replied
    Originally posted by no704 View Post
    Yep! Dammed autocorrects
    Got me too!

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by genea View Post
    Straight from the Atomic Energy Commission: https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/4284913-rIhXLE/

Bismuth, Tantalum, and Uranium too.

That was an good article. Up until I saw stellite in the mix? Kind of out of place in my opinion.. JR

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/periodic-table/

P.S. OSTI. Editor in need Ill take the Job). I only say that because they are a Univerxity based ORG.

"bstract

Techniqnes are presented which are applicable in machining materinls such as U, graphite, Ti, Zr, Th, Ta, Be, Bi, Li, and stellite.
    "
    Last edited by JRouche; 10-24-2021, 05:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chipmaker4130
    replied
    Originally posted by genea View Post
    Straight from the Atomic Energy Commission: . . .Bismuth, Tantalum, and Uranium too.
    That was interesting. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• no704
    replied
    Originally posted by deltaenterprizes View Post

Military is called a “sprue “, autocorrect may have gotten you!
    Yep! Dammed autocorrects

Leave a comment:

• genea
    replied
    Straight from the Atomic Energy Commission: https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/4284913-rIhXLE/

Bismuth, Tantalum, and Uranium too.

Leave a comment:

• deltaenterprizes
    replied
    I did cast it near to finish size. Need to cut off the spruces and clean it up.
    It is called a “sprue “, autocorrect may have gotten you!
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 10-17-2021, 08:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Any one do it? Really brittle crystal like stuff! Cast to near finished size. Any tips or tricks welcome!
    Almost seems like grinding “might “ be a better plan than trying to cut it.
    I didnt see any pics, thats my computers fualt..

Folks here have poo-poed on my liking of ball end mills.

I have them in solid carbide, Garr, SGS and all the rest. Razor sharp. If the flashing is all you are looking to remove I would concider a nice round nose bit. If it is some finishing contouring of the part I say the same. Find a good bit.

You might be suprised and be careful. A nice ball nose will still slice you. JR

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    Something like that- I'd think you'd want to use a shearing action to machine it.

Leave a comment:

• no704
    replied
    I did cast it near to finish size. Need to cut off the spruces and clean it up.

Leave a comment:

• chipmaker4130
    replied
    The 'flood' I mentioned above might be as simple as a temp-controlled air blast.

Leave a comment:

• Fasturn
    replied
    Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
    It has such a low melting point, I wonder if there is a more plastic state suitable for machining that could be attained with a temperature controlled flood. Sort of the reverse of 'coolant'? I'd imagine if such existed it would require very careful temperature selection and control.
    Agree it melts at 520f. Used in cerrobend. Can you pour mould it instead of machining it?

Leave a comment:

• chipmaker4130
    replied
    It has such a low melting point, I wonder if there is a more plastic state suitable for machining that could be attained with a temperature controlled flood. Sort of the reverse of 'coolant'? I'd imagine if such existed it would require very careful temperature selection and control.

Leave a comment:

• lbender
    replied
    Any one do it?
    Never tried to machine bismuth, but even grinding wants to tear out little crystals here and there.

Leave a comment:

• Tim Clarke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Im going to say grinding.

I know it's none of my bismuth, but what are you doing?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X