Touching up a drill press table..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touching up a drill press table..

Came out of a school - we couldn't make it perfect. Got rid of the whole saw marks though. Took off about .035"

Before..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	3.79 MB
ID:	1964515

After

Name:	Finishedtable.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	1964516

So you used a huge industrial machine costing MANY thousands of dollars to salvage a $150 drill press?.... . I SALUTE YOU! ! ! !

It's cool and all and it came out great. But I'm not sure that many of us will be able to duplicate this sort of work.

Do you have any pictures of the machine that was used? I'm guessing it's a BIG horizontal mill. Is that the case?
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Lol - I fit right in....

It is a K&T Milwaukee Matic IIIb.. Around the first NC machines.. We converted it to linuxcnc a few years ago. It is my favorite machine to use..

Name:	oldkandt.jpeg
Views:	473
Size:	592.5 KB
ID:	1964538

Comment

The underside of a DP table is usually left as cast. What was your process for getting the table surface parallel to the machine tombstone?
        Last edited by reggie_obe; 10-04-2021, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
          The underside of a DP table is usulaly left as cast. What was your process for getting the table surface square to the machine tombstone?
          Looks like he used the column as his reference.

Comment

Exactly...

Originally posted by oxford View Post

Looks like he used the column as his reference.

Comment

Did you find the table out of wack in reference to the column? If so how much?

Comment

Dad mounted it on the mill. said it wasn't too bad - the first cut of .010" was a pretty consistent through the whole table.

(it is more than good enough for a drill press... )

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                Did you find the table out of wack in reference to the column? If so how much?
                Last edited by skunkworks; 10-04-2021, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
                  Dad mounted it on the mill. said it wasn't too bad - the first cut of .010" was a pretty consistent through the whole table.

(it is more than good enough for a drill press... )

I take it that table doesn't tilt left to right, just rotates around the column.

JL...............

Comment

I figured from the opening post that the goal was to remove the nasty ring from someone that ran a hole saw deeper then they were supposed to. Basically a cleanup since even the hole saw cut would not have caused any issues for use as a drill press.

I love the mill ! ! ! ! It would take up at least half of my garage shop. So it's not for me. But it's pretty darn cool! !
                    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

No - the table doesn't tilt... Funny story - that is why I bought this drill press - it had the rear tilting table and it fit my drill press... (only reason I bought it)

Name:	240990246_440888873944345_5898271739484571581_n.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1964666

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                      I take it that table doesn't tilt left to right, just rotates around the column.

JL...............

Comment

We found the mill in a junk yard in the mid 80's. We built a 40'X40' extention onto the building for these.. We actually had 2 K&T's but ended up using one for parts.. This machine uses the concrete (2ft thick pour) to connect the upright to the table.. Tramming was fun

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                        I love the mill ! ! ! ! It would take up at least half of my garage shop. So it's not for me. But it's pretty darn cool! !

Comment

I have always been looking out for an EB - kinda the little brother of ours..

Name:	71g8nMEzyuL.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1964669

Comment

Here is a recent picture of the K&T...

Name:	PXL_20210929_214426194.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	1964671

Comment

I had a feeling this was the drill press you had mounted on the mill in the first pic. How’s that skinny belt holding up? I have the same press that see minimal use but I think of upgrading to a proper sized belt one day.

Comment

Working...
                              X