Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking water safe materials?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Any brass would be fine. The surface area in contact with the water is minimal, and it's not in contact with water except while the tap is on, again, a minimal amount of time. Good luck with your project, and please post a pic when your done!

    Jerry

    Comment


    • #17
      I remember when we would run the water for several seconds before filling a drinking glass- the idea was that you would be purging water that had been sitting in the pipes. Seemed like a good idea to me, and I still do it. As far as the plastic- being resistant to chlorine would make me feel better. Our water never used to have chlorine, but then the carcass of a bear was found in a creek feeding our water supply, and chlorine- or some derivative- is mandatory. Yes, I'd want my fittings to be impervious to it.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

      Comment


      • #18
        I'd be more concerned with possible leached chemicals from any type of plastic.
        If the filter is half decent, you should be able to make an adapter from pure lead and still be safe.

        Comment


        • #19
          How much of this adapter will there be? I made one years ago for a filter we have, and the adapter has so little surface area in contact with water that the faucet itself will contribute 100x more to the water than the adapter ever could.
          2730

          Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

          Everything not impossible is compulsory

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Doozer View Post
            Even leaded brass is fine.
            The lead almost immediately forms lead oxide
            and lead oxide is not harmful to humans.
            The trouble with Flint Michigan is the treatment plant
            put the wring chemicals in the water, and it dissolved
            the lead oxide, and the pure lead was leaching off
            and poisoning people.

            -Doozer
            Doozer

            I did not know that. I was taught lead paint was sweet and the reason kids ate it...
            Lead oxide? 50/50 solder lead / tin ... when used on copper pipes, does that get lead oxide over it and will it make it safe? Not trying to be a smart ass. I asking because I don't know. The next question is with hard water, and water softener, does it remove the oxide?

            I don't have plans on testing this by using 50/50 on my drinking water, just trying to learn.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by outlawspeeder View Post
              I did not know that. I was taught lead paint was sweet and the reason kids ate it....
              That parts actually true, ask the Romans. Lead acetate was used as a sweetener in ye olden times, the Romans made a drink called sapa using it

              Comment


              • #22
                what type of material are you going to tee off of, and why not put an appropriate filter on that can clean the water to your needs? Jim

                Comment


                • #23
                  Boy Howdy, the lead worry and mention of flint reminds me Michigan has had some doozies, at least the flint fiasco was contained to flint, how many remember the great PBB debacle? accidentally mixing the chemical into the animal feed supply as a healthy "supplement"... one of the worst mass poisonings of all time, thousands of cattle pigs sheep all executed and buried in a clay pit in an attempt to contain the toxic juices... that was the exact time i stopped drinking milk and eating dairy of any kind...

                  https://www.circleofblue.org/2018/wo...ns-pbb-crisis/

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    How much of this adapter will there be? I made one years ago for a filter we have, and the adapter has so little surface area in contact with water that the faucet itself will contribute 100x more to the water than the adapter ever could.
                    Of course you are right.
                    I would have just made the adapter of any new piece of brass I have. Minuscule amount of lead isn't an issue.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X