No announcement yet.

OT: Hydraulic powered chainsaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tree service came to remove two trees in our side yard. One a 40 foot blue Spruce, the other a large soft maple 3 foot dia trunk. Two guys a truck and a boom with a robot arm pincher and the hydraulic circular saw. One guy with a wireless remote controlled the robot arm the other guy made sure things got picked up and in the chipper. Two hours later they are done and pulling out.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Originally posted by IanPendle View Post
      As well as being very powerful for their size, they have another advantage - they can be used underwater.
      I knew a fellow that plied the waterways around San Francisco Bay, with a pile driver on a barge and a tugboat. He did salvage work and replaced pilings.
      I helped him out once, running a huge 1 man, reciprocating piling saw, used for underwater work. Later he gave it to me, figuring i would use it for my many dock side projects. Still have it. Savage looking thing. A Klingon could carry it into battle.

Comment

This is also cool

Helder Ferreira
        Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
          This is a hydraulic chainsaw I made for my excavator. It works great. I now can rotate the saw to cut at angles also.
          https://youtu.be/1PFG6jLU5cY
          Oh, dammit, now I have to do that! That's brilliant!

'Honey, I'll be out in the barn for the next 3 weeks- send the UPS guy my way when he shows up with the crates, ok?'

t
          rusting in Seattle

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias-B View Post

Oh, dammit, now I have to do that! That's brilliant!

'Honey, I'll be out in the barn for the next 3 weeks- send the UPS guy my way when he shows up with the crates, ok?'

t
            It is not so hard to build actually. The most complex part is the oil pump for the chain. On mine it is built sort of like a spring loaded syringe. When the valve is activated to supply hydraulic oil to the saw motor a hydraulic hose that is Tee'd into that hose pushes down the plunger that supplies an adjustable amount of oil to the chain. The chain oil is in a canister and when the saw motor is stopped and relieves pressure the spring pushes the piston up which sucks oil from the canister. It is very reliable and works a charm.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Farmer that I worked for as a teenager had one of those, on a 10-foot pole, IIRC it cost around $600 at the time, worked very well on the tractor hydraulics.
              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
              X