OT again- heating blanket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT again- heating blanket

Not a matter of national security- but since I started using this electric blanket, the bed covers will not stay in place. The blanket is very slick, so I can kind of understand it. I have to get up in the middle of the night- not to pee but to put the bed back together. This morning, the top sheet was halfway up the bed, but still more or less in the middle. The electric blanket was mostly off to one side, one blanket was skewed almost 90 degrees, and the other two were off the other side in a bundle. I'm laughing about it- and I hope you all are too- but I really would like to wake up just ONCE and find the bed in the normal state I'm used to. Actually I'd like it that way most of the time, not just once.

I'm thinking of sewing the stack of blankets together- or maybe just using some big safety pins. Yes, I can avoid where the element wires are. I also thought of sewing some straps to the sides of the blankets and tucking them under the mattress on both sides. Or- I could just pin the bottom edges of the blankets to a cloth strip which I then pin to the mattress at the bottom edge. Anybody got any better ideas?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Usually, electric blankets are used directly over the mattress with a sheet over them. You could use adhesive Velcro strips to stick it to the mattress and a elastic under sheet (what ever they are called in your country) over the blanket/mattress
    Helder Ferreira
    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

I'm using mine over the top sheet- actually I have one thin blanket over the top sheet with the electric blanket over that. If I put it under the bottom sheet, I'll be kicking the ---- out of it. This thing has what appears to be a 2-1/2 hr time on period, and what's working for me is a pre-heat time of about 1-1/2 hrs. On a particularly cool night I'll put it on low just before I go to sleep which puts it on for another 2-1/2 hrs. I don't fall asleep easily, so I usually read for awhile. Last night it timed out on me just before I fell asleep. Of course, none of this affects where I find the blankets when I wake up.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I put an old brushed cotton fitted sheet (the sort with elastic corners that fits over and down the sides of a mattress) over the top of the electric blanket, and then the sheet I actually sleep on over that. Don't have any problems with bedding sliding around.
        'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Ditch the electric blanket and get yourself an electric mattress heating pad. It goes on the mattress first, followed by a mattress pad, then your fitted sheet. The heat flows UP into the bed, not OUT over the top, like a blanket does. I've used one for over 40 years and I love them. Other than the 64 types of cancer they gave me, they're great (just kidding, of course)!

Comment

Sorry, over here in the UK, an electric blanket fits under the sheet, on top of the mattress. I didn't realise you guys call it an electric mattress heating pad. My bad.
            'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
              This morning, the top sheet was halfway up the bed, but still more or less in the middle. The electric blanket was mostly off to one side, one blanket was skewed almost 90 degrees, and the other two were off the other side in a bundle.
              ... Anybody got any better ideas?
              Have you tried not leaving the Magic Fingers on all night?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1016_fingers.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1965644

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P Wilson View Post
                Sorry, over here in the UK, an electric blanket fits under the sheet, on top of the mattress. I didn't realise you guys call it an electric mattress heating pad. My bad.
                We have both over here. Electric blankets come in all sorts of colors, meant to be put on the top of the bed. A mattress pad is white and meant to be under the fitted sheet, or completely out of sight.

Comment

Funny thread, I just assumed it was all common knowledge. Say 50 years ago electric blankets were under the bottom sheet and only rated for pre-warming the bed not safe to sleep on as the insulation might break under your weight and cause a hot spot and burns/fire. Single temperature so would also be too hot with your body heat as well. Then they brought in overblankets that are a different design, with variable temperature, deigned to safely use all night above the top sheet but under several blankets to make it easier to balance the temperature. They must not be used under your weight unless specifically rated to do so. They have tended to fall out of use in the UK as people all got gas central heating and just overheat their bedrooms.
                  I gave up using one two or three decades ago as i read that the body naturally needs to use some energy overnight keeping warm but also adjusts its core temperature down to sleep better as evolution happened without electricity. Not using energy overnight with a western diet can contribute to obesity. I find a modern duvet and an open window healthier.

