Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Machining Bismuth?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Machining Bismuth?

    Any one do it? Really brittle crystal like stuff! Cast to near finished size. Any tips or tricks welcome!
    Almost seems like grinding “might “ be a better plan than trying to cut it.

  • #2
    Im going to say grinding.

    I know it's none of my bismuth, but what are you doing?

    Comment


    • #3
      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
      Oregon, USA

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by no704 View Post
        Any one do it?
        Never tried to machine bismuth, but even grinding wants to tear out little crystals here and there.

        Comment


        • #5
          It has such a low melting point, I wonder if there is a more plastic state suitable for machining that could be attained with a temperature controlled flood. Sort of the reverse of 'coolant'? I'd imagine if such existed it would require very careful temperature selection and control.
          Southwest Utah

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
            It has such a low melting point, I wonder if there is a more plastic state suitable for machining that could be attained with a temperature controlled flood. Sort of the reverse of 'coolant'? I'd imagine if such existed it would require very careful temperature selection and control.
            Agree it melts at 520f. Used in cerrobend. Can you pour mould it instead of machining it?

            Comment


            • #7
              The 'flood' I mentioned above might be as simple as a temp-controlled air blast.
              Southwest Utah

              Comment


              • #8
                I did cast it near to finish size. Need to cut off the spruces and clean it up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Something like that- I'd think you'd want to use a shearing action to machine it.
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by no704 View Post
                    Any one do it? Really brittle crystal like stuff! Cast to near finished size. Any tips or tricks welcome!
                    Almost seems like grinding “might “ be a better plan than trying to cut it.
                    I didnt see any pics, thats my computers fualt..

                    Folks here have poo-poed on my liking of ball end mills.

                    I have them in solid carbide, Garr, SGS and all the rest. Razor sharp. If the flashing is all you are looking to remove I would concider a nice round nose bit. If it is some finishing contouring of the part I say the same. Find a good bit.

                    You might be suprised and be careful. A nice ball nose will still slice you. JR

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by no704 View Post
                      I did cast it near to finish size. Need to cut off the spruces and clean it up.
                      It is called a “sprue “, autocorrect may have gotten you!
                      Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 10-17-2021, 08:07 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Straight from the Atomic Energy Commission: https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/4284913-rIhXLE/

                        Bismuth, Tantalum, and Uranium too.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by deltaenterprizes View Post

                          Military is called a “sprue “, autocorrect may have gotten you!
                          Yep! Dammed autocorrects

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by genea View Post
                            Straight from the Atomic Energy Commission: . . .Bismuth, Tantalum, and Uranium too.
                            That was interesting. Thanks!
                            Southwest Utah

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by genea View Post
                              Straight from the Atomic Energy Commission: https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/4284913-rIhXLE/

                              Bismuth, Tantalum, and Uranium too.

                              That was an good article. Up until I saw stellite in the mix? Kind of out of place in my opinion.. JR

                              https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/periodic-table/

                              P.S. OSTI. Editor in need Ill take the Job). I only say that because they are a Univerxity based ORG.

                              "bstract


                              Techniqnes are presented which are applicable in machining materinls such as U, graphite, Ti, Zr, Th, Ta, Be, Bi, Li, and stellite.
                              "
                              Last edited by JRouche; 10-24-2021, 05:24 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X