Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repurposing a old foot press (pic heavy, machining content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repurposing a old foot press (pic heavy, machining content)

This thing was given to me, after a couple years of moving it around, I decided to do something with it.

Its a Riess foot operated press, circa 1922. Not much info out there on it other than some patent stuff. Best I could tell from the dies that are in it, and some history, it was used to rivet fan blades onto the hubs. I built a new shaft for it that takes .375 inserts and buried a magnet in it. Mainly for pressing the rivets into leather/kydex holsters. I also modified some punches to fit into it for punching holes into leather, gasket material and foam. I may thy to adapt some punches for doing small holes in sheet metal.and some dies for snaps as well

I kept the rivet dies, I do those type of rivets from time to time
    This thing beats monkeying with a arbor press!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by daveo; 10-09-2021, 05:42 PM.
    Feel free to put me on ignore....

Couple more

Attached Files

Comment

Looks practical!
      Southwest Utah

Comment

It really is, I'd like to figure out how much pressure it delivers. It works effortlessly compared to a 1 ton arbor press.

Comment

Force is likely not super-high, but better than many.

It looks like it may have been made to do split rivets, and more likely hollow or partly hollow rivets. It has more leverage than many split rivet presses.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Similar patent doc: https://patents.google.com/patent/US1513782A/en Several other patents, two automobile related, perhaps unrelated.
            Possibly the company today: https://www.scrapmonster.com/company...ucts-llc/89479

Comment

Very, very, VERY rough guess, but it looks like about 3 inches from the pivot to the work side, and maybe 10-12 from the pivot to the foot pedal side? Probably not getting more than a few hundred pounds of pressure out of it, but since thats all being done by body weight instead of arm strength its bound to feel effortless

Comment

common in auto shops back in 1930s to 1960s, used to rivet brake linings to brake shoe. On drum brakes.

Comment

When I saw it, my first thought was a machine to rivet brake linings onto the shoes. (way back in time)

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                  Oregon Coast

Comment

Good work, Daveo. Now let's see your holsters and their content.
                    Mike
                    WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Yes lets see some of your items you make. Lots of people(notice I wrote people and not men. Politically correct!) on here do leather work.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
                        When I saw it, my first thought was a machine to rivet brake linings onto the shoes. (way back in time)
                        My thoughts too. But we called it a " Kick Press "
                        Love the old tools !!

Comment

Having used one similar to it to rivet linings onto brake shoes back when I was an apprentice mechanic, I concur that was it's original purpose.

Comment

I never thought to take pics of the holsters! Lol... Here's one I carry everyday, a cross breed type. Inside the waste.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                              Yes lets see some of your items you make. Lots of people(notice I wrote people and not men. Politically correct!) on here do leather work.
                              Looking for an award or spreading your crusade ?

-D
                              DZER

Comment

Working...
                              X