terribly from cold feet and hands when down in the barn in the winter. We bought him a pair of battery heated socks, and he liked them so much we got him battery heated gloves as well. He loved them and never suffered any ill effects from them.
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Have you looked at heat pads, if memory serves me about 14" x 18". They come with controls (possibly programmable timers) and are safe. As I see it, with heat blankets or heat pads, you're not likely to have much if any moisture in bed, ergo no danger.
      Sarge41

Comment

I don't like the entire idea of electric blankets. I just don't like a potential ignition source covering me when I am asleep. And, I don't like heat at night, I wake up sweating under those. I grew up with it cold at night, and I like that.

My suggestion is to instead, get a down (or other filling) "comforter". Get what they call a "duvet" cover or two for it. That will be ridiculously warm, and if you leave off the top sheet, you will be warm but not overheated.

Pro Tip...... before you get into bed, warm your feet up on a radiator, etc. Old camping trick.... if your feet are cold when you get into bed, they usually stay cold. But if warm, they stay warm. It has to do with the way blood vessels work.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

As a child we only heated the living room so preheated the beds with an electric blanket in the days of multiple blankets to fit the season. But when duvets became the norm with a synthetic fill I find they are enough even with the window open in winter. (mild UK weather). Heat pad seems the way to go but you will have to invent a way of keeping it in place.

Comment

you don’t need to worry about ”Electromagnetic effects”
            shock and fire are the risks and At low voltage you are left with only fire hazard.

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
              Thinking about getting one as I seem to be getting more prone to cold feet lately. I don't wear socks to bed ...
              Try wearing socks?

Comment

Apparently (Ahem... "Studies have shown"...) we lose most head through our extremities - feet and head. Plain old socks can make a huge difference. (I can attest to this.) Add a nightcap for overkill.
                "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

I am thinking of fitting my electric blanket back on the bed as the nights get colder, they are so nice, although not as good as having a good/bad woman to warm you up.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                    Apparently (Ahem... "Studies have shown"...) we lose most head through our extremities - feet and head. Plain old socks can make a huge difference. (I can attest to this.) Add a nightcap for overkill.
                    Brandy or Scotch for a nightcap?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

We have electric pads that go under the sheets.. They have zones as in head, body and feet. Timers for each area and different temps for each area. Much better than an electric blanket I think. With the electric pads and down duvet life is good in cold weather. I always sleep with the window open even in the coldest weather.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Something I learned very early on when I started snow camping; "If your feet are cold, put on a hat." Your head radiates a very large percentage of your body heat. When the supply of heat can't keep up, your brain gives itself precedence over the extremities. Feet and hands are the first to get deprived.
                        It's all mind over matter.
                        If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

An isolation transformer won't do anything in this case. It isolates ground, which is connected to neutral.
                          Since your blanket wires are connected to both ends of the transformer, an insulation failure on both ends will shock you.
                          And prolly wake you up pretty quick.
                          Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                            An old timer once told me “if you have cold feet, wear a hat.”.

Comment

Hmm- time to go look at heating pads. And electric socks- something I can use when riding my bike as well.
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                              X