I was given a lathe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was given a lathe!

A man that runs a big recycling plant just over the border in Switzerland was a our farm today. His daughter wants to take riding lessons. We got to talking and he seemed interested in some of my projects going on around the farm so I showed him my shop. He was quite fascinated with my shop. He told me he is a woodworker and not so much into metal. When he looked at my Stanko lathe he asked me if I needed another lathe. He has a lathe at his shop that no one has used in 20 years and asked if I wanted to have it. I asked how much and what was it. He didn't know the make but he said it was as big as my Stanko which weighs around 7000 lbs. He said you could press some buttons and enter some info and it moved by itself. His description not mine. He said he would go home and get some pictures on Monday and send to me. He said it runs perfectly and is clean, not covered in dirt and rust just no one uses it and never will. It is in the way. He might even deliver it to me.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

You were given a CNC lathe, not just a lathe... You suck

Comment

X2!

Comment

I've been given stuff, but never like that! Lucky bastard. Now, about those riding lessons ...

Comment

Lucky bastard indeed, and possibly even delivered no less.
          Major YOU SUCK!

I hope you charge him double for his daughter's riding lessons.
          You know of course that your wife will remind you every day how little is getting done around the farm now that you have yet another project deferring your attention away from what really needs doing.
          Save yourself the aggravation and have him ship it to me. Tell him not to worry, I'll pick it up at the nearest port and bring it home myself.
          Sheesh, the things I don't do for people!
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
            Lucky bastard indeed, and possibly even delivered no less.
            Major YOU SUCK!

I hope you charge him double for his daughter's riding lessons.
            You know of course that your wife will remind you every day how little is getting done around the farm now that you have yet another project deferring your attention away from what really needs doing.
            Save yourself the aggravation and have him ship it to me. Tell him not to worry, I'll pick it up at the nearest port and bring it home myself.
            Sheesh, the things I don't do for people!
            Willy your kindness knows no bounds!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

When someone is that nice to you return the favour and let trespassers walk all over your property.
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Congrats on your new employee. Sounds like his daughter is riding for free . Is this the definition of "horse trading"

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                  When someone is that nice to you return the favour and let trespassers walk all over your property.
                  Nope. Ain't going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                    Congrats on your new employee. Sounds like his daughter is riding for free . Is this the definition of "horse trading"
                    Please show a little decorum on this site. You shouldn't use words like free so loosely at least not when you think I should be giving away free stuff.

Comment

O1000
                      T1 M6
                      G0 G90 G40 G21 G17 G94 G80
                      G54 X0.0 Y0.0 S500
                      M117 You Suck !

Comment

What RB211 said......x10.

Oh, and congratulations. Hope it turns out to be something you can use. Please share the photos with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

Please show a little decorum on this site. You shouldn't use words like free so loosely at least not when you think I should be giving away free stuff.
                          Sorry, I should not have used the word free. I should have used "discounted". The amount of discount would depend of course on the scrap weight differential of both his daughter+horse and the lathe, and also both their abilities to follow simple commands, like whoa/m00, g01/trot, g00/canter, etc.

Comment

that's a coincidence, I was given a CNC lathe today as well, a Mazak quickturn 20....working. right place, right time.
                            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Congrats, BF! You forgot to mention how much he wanted for it, so, based on the title, I have to assume it was a gift.
                              I only hope he is not a Danaan ("Beware of Greeks bearing gifts").
                              Mike
                              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X