Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another diversion, thanks to a friends kindness.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another diversion, thanks to a friends kindness.

I delivered a long promised project to a friend .
    He gave me a box containing several high quality dial gauges in mint condition.
    .I have used them to replace some cheapies which I used as poor mans readouts. They will move on to another friend.
    As my newly acquired ones are so very clean and unmarked I am left wondering whether there are any ways to easily and conveniently cover them while not actually being read
    I have been looking round the kitchen at jar lids( Wife is away at the moment)but have not found any I think fit the bill yet.
    The keyway adventure will continue soon.
    Any ideas folks?
    Regards David Powell

Why not just machine some plastic round stock to fit? Jim

Comment

This would be a great project for a 3d printer. Some snap on face protectors.

Comment

Maybe you're looking for something like a miniature tea cozy? Just an idea.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I generally will drape a shop rag gently over mine when the chips are really flying.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
            This would be a great project for a 3d printer. Some snap on face protectors.
            I second this, though it is slightly difficult to print things without owning a printer

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post

I second this, though it is slightly difficult to print things without owning a printer
              That's true, I just felt this was a prime example to the age old question "Just what would I use a printer for". IMO they really shine for things like this. Sit down in the evening and model it up, slice it and print it. Wake up to a fresh baked item with your morning coffee.

Comment

Hi David,

What I do is get an old sock and cut the toe part off long enough to cover the dial gauge. I keep a couple around both the mill and the lathe. I have also grabbed them as a quick rag too.

Always a single sock around the house.....

TX
                Mr fixit for the family
                Chris

Comment

The new owner of my older quick change toolpost has a printer. Maybe he will help. Regards David Powell

Comment

A walk through the dollar store has produced many cheap repurposing ideas for me in the past also.

Comment

The you might check into scope covers for rifle scopes or if you need larger sizes look into spotting scope covers.

Hal

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post
                        I generally will drape a shop rag gently over mine when the chips are really flying.
                        Thats what I usually do. Clean red shop towel, I might spray it with a rust inhibitor of your choice.

The rag, not the tool.. JR

Comment

In the shop we used "caplugs" for all sorts of applications. Here's a link to the manufacturer:

https://www.caplugs.com/

Also available through McMaster:

https://www.mcmaster.com/protective-...pered-plugs-8/

They're not too expensive. Might be easier than trying to fabricate something.

Comment

I use the cap from a paint spray can. Had to cut a small notch to clear the locking screw on the DI.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
                              Hi David,

What I do is get an old sock and cut the toe part off long enough to cover the dial gauge. I keep a couple around both the mill and the lathe. I have also grabbed them as a quick rag too.

Always a single sock around the house.....

TX
                              And that is nearly a guarantee that you will find the other one of the pair within 24 hours!

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Working...
                              X