Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are these reamers for?????

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What are these reamers for?????

    A friend dropped these reamers off said they were in his fathers things, he had a gun shop many years ago,
    I neglected to add sizes ..371, .3695, .343, .312, .250



    Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2881.JPG Views:	333 Size:	832.6 KB ID:	1964964
    Last edited by rolland; 10-08-2021, 04:00 PM.

  • #2
    Are those tapered at all? First though is some sort of bridge reamer

    Actually, is the 'pilot' at the end the same diameter as the driven end?

    Comment


    • #3
      they might be for line reaming separated pairs of bushings, like those in carburetors for throttle shafts, etc.

      Comment


      • #4
        Chamber reamers ?
        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

        Lewis Grizzard

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
          Are those tapered
          They didnt look tapered to me until I lookrd closly. They look to have afine taper on them.

          I dont know, hahaa. Im not a machinist, obviously.

          I have some somall straigh cutting reamers, which these appear to be small.

          Mine are nothing like these. Those look like a drill bit grind. Dunno.

          My tiny reamers/ I lost my 6" rule for pics. So glasses it is. These are tiny. Dont expect to remve anything but a slight burr with these. If you do, you will snap it. JR

          Click image for larger version

Name:	20211008_000101.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	3.31 MB
ID:	1964977 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211007_235913.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	3.77 MB
ID:	1964978





          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Dave C View Post
            Chamber reamers ?
            Not that shape and length. They aren't even close to a chamber reamer shape.

            One thought was for reaming out bores prior to rifling. The long forward pilot could be for ensuring a straighter run. But they aren't long enough to do any sort of rifle barrel. And I've never seen any reference to reaming the bores after a gun drilling operation. So it's a mystery...

            Chilliwack BC, Canada

            Comment


            • #7
              gunsmith throat / neck reamers seem to come close but I never heard of them before
              --
              Tom C
              ... nice weather eh?

              Comment


              • #8
                Hard to tell without having even a hint of the diameter or length.
                Based on the "gun shop" teaser and built in pilot, I'll guess they are to ream shotgun barrel forcing cones or chokes.
                SE MI, USA

                Comment


                • #9
                  Given the length of the pilots vs the length of the flutes, I'm gonna guess for re-lining small-caliber pistol barrels?
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by andywander View Post
                    they might be for line reaming separated pairs of bushings, like those in carburetors for throttle shafts, etc.
                    That's a good guess id say...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think throat reamers too, Astro. For increasing "freebore", or distance to the rifling from the bullet, to accommodate longer bullets. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebore
                      Johnny

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                        Given the length of the pilots vs the length of the flutes, I'm gonna guess for re-lining small-caliber pistol barrels?
                        That's possible. But Brownell's only shows piloted drill bits for doing the prep work for relining. And nothing like that long a pilot. There'd be no need even on pistols for that long a pilot.

                        Same with the freebore option. There would be no need or desire for as long a pilot or cut to just push the beginning of the rifling lead out a very few thousandths.

                        I've been looking at this stuff as part of my interest in doctoring my own firearms and the stuff I've see that does the gunsmithing jobs mentioned don't look like these. As in not even close. So I'm thinking that it's from some other industry
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Or, (possible) custom-made reamers? Certainly they aren't in any catalog that I've seen. I can't think of any reason for that much pilot length other than concerns about accuracy.

                          Originally posted by BCRider View Post

                          That's possible. But Brownell's only shows piloted drill bits for doing the prep work for relining. And nothing like that long a pilot. There'd be no need even on pistols for that long a pilot.

                          Same with the freebore option. There would be no need or desire for as long a pilot or cut to just push the beginning of the rifling lead out a very few thousandths.

                          I've been looking at this stuff as part of my interest in doctoring my own firearms and the stuff I've see that does the gunsmithing jobs mentioned don't look like these. As in not even close. So I'm thinking that it's from some other industry
                          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                            ... I can't think of any reason for that much pilot length other than concerns about accuracy.
                            If you ever get the chance to ream some carburetor shaft bushings, you will see the reason immediately. The bushings are separated by at least an inch, and maybe as much as 2 or 3 inches.
                            Last edited by andywander; 10-09-2021, 04:52 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Like Andy said:
                              https://www.minimania.com/part/TOOL1...e-Shaft-Reamer
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	800600001tool12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	1965013
                              Not that they can't be used for any similar type of work.
                              What are the diameters? If they were used for pistol barrels, the diameters should match up to common calibers, no?
                              Last edited by Joel; 10-08-2021, 02:33 PM.
                              Location: North Central Texas

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X