I was given a lathe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
    that's a coincidence, I was given a CNC lathe today as well, a Mazak quickturn 20....working. right place, right time.
    Looks like you may have to clear out some space in the living room.

I guess good things happen to good people, no wonder all I got today was a stack of bills in the mail and only one, so far, free Bahamas cruise phone call.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

Nope. Ain't going to happen.
      Well at least limit your response to a minor wound and not a fatality.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post

Looks like you may have to clear out some space in the living room.

I guess good things happen to good people, no wonder all I got today was a stack of bills in the mail and only one,
        kind of you to say so. This ones going to the plant (more for play/learning than production). Its not huge as commerical CNC lathes go, but is still 9000 lbs. Neither the wife or the living room floor would put up with it.

I work with a young engineer and he and I get a kick out this stuff so we'll be working together to get it running. A year or two ago I was given 2 cnc mills, 2 cnc brake presses, a large cnc saw, huge surface grinder...I'm like yahooo, the mother lode! Sigh, but crap is wrong with everyone one of them and it takes so much friggin time to correct....and during the day I'm supposed to be working on the biz not futzing around with machines. They are all still all just sitting there. Currently scrapping one of the Mazak mills.....plant manager just wore me down that he needs the space until i said ok, scrap it. I don't have time to fix it and can't get anything for it; industry doesn't want an old mill with issues and its too heavy for home shops. This lathe is suppose to work so hopefully I can break out of the pattern!

I should have two Schaublin 102's arriving next week, long story, and I am clueless on where I'm going to put them. God help me if I can't finagle it so their arrival happens when the wife is out of the house lol
        Last edited by Mcgyver; 10-15-2021, 05:11 PM.
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post

Well at least limit your response to a minor wound and not a fatality.
          Dead men tell no tales. That's why BF has a manure lagoon. no police diver is going into that!

Comment

kind of you to say so. This ones going to the plant (more for play/learning than production). Its not huge as commerical CNC lathes go, but is still 9000 lbs. Neither the wife or the living room floor would put up with it.

I work with a young engineer and he and I get a kick out this stuff so we'll be working together to get it running. A year or two ago I was given 2 cnc mills, 2 cnc brake presses, a large cnc saw, huge surface grinder...I'm like yahooo, the mother lode! Sigh, but crap is wrong with everyone one of them and it takes so much friggin time to correct....and during the day I'm supposed to be working on the biz not futzing around with machines. They are all still all just sitting there. Currently scrapping one of the Mazak mills.....plant manager just wore me down that he needs the space until i said ok, scrap it. I don't have time to fix it and can't get anything for it; industry doesn't want an old mill with issues and its too heavy for home shops. This lathe is suppose to work so hopefully I can break out of the pattern!

I should have two Schaublin 102's arriving next week, long story, and I am clueless on where I'm going to put them. God help me if I can't finagle it so their arrival happens when the wife is out of the house lol
            My wife was great with the news that I am maybe getting another lathe. She was genuinely happy for me. I don't remember if I told her it was free. She was just happy that I was happy.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

So long as we're talking about free lathes - I'm sure I could help you with that dilemma

Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                You were given a CNC lathe, not just a lathe... You suck
                Hopefully it’s good but I would hold out on the You Suck until he actually sees the lathe. It could turn out that the current owner deserves the “you suck”.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                  My wife was great with the news that I am maybe getting another lathe. She was genuinely happy for me. I don't remember if I told her it was free. She was just happy that I was happy.
                  thats only half the data set.....mine was thrilled for me as well for the first dozen. Its tongue in cheek, she doesn't really care, but she's probably the saner of the two realizing we want to move before too long. I have the machinist disease, if I see a high quality machine and I don't own one, I want it!

Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                  So long as we're talking about free lathes - I'm sure I could help you with that dilemma
                  The Schaublins weren't free, not stupid, but not free
                  Last edited by Mcgyver; 10-15-2021, 06:58 PM.
                  in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Mcgyver, getting a free lathe is like someone ahead of you paying for your order in the Timmies drive thru. You must pay it forward to keep some good karma and since you mentioned 2 new Schaublins on the way.......and Tom asked first......

Comment

that's a coincidence, I was given a CNC lathe today as well, a Mazak quickturn 20....working. right place, right time.

wish I'd known, I just sold a bunch of tool blocks and bushings that would have fit it..

Comment

BF- are you going to go see the lathe before he delivers it?
                        It will be interesting to know the backstory about why he has it in the first place.
                        Maybe he thought he could turn spindles with it??

Sid

Comment

I learned a long time ago that 'free' is not always a good price.

lg
                          no neat sig line
                          near Salem OR

Comment

When someone is that nice to you return the favour and let trespassers walk all over your property.

Nope. Ain't going to happen.
                            Well by definition, when you "Let them", they are not "Trespassers", but "Guests".
                            "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

If it was raining soup I'd get a fork.

JL....................

Comment

thats only half the data set.....mine was thrilled for me as well for the first dozen. Its tongue in cheek, she doesn't really care, but she's probably the saner of the two realizing we want to move before too long. I have the machinist disease, if I see a high quality machine and I don't own one, I want it!

The Schaublins weren't free, not stupid, but not free
                                I just realized my wife might have an ulterior motive. If she leaves this weekend with the empty horse trailer in tow my free lathe maybe just got real expensive!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                                X