Hitch finally Finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitch finally Finished

As I posted about cutting steel plate with Doall Vertical Bandsaw thought I would follow up where parts where going.The hitch on rear of cultivator was to high and need lowering,so here is finished hitch less the paint. Click image for larger version

Name:	5BAD91B8-A81C-4496-9362-4E6D33F907FC.jpeg
Views:	482
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	1965196

"Hitch finally finished" made me think "divorce"

Nice job on that - you do good things in a BIG way!
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

It's way too pretty for paint.
      Some nice hot passes there, looks like anything hooked to it will be there when the day is done.
      Nice fab job.
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Great job! That hitch will still be going strong long after the cultivator is long gone. Those welds look great. What process did you use for the welds?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
          Great job! That hitch will still be going strong long after the cultivator is long gone. Those welds look great. What process did you use for the welds?
          Looks like 7024 "jet rod" to me. Whatever, he sure knows how to weld!
          I cut it off twice; it's still too short
          Oregon, USA

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
            "Hitch finally finished" made me think "divorce"

Nice job on that - you do good things in a BIG way!
            Never thought of it that way Paul, but I see your point.Thanks!
            Originally posted by Willy View Post
            It's way too pretty for paint.
            Some nice hot passes there, looks like anything hooked to it will be there when the day is done.
            Nice fab job.
            Just 2 passes Willy,Thanks.
            Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
            I’m sure it will out last me and that’s the important part lol! Thanks,did a first pass with 3/32 7018 then 5/32 7024 at 215 amps.
            Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post

Good eye Tim 7024 Jet Rod it is,it’s my favourite Rod for heavy iron.
            Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 10-10-2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Very nice! I didn't think they did much cultivating anymore (all chemicals) Could that be for chisel plow. Looks like you could hitch 1000 hp to it.

Comment

In my area there’s still a fair amount of tillage still done,we’re in a high moisture area typical.Yes it a type of chisel plow with NH3 knifes mounted on it for applying Nitrogen Fert,there will be a wagon equipped with a 1750 gal Tank connected to the new hitch.I’m confident the new hitch will outlast me lol!

Comment

3 T's you don't mess around --- id hate to be sporting it in the pea shooter and then have that thing in sight when my brakes failed... there'd be nothing left of me and your hitch would not even know the difference...

Tim's guess on the welding rod and then it actually being correct is one of the things that amazes me about this site...

Great fabricating. good work...

Comment

How's harvest looking this year Tundra Twin Track ? Did you get hit with the drought at all? From what I can tell our Ontario farmers have made out pretty good this year on wheat, soybeans, and corn. Veggie farmers near here had some issues getting the crops in because they couldn't get labour in to harvest them, it was a shame to see all the time, effort, and money just going to waste in the fields.
                    Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post

Good eyes. Even I could not tell what rod from the pics. A true professional !

-D
                      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                        3 T's you don't mess around --- id hate to be sporting it in the pea shooter and then have that thing in sight when my brakes failed... there'd be nothing left of me and your hitch would not even know the difference...

Tim's guess on the welding rod and then it actually being correct is one of the things that amazes me about this site...

Great fabricating. good work...
                        Tim must definitely have some mileage in the welding world!
                        Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                        How's harvest looking this year Tundra Twin Track ? Did you get hit with the drought at all? From what I can tell our Ontario farmers have made out pretty good this year on wheat, soybeans, and corn. Veggie farmers near here had some issues getting the crops in because they couldn't get labour in to harvest them, it was a shame to see all the time, effort, and money just going to waste in the fields.
                        We were affected more from the excessive heat than lack of moisture,about 80% of my land holds moisture real well so crop was decent.
                        Originally posted by Doozer View Post

-D
                        Tim has a good eye for sure,there a great rod for heavy plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

-D
                          Without zooming in I thought it was MIG. That's a damn nice weld.

I'm welding up a trailer hitch next weekend for hauling heavy trailers. I do have a 50lb box of 5/32 jet rod. Not labeled but self diagnosed by its behavior. Tempting to use it, but I don't stick weld like TTT. I'll probably stick to my guts and lay some heavy mig passes on.
                          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

That's a hitch that surely wont divorce anytime soon. Nice work. Wish I could weld like that. I love heavy stick welding but I don't get to do it often, and it certainly doesn't look that good lol.

Comment

Dan, you should try some 7024 rod. The high iron content of the coating and the very fluid puddle will leave you wondering if the bead you just left was an automatic weld process.
                              The rod likes to be dragged and is very easy to maintain and re-strike, the only caveat is that because of the fluidity of the puddle, it is a horizontal or flat weld only deal. Get much past 20° from that and it will be on your shoes.LOL
                              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                              X