No announcement yet.

Hitch finally Finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love those 7024's. Weld a long bead with them then watch the slag just lift off an inch high from the weld.
    You can really lay down some mass with them. They make a crappy weldor (me) look like a pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
      Dan, you should try some 7024 rod. The high iron content of the coating and the very fluid puddle will leave you wondering if the bead you just left was an automatic weld process.
      The rod likes to be dragged and is very easy to maintain and re-strike, the only caveat is that because of the fluidity of the puddle, it is a horizontal or flat weld only deal. Get much past 20° from that and it will be on your shoes.LOL
      If I can track some down, I'll pick up a box to give them a try. I'm going to get going on my sawmill project before the snow flies, so there will be lots of opportunity to try them out on that.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Without zooming in I thought it was MIG. That's a damn nice weld.

I'm welding up a trailer hitch next weekend for hauling heavy trailers. I do have a 50lb box of 5/32 jet rod. Not labeled but self diagnosed by its behavior. Tempting to use it, but I don't stick weld like TTT. I'll probably stick to my guts and lay some heavy mig passes on.
        I don’t own a Mig,been getting by with Stick&Tig all my friends and neighbours who have Migs give me a hard time about it.
        Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
        That's a hitch that surely wont divorce anytime soon. Nice work. Wish I could weld like that. I love heavy stick welding but I don't get to do it often, and it certainly doesn't look that good lol.
        Was testing it out on 200 acres today,l think it will outlast me lol!
        Dan, you should try some 7024 rod. The high iron content of the coating and the very fluid puddle will leave you wondering if the bead you just left was an automatic weld process.
        The rod likes to be dragged and is very easy to maintain and re-strike, the only caveat is that because of the fluidity of the puddle, it is a horizontal or flat weld only deal. Get much past 20° from that and it will be on your shoes.LOL
        There are definitely a joy to use,don’t let puddle get in front of rod and as I make Chips mentioned about Flux lifting off l grin when that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

There are definitely a joy to use,don’t let puddle get in front of rod and as I make Chips mentioned about Flux lifting off l grin when that happens.
          Yes I had totally forgotten about that little "feature".
          As much as I like the squirt gun welding's cleanliness insofar as not having to chip away the slag, often times the 7024 comes out more clean.

Damn fine job on the hitch Dale, glad you got a chance to "stress relieve" it today.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Yes I had totally forgotten about that little "feature".
            As much as I like the squirt gun welding's cleanliness insofar as not having to chip away the slag, often times the 7024 comes out more clean.

Damn fine job on the hitch Dale, glad you got a chance to "stress relieve" it today.
            Thanks Willy
            I was actually getting a little stressed out working on this in the heat of the season but got it done and up running,hope to be finished with it by the weekend.Some long days ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

I don’t own a Mig,been getting by with Stick&Tig all my friends and neighbours who have Migs give me a hard time about it.
              Same here. Never saw a need for MIG. In fact, my BIL has a nice 3-phase MIG welder but he's gone back to using an old Lincoln cracker box stick welder. When he needs a welder, it's usually a major project and he'll weld for hours a day but the rest of the time it just sits. The MIG wire kept getting crusty and tearing up the liner. And if there is any wind, forget about it (yes, I know, he could run flux core). Somehow, stick has been more reliable on the farm. I like having a TIG around my shop for fussy precision welds, but everything else is stick. 7024 is definitely a joy to use.

Comment

Working...
              X