No announcement yet.

Touching up a drill press table..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No issues with the pulley/belt setup... It is nice that it goes from 380 to 8550 rpm in 8 steps. Really easy to change ranges too... I grew up with it (dad bought his new the year I was born..) So I might be a bit biased... Seem perfectly able to handle the 1/2 hp motor on it.

Originally posted by oxford View Post
    I had a feeling this was the drill press you had mounted on the mill in the first pic. How’s that skinny belt holding up? I have the same press that see minimal use but I think of upgrading to a proper sized belt one day.

Comment

I like the capacity of the current tool magazine a lot better than the one in the literature. It looks just slightly overbuilt with those huge "chain links." Might be half the weight of the machine, haha

Comment

60 tools... all mechanically bar-coded..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Toolreader.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	786.7 KB
ID:	1964678

Originally posted by eKretz View Post
        I like the capacity of the current tool magazine a lot better than the one in the literature. It looks just slightly overbuilt with those huge "chain links." Might be half the weight of the machine, haha

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
          No - the table doesn't tilt... Funny story - that is why I bought this drill press - it had the rear tilting table and it fit my drill press... (only reason I bought it)

Click image for larger version  Name:	240990246_440888873944345_5898271739484571581_n.jpg Views:	28 Size:	76.6 KB ID:	1964666

OK, the table does tilt left to right. In the pic I can see the pin below the pivot bolt. So, the table was locked in position during set up machining and you relied in that as being good enough as well as the column being square to the table.

That was almost as tricky as setting up my DP head when I had to bore and sleeve it. The bore had to be located off the column. I had to make a short column for the set up.

Name:	Image040.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	1964684

JL............
          Last edited by JoeLee; 10-05-2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

When I bought my first real drill press (not the desktop ones) I thought I was getting something decent. I suppose it was for me at the time, but the shortcomings did start showing up. The table on mine has a stub for mounting in in a bore, and as such the table can be rotated. Turns out the stub and the table surface were pretty close to perpendicular, but the bore for the stub was not parallel to the column. Across the table I had 17 thou of tilt, and in a near left to far right direction. Initially I compensated by making a sacrificial table surface from mdf, and shimming it. That of course meant that if I rotated the table, the error would get really bad.

I don't know what to call the parts- one is the mount that rides the column, the other part goes onto the mount and has the bore on it to carry the table. This second part can be rotated and has a locating mark for 90 degrees. It's hard to tell which part has the error, though it could be both. I don't have a K 'n T, so I'll have to set these up on the Unimat for some truing cuts. Funny guy, yeah- realistically I'll just keep using it as is- mostly these days as an adjustable support for long pieces as I drill using my other, more accurate, drill press.

But here's an idea I had- make a temporary jig to mount on the column and first put it at the highest and drill a hole where the chuck comes down. Then mount the jig at the bottom of the column and use the hole as a guide for a long boring bar. Use that bar to hold a travelling cutter and rebore the table mounting hole. Shim that hole for a good fit of the tables stub. I seldom if ever tilt the table, so if I set it for 90 degrees and put in some alignment pins, I should be able to keep it there- obviously I do this before the machining.

And this all brings up a few more points- one is that I don't know if the spindle axis matches the column. I can set up to measure the nod, but it will be more difficult to see if there's a side to side tilt. I need to think about this some more- it will also be important to be able to set my jig.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

That is really cool. Where did you get the magnetic sensor? Is this something that has been used before? I have never seen it before.

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
              60 tools... all mechanically bar-coded..

Name:	Toolreader.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	786.7 KB
ID:	1964678

Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                OK, the table does tilt left to right. In the pic I can see the pin below the pivot bolt. So, the table was locked in position during set up machining and you relied in that as being good enough as well as the column being square to the table.

JL............
                The table in the pic that tilts bolts to the backside of the main table. He bought the drill press they milled for that table to bolt to a different drill press they already owned.

The table that they milled does not tilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                  That is really cool. Where did you get the magnetic sensor? Is this something that has been used before? I have never seen it before.
                  It's part of the original CNC, I'd assume. How to find and verify the tool to be used.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

That is original to the machine - they are actually knife switches that contact the rings on the tool shank.

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post

Comment

exactly right...

Originally posted by oxford View Post

The table in the pic that tilts bolts to the backside of the main table. He bought the drill press they milled for that table to bolt to a different drill press they already owned.

The table that they milled does not tilt.

Comment

Mostly back together. Had to replace the lower spindle bearing. It certainly isn't as nice as the commercial version (smaller quill and no split casting..) I am happy with the .002 run out. (which is 90% in the chuck.

Name:	drillpresstogether.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	1965353

Around this vintage.. Dad and I have the left one..

Name:	71.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	1965354

Comment

Working...
                        X