X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwin Dirnbeck
    replied
    Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
    Wow Doozer! I tend to agree with you 100%!
    Now, to beat the dead horse, that’s the way I feel about my lawn!!! (Stripes and all)

Sid

ps. I love the clean band cut over the torch/plasma.
    OH NO ,THE LAWN STRIPES.AGAIN OH THE HORROR.( Paraphrasing Col. Kurtz in Apocalypse Now) Edwin Dirnbeck

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    I have cut French bread for dinner guests on my DoAll bandsaw.
    Any excuse to use it is a good one.

-Doozer
    Cheap bastard, buy some fresh bread and you won't need the bandsaw

Leave a comment:

• Stepside
    replied
    Some things to consider in the choice etween the torch or the bandsaw. 1) Slower to cut but very little time to debur/clean-up 2) No HAZ on the leftover stock. 3) Electricity is cheaper than torch gases. 4) It is more attractive as a finished part. 5) It was good practice using the saw so when you need the skill level you are aware of what you can or cannot do.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    I have cut French bread for dinner guests on my DoAll bandsaw.
    Any excuse to use it is a good one.

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Dooz is correct. When you can, there is no harm and may be considerable benefit from doing a better job than "required".

However, you do have to make allowance for the actual job. If a flame cut piece is already better than needed, and time is short, by all means use the torch. Some things just don't need the "finish quality", and DO need to get done fast.

There is no sense taking extra time on a part to be correct to "tenths" if the tolerance is +- 20 thou. If you have time, sure, you can do it for practice. But if time is short, don't waste is on practice.

Leave a comment:

• barracudajoe
    replied
    Thats nice work!
    Back in the 70's & 80's we had to do a lot of hand burning with O/A torches. Unless you liked grinding a lot you quickly learn the tricks and techniques to make a smooth, clean cut. A few of my co-workers and I could make parts more accurately than the CNC burning tables we had at that time but not nearly as quick. I remember new employees, some recently graduates of welding schools, were amazed by what we were able to do as far as accuracy and the cleanness of the edge. Most of them didn't even know how to set the regulators or adjust their torch! I still have my collection of torch tips and use them in my shop on occasion though I usually use my plasma now a days. After 42 yrs working there, I was working in sales when I retired and the shop foreman told me that he didn't have anyone left in the shop that could actually burn out a part from a piece of plate or sheet! That's sad! When the burn table goes down, everything comes to a halt. They can't get by for a few days by having anyone make parts by hand while the burning machine is repaired!
    Anything over about 1 1/4" can be tuff by hand and takes a bit of time so on anything heavier we just used a track burner in combination and a circle cutter attachment if there was a curve on the part. The heaviest plate I remember cutting by hand was 3" thk. and I was glad I only had to make 2 cuts.
    As far as the heat affect zone, yes, a torch will always have that issue.

Leave a comment:

• sid pileski
    replied
    Wow Doozer! I tend to agree with you 100%!
    Now, to beat the dead horse, that’s the way I feel about my lawn!!! (Stripes and all)

Sid

ps. I love the clean band cut over the torch/plasma.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Nice Job TTT. Looks like a brute of a saw, and I like that feed mechanism. We have a pretty decent sized powematic saw at work, and leaning on it to cut stuff get's old after a while. I'd love to have a feed mech like that.

As to the method? Who cares. Do it however you want, with whatever you got. Personally I would have scoured kijiji for months/years for an older CNC for scrap price and retrofit it with new servos and linux CNC to cut the outer profile with resharpened HSS endmills I got out of the dumpster after the last local auction. I'd have to find an old planer (because my shaper isn't big enough) to take off that mill scale with a $0.75 chunk of hss. Then I would have looked for a used Jig borer to strip down and scrape/rebuild it back to it's original specs just to bore that hole, because fit and finish of a hitch pin is important for a proper connection. But not before I made my own chair edge finder based on Moore's design principles, because really, it's the only suitable way to pick up an edge.

I would then have to put the whole project on hold until 2033 until the next mercury venus alignment to ensure that everything was just right. Crops can wait, anything less than perfection on every part that comes across your bench is unacceptable. When you're standing in puddle with rubbers on hooking up an implement you need to know that it's 100% right, or the job just ain't worth doing in the first place. If you're not willing to give it 110%, just sell all your tools, and buy whatever you need down at the local home center. All the time saved not making stuff could be better put to use arguing with people on the internet like the rest of society.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    Now if TTT just wanted to demonstrate to himself and us that his bandsaw could do a fine job of it then that is fine. The end product would not be and different cosmetically or structurally if cut with a torch.

