No announcement yet.

leaf blower propulsion system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh crap, I was about to rejoice and give praise that Wile E. Coyote lives! He lives!
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Good enough scam to fool the news people and the OP.
      [blush]

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
        I don't see any BRAKES. :-)
        ...lew...
        Simple, just shift the umbrella up or to the sides and out of the way of the blower's blast... VOILA! Thrust braking ! !

I suspect that it's the reversal thing too thanks to the back curl of the umbrella. It may not work at all and certainly not as well if the umbrella was just a flat plate.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Having been fooled, I'd like to know by how much. Does anybody have a leaf blower and an unpowered skateboard (or little red wagon)? How much headway, if any, can be obtained by blowing on an umbrella?
          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post
            Having been fooled, I'd like to know by how much. Does anybody have a leaf blower and an unpowered skateboard (or little red wagon)? How much headway, if any, can be obtained by blowing on an umbrella?
            None. Newton's third law as quoted in Wikipedia:

The third law states that when one object exerts a force on a second object, that second object exerts a force that is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first object.

-js
            There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

None. Newton's third law as quoted in Wikipedia:

The third law states that when one object exerts a force on a second object, that second object exerts a force that is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first object.

-js
              You Sir deserve a gold star, and it's why I wrote my first response so carefully, I do wish this could have played out more to separate the "who's who" in the physics department lol More later...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

You Sir deserve a gold star, and it's why I wrote my first response so carefully, I do wish this could have played out more to separate the "who's who" in the physics department lol More later...
                Oh dear. Did I spoil the fun?
                There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

Oh dear. Did I spoil the fun?
                  Not totally - I think we netted at least 3 --- maybe 4 lol

Comment

I'm waiting for Musk to put some propellers on his cars to generate energy to run the car. The faster you go, the faster the prop turns, so the faster you go. It wouldn't be 0 to 60 in 2 seconds, but it could be LA to New York non-stop.
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                      I'm waiting for Musk to put some propellers on his cars to generate energy to run the car. The faster you go, the faster the prop turns, so the faster you go. It wouldn't be 0 to 60 in 2 seconds, but it could be LA to New York non-stop.
                      Jim --- with Darryls chime in make that 4 or 5... id call that a good day,

Remember when I stated in my first post "there's allot going on there" lol that was that third law of physics you cued in on,,, it's easy to see the cancellation of the two first laws,,, but bottom line is connect wind meters all around the guy and tell me which direction it's a blowin, lol

Comment

You underestimate Darryl. Very droll, Darryl!

-js

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post
                          I tried it when i was a bored teen in 1983. The neighbor's dog had a more useful torque curve. She would also fetch a beer if you said "Molson"
                          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                            There's allot going on there - at first glance it seems to defy propulsion physics as the unit itself is creating backward reaction and also the reverse thrust must be hitting the guy directly,,, I am surprised by the amount that's harvested for actual propulsion....

any way you look at it - one little pothole and that guys going to bloody his pug....
                            I don't know AK, sounds to me he hooked another one.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                              Too much of the essence of the thing would be lost if without the umbrella!

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                                While it hasn't yet been tried, it has been written about in a book written by ex-astronaut Addison 'Skip' Carmichael: The Trans-Linear Vector Principle

Comment

Working...
                                X