No announcement yet.

leaf blower propulsion system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely more BS than anything else going on there, well other than the powered skateboard.
    The theatrics are overdone a bit what with the selfies and arms a shaking from all the power he's holding onto. give me a break.

Every dog has his day though and that dog has had his laughs, can't go down on him too hard for fooling a lot of folks without any harm done.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I'll wait till I find out for sure that there's not a little canister of nitrous oxide strapped to the other side of the blower lol

The "whiplash" upon take off was puke worthy --- but holding an umbrella at arm's length whilst blasting it with a leaf blower will cause some very erratic behavior, maybe not quite to his degree but trying to balance in the cart some and multi tasking other things (like his remote for the electric board? lol)

But in allot of ways im like you - allot of laughs in my department listening to others initially thinking that reverse thrust was unachievable --- "physics be damned" ...

Comment

I don't think that anybody doubted the concept of reverse thrust...just not to the degree eluded to by the video.

Comment

^^^^ Exactly Willy.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
            I don't think that anybody doubted the concept of reverse thrust...just not to the degree eluded to by the video.
            My best guess is that it's all "gravity fed" with very mild propulsion from the "apparatus" I say this because of that one "abrupt start", if it was electric why would it not have showed the whole picture --- it's intentionally cut off at the base because he got a big shove on the bucket with a foot that's why lol

Comment

Bottom line seems to be that the guy is basically a liar.

He may be an amusing liar, but a liar just the same.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                Bottom line seems to be that the guy is basically a liar.

He may be an amusing liar, but a liar just the same.
                A small part of my is still wishing that Wile E. Coyote could come true, just for once, in some small way. And engineers the world over would rejoice.
                25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

another proto type coming up --- stay tuned cuz this ones extremely refined :-)
                  This was a reply of mine to chipmaker yesterday,,, I had such good results with the reverse thrust cone that I thought I had an even more refined idea,,, well - post your successes - and post your flops,,, it's all for the learning right?

my physics "minds eye" told me to build this as it would cut down on turbulence therefor increasing the reverse thrust speed and still cancel out the initial thrust from the air gun effectively,

its a 5/8" ball end mill walked around a center stalk,,, it made thrust but not as good as the cone... and I know It looks like I got the air gun nozzle too close in the one pic but I did try it at different distances - it's a flop... the cone actually beats it by a pretty fair margin,,, makes a cool sound though :-(

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05848.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1966048

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05829.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	1966049

Comment

Actually it mimics to some extent the combustion bowl in the piston of some diesel engines.
                    They are shaped this way to enhance turbulence. The air nozzle is pointed in the location the fuel injector nozzle would be pointed at.

Comment

A little bit Willy - except for those undercut lips on the outer part - I can see that creating quite the mix up - which like you say would be wanted for that application but not mine I would think...

Edit; what's the coating on the skirt - moly d?
                      Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 10-15-2021, 04:14 PM.

Comment

It's Mahle's secret coating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-N6Gsh4tuk&t=171s

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                          So common shoe polish? lol just kidding - those things are purdy,,, good company - iv ran Mahle's in many a vehicle same with Kolbenschmidt's (back when I was driving Kraut cars)

Back then they were about twice as heavy as they are now - to get the same job done, refinement has caught up with allot of things, thank god...

Guess where Kolby's are being built now? ehh - lets not get the thread locked...

Comment

Just imagine how much farther this guy could have gone if he'd been holding a leaf blower and umbrella......
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wAjpMP5eyo

Dave

Comment

It is possible to power a rail car with a large fan and human power (probably equivalent to less than 200 watts). So why couldn't a leaf blower with probably 1 or 2 HP work for the guy in the slop bucket?

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                                It is possible to power a rail car with a large fan and human power (probably equivalent to less than 200 watts).
                                You can also move a boxcar with a pry bar.

I think what the guy has done is a great gag and I love it. As already mentioned, the mop bucket is obviously mounted on an electric skateboard. Consider pushing a 200 lbs person around in a mop bucket, and the amount of force required - especially to accelerate. You can also see the control module on the bottom of the skateboard. The wireless remote is mounted on the handle of the leaf blower.

I own several leaf blowers, including a backpack model, and they just don't make much thrust. They are, quite literally, a non-starter. Consider the guys who have powered bicycles with turbochargers converted into turbojets. I love those conversion projects. They use a lot of fuel, make lots of heat and energy, are very cool-scary.. And the acceleration, even with large easy rolling bike tires, is weak.

An alternative way we can over-analyze this is to use calculators and formulae for duct fan models. That might be fun.

This is a cheap adult size electric skateboard, in long board form.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303995605957

Comment

Working...
                                X