Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hole saw ID? What are they really intended for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are aircraft hole saws for use on aluminum sheet metal. I used them in the industry. And yes, they are used in a hand-held air drill.
    Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bobm4360 View Post
      They are aircraft hole saws for use on aluminum sheet metal. I used them in the industry. And yes, they are used in a hand-held air drill.
      Bob
      Ah, thanks. That makes good sense with aircraft industry here.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

That also makes sense because with "McBoeing-Boeing" plant here there is a fair bit of aluminum machining in various local subs, and appropriate tooling is all over.

Still surprised they seemed sharp and backed-off correctly but would not cut the 7075.
        They look like the sort of thing that would be used by an aircraft factory and then sold off as scrap..... I sure do miss the tool room at their old surplus store....

If you have a very high magnification device perhaps inspect the teeth a bit more closely. They may feel sharp but perhaps the previous use has put a flat "no clearance angle" micro land of wear just at the edge? That would certainly cause it to feel sharp but not want to cut.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

22" circular blade with only 5 teeth
          !!!! I'd like to see that. Also, would like to see such a thing in action. 22" diameter with 5 teeth is over 1 ft between teeth. Must run pretty fast relative to feed rate for that to work.
          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

The best thing to do with the arbors before they're ruined is to grind or mill flats for holding in a drill chuck. I have a bunch of arbors along with those type hole saws and most of the arbors are chewed up from spinning in drill chucks. A couple of yours show signs of having spun in chucks,

Comment

Yes, several look like it. One has flats already (the one with the drill). I've put in a 1/4" rod as a pilot before, and it obviously stalls the drill without slipping.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

I would have guessed them to be for plexiglass and lexan. For that you'd want tiny flats on the teeth so they wouldn't dig in. Maybe the same for thin aluminum-
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                X