Telescopic Gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

I always thought the same about Suzuki small hole gauges, even the pouch is identical to the mits. Contract manufacturer? Copycat? Factory seconds outlet brand? Don't know, but they appear to be the same quality and without the big brand's prices
    I'd go with contract manufacturer. For one of the sizes I have both a Yuasa and Mitutoyo version. Other than the Mitutoyo label on one, everything else is identical - lettering, design, feel. I can't tell them apart, but both are worlds ahead of the junky import and old beat up Starrett ones I had before. I get much more consistent readings with these ones.

Comment

For those of you saddled with sticky and nearly impossible to use TG's you might want to improve them if buying fancy ones isn't really in the budget. There's a couple of videos on YT that will aid you in getting them to run as smoothly as the big name expensive versions.

(3) Modifications to a import telescope gauge - YouTube
      (3) Silky Smooth Telescopic Bore Gauges - YouTube
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Cheap and precision dont always go together? If you are not holding bores under .001, then go cheap. If you what something better look at a used Starrett set. Large part of getting good readings is knowing how to use them!! I always take 3 readings and compare.

Comment

Don't you mean cheap and precision NEVER go together.

Even though I'm just a hobby mochcinist I quit using cheap measuring tools years ago because most of the time you get what you pay for. Poor tools means poor results! I hurts to pay for quality measuring tools but life is to short to be frustrated all the time making bad parts. If good telescoping gauges cost to much for you then get set of spring dividers and learn to use them, low cost and they can be very accurate if you use them right.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Don't you mean cheap and precision NEVER go together.
            Low cost did not use to automatically mean poor performance. But in recent years it has certainly become more true.

My own shop only has a few major names among the measurement gear. My daily use dial calipers and most of the micrometers are all import no name jobs that I bought about 25 years ago. I regularly check them with the 1" standards that come with the "brand name" micrometers. And they've held calibration really well for many years now.

But about two years back when I dropped one of them and it was damaged beyond repair I bought a similar looking model at $30 vs the $20 I'd paid 20 years earlier. It is total garbage. It sits by my computer for measuring things where the roughness isn't as big a deal. I still hate it though.

But for a few dollars more in recent times I've picked up some import tools with the Accusize name. They got me with the very low cost adjustable parallels that were a waste of $20. But the centering gauge for the mill and the combination metric/imperial dial calipers are just superb. Testing them shows them to be highly accurate and the handling of both items is smooth. Fit and finish of the accessories in the centering gauge is dead on.

So perhaps the lowest cost stuff is trash but for a few dollars more "medium cost and precision" can go together. But it tends to be a bit of a mine field and one gets a toe blown off here and there among the cost saving successes ...
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I know it's more money ( sickness ) but dont hear much from you Guys about Gage Pins? I have .011- .500, which is my first goto for measuring bores. My shop is a True ( Home Shop ) but I still like making things easier !! Now.... if I get down to .0003 on a bore I will turn a piece of brass for a gage ( go - no go) YES........ you have to paper in the last .0003 tenths! Nothing wrong with Junk...... just have to be more careful.

My mill is a 6x26 and lathe 8x17 and still get pretty close with years of experience. Chuckle how accurate they are at times.

People have no problem spending $ 100.00 on a dinner, but worrie about $50 bucks for a tool ?¿
              Last edited by Fasturn; 10-04-2021, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I had to remake both the plunger and inner anvil, that slot was completely chewed up. The hole for the spring was larger than needed, and I think i made the slot a little shallower too. (This was back in 2017, so I don't remember all the details.) Anyway, it's possible to leave plenty of material in the bottom of the slot.

And look at the end of the screw/spindle/long rod through the handle! Chopped off with a dull axe?

While I'm keeping an eye open for good deals on used internal 3-point mics, I don't regret buying the cheap set of telescoping gauges first. You can get good results with a bit of practice.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I have a set of cheap internal expanding gauges and they work okay for me. I read them with a micrometer and usually measure about three times then take an average if it's critical. A lot of how well they work depends on just how "deft" the person using them is.
                  Brian Rupnow
                  Design engineer
                  Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Some folks need to remember that "Mitutoyo" is an "import brand"......... 😉

It's not the price, it's the quality level. There is expensive junk also.

Remember also.... The brand does not guarantee the quality, the quality guarantees the brand!

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

I tried the no-name models and ended up getting a used set of General Tools telescopic gauges on eBay. Also, a set of the very nice, Mitutoyo split-ball small-hole gauges. Total less than 100 for both.
                      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

The full ball or shortened ball ? The shorter will measure some shallower slots.
                        i made a few shallow slots in a die I am building.. depth is 75 to 80 thou, my adjustable parallels worked great.. hard to meaaure usually..
                        Last edited by 754; 10-04-2021, 11:39 PM.

Comment

yes, never cut corners when buying telescopic gauges....They Must be absolutely smoooooth ! or you get crap

Even though I have a good set , You fellows need to expand your techniques and experiences.
                          I taught my machinists at the shop to use good adjustable parallels ...again not crap
                          Good parallels with nice consistent corner edges and smooth slide and parallel of course !
                          Put it in the bore , expand it and when tight (self centering) Mike it Cross-corner
                          The nice thing about adjustable parallels is they will tell you if the bore is tapered or coke bottled .
                          And by turning them 60 degrees if you are oval . A tapered bore will "rock" when feeling the setup
                          They are more accurate in the sense that you measure the bore in place and no worry about "Spring Movement"
                          Rich

Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                            Telescoping gauges are not direct reading tools, how do you measure them without more expensive tools?
                            Problem I've had with cheapo telescope gauges is getting the right feel with the friction lock. They can go from loose to locked up solid without hardly tightening the screw at all, so it winds up scrubbing against the bore as a heavy interference fit. A big PITA when boring aluminum. I get much better results with my old (antique) inside calipers. Nice smooth adjusting screw lets me get a good feel every time.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                              The full ball or shortened ball ? The shorter will measure some shallower slots.
                              i made a few shallow slots in a die I am building.. depth is 75 to 80 thou, my adjustable parallels worked great.. hard to meaaure usually..
                              I got the full ball models because I didn't trust myself to manipulate the short ones properly. For shallow slots and odd places, I can always use the adjustable parallels as you did.
                              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Fasturn View Post
                                I know it's more money ( sickness ) but dont hear much from you Guys about Gage Pins? I have .011- .500, which is my first goto for measuring bores. My shop is a True ( Home Shop ) but I still like making things easier !! Now.... if I get down to .0003 on a bore I will turn a piece of brass for a gage ( go - no go) YES........ you have to paper in the last .0003 tenths! Nothing wrong with Junk...... just have to be more careful.

My mill is a 6x26 and lathe 8x17 and still get pretty close with years of experience. Chuckle how accurate they are at times.

People have no problem spending $ 100.00 on a dinner, but worrie about $50 bucks for a tool ?¿
                                Gauge pins are my go to tool for sizing smaller holes up to 3/4". Besides being idiot proof and I can attest to that as chief idiot in my shop they are not all that expensive (smaller sizes) in the right light. All of mine are the plus zero minus .0002 sizes and I have gone through and mic'ed many to see if they are accurate and none have been off spec. These are the cheaper MDH ???? brand not Starret or Mitutoyo.

You'll have to pry them from my cold french fry heart attack induced dead hands.
                                The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X