Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Doall Cutting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Stepside View Post
    Some things to consider in the choice etween the torch or the bandsaw. 1) Slower to cut but very little time to debur/clean-up 2) No HAZ on the leftover stock. 3) Electricity is cheaper than torch gases. 4) It is more attractive as a finished part. 5) It was good practice using the saw so when you need the skill level you are aware of what you can or cannot do.
    The only part of this I agree with is needing or wanting the practice. If you know how to use a cutting torch correctly then there is very little grinding and clean-up. If I took that piece of steel to my belt grinder and slid it across the table on a 36 grit belt it would look better than a bandsaw cut. TTT had a valid reason for not using the torch. Time for the part to cool down. If I am in a hurry I can cool it with air or with my kool mister. Those of you poo pooing a torch because it would look bad don't know how to use a cutting torch.
    Location: The Black Forest in Germany

    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

      The only part of this I agree with is needing or wanting the practice. If you know how to use a cutting torch correctly then there is very little grinding and clean-up. If I took that piece of steel to my belt grinder and slid it across the table on a 36 grit belt it would look better than a bandsaw cut. TTT had a valid reason for not using the torch. Time for the part to cool down. If I am in a hurry I can cool it with air or with my kool mister. Those of you poo pooing a torch because it would look bad don't know how to use a cutting torch.

      BF I will come clean and admit using the over 70yr old Doall is kinda nostalgic for me.Every time I use it I think of the 1000’s of these Vertical Saws that were used in manufacturing & repair shops with operators standing for many hours a day with some doing internal sawing cutting & welding the blade numerous times in one shift.
      The pic below is 3/4” plate 24” cut took 16 min. Click image for larger version

Name:	A275D99C-CB94-49DE-8D06-22A74026EDD0.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	1965032

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

        The only part of this I agree with is needing or wanting the practice. If you know how to use a cutting torch correctly then there is very little grinding and clean-up. If I took that piece of steel to my belt grinder and slid it across the table on a 36 grit belt it would look better than a bandsaw cut. TTT had a valid reason for not using the torch. Time for the part to cool down. If I am in a hurry I can cool it with air or with my kool mister. Those of you poo pooing a torch because it would look bad don't know how to use a cutting torch.
        Well, technique won't 100% get rid of the HAZ.... You can minimize it if you are good, and it definitely does not have to have big goobers hanging from it.
        2730

        Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

        Everything not impossible is compulsory

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

          Well, technique won't 100% get rid of the HAZ.... You can minimize it if you are good, and it definitely does not have to have big goobers hanging from it.
          Just how much thick steel have you cut with a torch? Just how much fabrication have you done using thick steel? Just how much is a HAZ going to effect the final outcome of this part that will get welded into final place? OK, I didn't think so..
          Location: The Black Forest in Germany

          How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post


            BF I will come clean and admit using the over 70yr old Doall is kinda nostalgic for me.Every time I use it I think of the 1000’s of these Vertical Saws that were used in manufacturing & repair shops with operators standing for many hours a day with some doing internal sawing cutting & welding the blade numerous times in one shift.
            The pic below is 3/4” plate 24” cut took 16 min. Click image for larger version

Name:	A275D99C-CB94-49DE-8D06-22A74026EDD0.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	1965032
            I can totally relate to what you are saying. I sometimes use my shaper instead of the mill when the mill would make short work of the job.
            Location: The Black Forest in Germany

            How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

            Comment


            • #36
              I agree with Doozer. Great work TTT. I want a Doall now so I can slice bread and maybe other things.
              Nev.

              Comment

              Working...
              X