Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    Some folks need to remember that "Mitutoyo" is an "import brand"......... 😉

It's not the price, it's the quality level. There is expensive junk also.

Remember also.... The brand does not guarantee the quality, the quality guarantees the brand!
    Exactamundo, Fowler used to be good but I have seen a lot of their cheaper goods that are just re-branded no-name Chinese crap. SPI (Swiss Precision Instruments) now sells a lot of the same crap coasting on their old good name.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Getting back to Craftsman, in the early days of ebay I collected a set of Craftsman Professional micrometers. They were cheap and very well made. They looked very similar to one series made by Starrett and I suspect Starrett did make them.

metalmagpie

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
        Getting back to Craftsman, in the early days of ebay I collected a set of Craftsman Professional micrometers. They were cheap and very well made. They looked very similar to one series made by Starrett and I suspect Starrett did make them.

metalmagpie
        If they're of a certain age, they're almost certainly made by Starrett. Later Craftsmans look and feel more like Scherr-Tumico to me though.

Comment

Originally posted by Galaxie View Post

If they're of a certain age, they're almost certainly made by Starrett. Later Craftsmans look and feel more like Scherr-Tumico to me though.
          I'd have thought more Lufkin or General. But at that point both of those were good brands too. Not as posh as Starrett but certainly serviceable.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            Some folks need to remember that "Mitutoyo" is an "import brand"......... 😉

It's not the price, it's the quality level. There is expensive junk also.

Remember also.... The brand does not guarantee the quality, the quality guarantees the brand!
            Some folks neglect a little detail: Mitutoyo; News; Yuasa; Fuji and others, while Japanese brands where never exporting garbage like the crap from China.
            Last edited by reggie_obe; 10-05-2021, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post

I'd have thought more Lufkin or General. But at that point both of those were good brands too. Not as posh as Starrett but certainly serviceable.
              General Hardware seems to have shut down their manufacturing in Long Island, reduced the items in their catalog and re-brands imported stuff.

Comment

Everything GENERAL that I have seen in the hardware store recently has said MADE IN INDIA.
                Freaking great !

--D
                DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                  Everything GENERAL that I have seen in the hardware store recently has said MADE IN INDIA.
                  Freaking great !

--D
                  That's a bummer. I notice they didn't drop the prices either.
                  I know that Sears Craftsman used to use re-branded tools from Scherr-Tumico, Lufkin, and General.
                  I have some of those tools from back in the day, they are of good quality.
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Some folks neglect a little detail: Mitutoyo; News; Yuasa; Fuji and others, while Japanese brands where never exporting garbage like the crap from China.
                    That is a very important point, IMHO. I'm not a fan of them, but I can recognize quality no matter where it comes from.
                    I think the only reason we get crap imported is because people buy crap. If they stop doing that, the importers will stop doing it.

Comment

Yeah, General now is made overseas. Likely has been for many years now. But back when Sears sold good tools General would have been US made and was a fine mid price product. I've got a few General tools that I picked up in the mid 70's to early 80's and they all say "Made in USA". And they are finely made items.

Just as an aside I've looked over the current imported Craftsman items that are coming out of China. Looks wise and just store handling of them they are surprisingly nice. Can't comment on their durability. But in terms of scale of feel and nice ratchet feel they are far better than the junk sold by Sears during their failing years of the 90's and on.
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

That is a very important point, IMHO. I'm not a fan of them, but I can recognize quality no matter where it comes from.
                        I think the only reason we get crap imported is because people buy crap. If they stop doing that, the importers will stop doing it.
                        Maybe someone will come forth with the names of some non-conterfeit precision measuring or machine tool brands made in china?

Comment

Maybe someone will come forth with the names of some non-conterfeit precision measuring or machine tool brands made in china?
                          Browne and Sharpe.
                          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Browne and Sharpe.
                            Very funny, that is not a company that originated in china.
                            Need I be that specific?
                            Designed, engineered and manufactured by a company located in, owned and founded by the chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Browne and Sharpe.
                              Not the $300 mics. Mine were made in Providence RI, and the newer ones are made by Tesa in Switzerland.
                              I have the 0-4 inch set from Providence.

Comment

Very funny, that is not a company that originated in china.
                                Need I be that specific?
                                Designed, engineered and manufactured by a company located in, owned and founded by the chinese.
                                I guess you did you need to be that specific. Wasn't trying to be sarcastic.
                                21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                                1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Working...
                                X