Leave a comment:

• mickeyf
    replied
    Doozer's button got pushed 😆!
    I recently got a plasma cutter. I have seen that it is possible to make very clean cuts with one, but I have not acquired that level of competence yet. Mine did let me cut through something that was nearly as thick as TT's cut, but since it's rated at more like 5/8 inch max it was a struggle and it looked pretty ugly when done. (That was just fine in this case - the important thing was that it actually got cut.) That Doall cut looks great, and if my bandsaw was able to cut the hard material I plasma cut without destroying the blade I would certainly have done that. In any case, "You Use The Tool You Got" not the one you wish you had.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post

I have a Doall AND a torch. It takes a good torch man (not me) to burn this 1 1/4 steel out . I COLUD do it with a torch .It would be ugly and need a lot of clean up. I KNOW that I can do this on my Doall with no problems. Also ,plasma cutting 1 1/4 is very rare in a home shop. Edwin Dirnbeck.
    TTT doesn't have a home shop. He has a very well equipped farm shop. Because of TTT's fabrication skills I bet he is pretty good with a torch. I could cut that with a torch and hit it on the belt grinder or big disk grinder in TTT's case and you would not know the difference between it being cut on the bandsaw. Pride in the work doesn't have anything to do with my question.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

Did you skip your meds today, again?
    If you don't fight for it, it will be taken away. Fact.

-D

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Because machinist vs. fabricator.

Never use a sheet metal screw when a machine screw will do.

I hate that people always want to do thing the quickest, cheapest way.
    If it is your stuff, you want to make it nice. People that just slap things
    together think they are setting the world on fire, and just to the minimum
    to get things done. No pride. Like sloppy electricians and plumbers.
    They think their work is buried in a wall and no one sees it, so why
    be neat about it. Short cut city. Eff it, it's not mine is the modicum of the
    world. You don't have to screw the other guy to make a way for yourself.
    People have it all wrong. Nice neat electrical or plumbing (OR MACHINE)
    work does get noticed and does get you RECOMMENDATIONS to do
    other work, because neat work MEANS YOU GIVE A SHlT. It is nice to
    see neat work, because if nothing else, it means the tradesman took time
    on the details of the job, if the whole presentation of the job looks neat.
    Does it take a little more money and time to do a neat job? Yes sure.
    But it always pays dividends to have a reputation as someone who's
    work looks good.
    Torch cut or bandsaw cut tractor drawbar ??? A bandsaw is higher on the
    scale of precision and alters the thermal properties of the steel in NO way.
    It is classy to have a better cut on a part than a burned out part.
    It puts pride in your ride. It shows the world that you put forth the effort and
    expense to own a bandsaw in your shop because you value cut quality
    over speed and sparks. It advertises your capability to do precision work.
    It is a step above. Each job is a reflection of the man who did the job.
    People today are quick to forget that. Get the cash and get on down the road
    is most prevalent. It used to be, give them a little extra, and they will come back
    the next time. Crazy thought, right ??? Well it used to be the normal.
    Bandsawing a tractor drawbar represents all of the above.
    Some people don't explain it like I did. Most would say, You either get it or you don't.
    It is one of those values that you either live by or you don't. You don't just casually
    give effort sometimes. You give it all the time. Remember the saying, if a job is worth
    going, it is worth doing right ? It is a lifestyle choice. When I started my career
    in high school at a lawn and garden store, I would put together implements.
    Light duty fertilizers and roto tillers and stuff. When I first opened my toolbox
    that first day on the job, I had a decision to make. Do I use a pair of pliers and a
    Crescent wrench to do this job, or do I use a 7/16 wrench and a 7/16 socket and ratchet?
    That decision point was pivotal in my career to come. I chose to leave the pliers and
    Crescent wrench in the toolbox. That was 30 years ago.

-Doozer
    Did you skip your meds today, again?

Leave a comment:

• Edwin Dirnbeck
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
    Nice cut but why wouldn't you cut that out with either a plasma or o/a torch. At least the outside cut.
    I have a Doall AND a torch. It takes a good torch man (not me) to burn this 1 1/4 steel out . I COLUD do it with a torch .It would be ugly and need a lot of clean up. I KNOW that I can do this on my Doall with no problems. Also ,plasma cutting 1 1/4 is very rare in a home shop. Edwin Dirnbeck.

Leave a comment:

• Texasbowhunter
    replied
    Pride in Workmanship says allot about a mans character...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X