Comment

I doubt that the problem is with the blanket itself being slippery. I think you just don't adjust well to the extra heat, and throw it off yourself while asleep. That's your cue to not use it!

When I was a kid, I slept in a room that had 7 windows. Two walls had windows all along them, and the bed was along one of them. When it went to nearly -40C at night, that would get somewhat chilly with those leaky windows. I did try an electric blanket, but couldn't deal with it even in those conditions. Just too much heat.

Likely you are the same.

Most men seem to prefer fewer blankets. Most wives seem to pile them on when the weather is cold outside, without considering that it is warmer inside (and then throw them off them and onto you during the night). Electric blanket is like having 5 extra thick blankets plus the dog, not too comfortable.
                    Last edited by J Tiers; 10-14-2021, 03:42 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Last night I pinned the blankets together at the bottom edge only. This morning I just pulled on the bottom sheet, then the next blanket, then the heating blanket, then the top blanket. It mostly all came back into alignment. But when I go to wash the sheets I'll have to unpin everything, just because of the way I pinned it to the mattress. That's going to get old fast.

I'm liking the fact that the bed is already warm when I get into it. I like that the blanket turns off about an hour after I get into bed. I like to have a window open as well, so when it starts to get cold outside. I'm going to like that I can put it on low just before I go to sleep, and get another 2-1/2 hrs of warmth to get me to 4 am or so. I think that will be fine. JT- you're probably right- if I get too warm I'm probably kicking the blankets every which way. Just wait til it gets cold enough that I put the comforter over the whole thing- that'll be one more thing to fight with.

Comment

Not a matter of national security- but since I started using this electric blanket, the bed covers will not stay in place. The blanket is very slick, so I can kind of understand it. I have to get up in the middle of the night- not to pee but to put the bed back together. This morning, the top sheet was halfway up the bed, but still more or less in the middle. The electric blanket was mostly off to one side, one blanket was skewed almost 90 degrees,
                        Well, us warm weathered folks have some issues with bed coverings also. Ill chase the edge of the banket to just cover my body.

You had to bring up the electric banky. We could never afford to run on and yet I bought one. Yeah, it gets to 40 here

Maybe some velcrow "tabs" every once in a while to make a nice secure seam that is easily seperated? Not a full seam, just a 2" slice every 2'
                        JR

Comment

I like that the blanket turns off about an hour after I get into bed.

This doesn't sound like an electric blanket, but more like a heating pad. Most EBs that I'm familiar with have a single 10 hour timer. They also have controls that allow you to set the temp that you are comfortable with, from barely on to full blown Mount Vesuvius.

A heating pad is NOT to be slept on, because burns from it can occur (that's what they say).

Comment

Well, I bought a small (50" x 60") electric blanket (Sunbeam brand) a couple of days ago and I really like it. It only has 3 heat ranges and I found the second one is just a little too warm but the first is quite nice. Oh, and it auto shuts off after three hours.

Comment

That's the one I bought. I put it on high for awhile before hitting the sack, then forget about it after that. We had a particularly cool night a few nights ago, so just before going to sleep I put it on low. That gives me a bit of extra warmth until about 4 am. Seems just about right.

Today I got more dental work done, and since I hardly slept at all last night, I went back to bed after I got home. I put the blanket on high, but I was only in bed for a couple hours. The blanket was still on when I got back up- and it was too warm, almost hot. So that's kind of my clue- I don't want to run two cycles on high, just the first one. I'm using one of those memory foam mattresses, and it's dense enough that it takes time to warm up. It does not get uncomfortably warm for the first cycle on high, but it's nice to have the mattress warmed up. Today the bed was already warm when I popped back into bed, so that's why it got almost too warm later. I think the way I'm using the blanket (or throw, because that's more what it is) is perfect- one thin blanket over the top sheet, then the electric, then the rest of the blankets.

By the way, I now have the blankets pinned together on three sides, and the whole sandwich still moves around quite a bit, but this seems to be the right way to do it. I can make the bed without having to tear the whole thing apart first.

Comment

Working...
                              X