O.T. cost of running a pilot light???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. cost of running a pilot light???

So --- not for winter cuz it's all going to heat anyways and I welcome that, but I got a gas cook stove that runs three of them - one for the oven which is rarely used and two for the cook top which is used almost daily,,,

also got a gas dryer and a gas furnace but both are electric ignition so not an issue - hot water heater is pilot but I look at that as welcomed "maintenance" heat just like the gas cook stove in the winter month's --- no harm done, even in the summer months for the water heater as it's constantly bleeding off heat due to poor engineering and no flue shut off (older tank)

anyhoo --- get on line to check out "cost of running a pilot light" and most sites telling me 10 to 20 bucks a month lol that would put me over my total gas bill in most winter months just with keeping my cook stove lit lol not to mention heating the house and water and then drying the cloths lol

so ----------- can't trust on line BS but can trust most of the guys on the site ---- what say you? how much it cost to run a pilot light ?

and I know there are different pilot light's - ones that have to be larger to engage a thermocouple and tiny ones that just need to stay lit under my stove top...

a breakdown of the two types with a mean average of gas prices in mind would be appreciated....

This might be the last useful season for the cook stove before I go electronic ignition ...

bottom oven is thermocouple and four top burners are two small pilots...

Every gas stove I ever used had a piezo element to generate the spark, or I would use a lighter if it didn't work. Is your gas stove from the 50's?

Comment

Having always had (and preferred) stoves with pilot flames, I can tell you that when I had an apartment in which I paid the gas bill for the stove only, my bill was always the minimum billing amount. That stove had two topside pilots, and an oven pilot.

Anyone who says that one pilot flame will cost you 20 bucks a month has their head screwed on wrong, OR is saying that because they want people to run screaming from such stoves (basically telling a lie to further a political viewpoint).

Maybe the total of all of them might get close. I have three in the stove, and one each on the furnace and water heater. All 5 together may be a few bucks. At 20 bucks each, that should be a hundred bucks just for the pilots, and that is definitely total BS.

I'm presently looking for a "new old" gas stove. Preferably a Viking 36" wide, possibly an Aga, or, if I am driven to having to accept it, a Wolf. Pilot flames required!

There are two types of stove that I have seen other than pilot flame types.

One is the type that requires electricity, where the gas valve will NOT open unless the heater-type igniter has reached ignition temperature. The other is the type where you turn to an ignition position and there are sparks to ignite the flame.

The first type leaves you cold if the electricity is out. NO way to get the stove to light without proper electric. But the good news is that there is also no way to blow up your house while you are out by accidentally turning a burner partly on (by brushing against the knob, maybe). Even if you did that, and got the knob to a position that lets gas through, the igniter would light the gas, and a normal flame would result.

The same thing happens with a pilot, the gas would maybe go "whuff", but would just light the burner.

With the type that lights when you turn it to the ignition position, you absolutely can blow up your house. Any knob position short of the ignition position will just let gas through and keep letting it out until the gas reaches something that ignites it, and the place blows up.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
        So --- not for winter cuz put me over my total gas bill in most winter months just with keeping my cook stove lit lol not to mention heating the house and water and then drying the cloths lol

so ----------- can't trust on line BS but can trust most of the guys on the site ---- what say you? how much it cost to run a pilot light ?
        I say BS and might be a sales thing.

I along with most of us hate piolet lites, right. We grew up with them in our stoves and everything else, to our furnases.

The only one I have is the water heater. And I do not like waiting there with the lighter till the element gets comphy warm enough to let the gas flow. We have all been there. JR

Comment

Whatever it costs expect it to double this winter and add an amount for the inflation taking place now. If you are retired expect your IRA payout to drop as the value of your investment drops. The cost of the pilot light is insignificant compared to the big picture.

Comment

You know what costs even more than pilot lights and winter heat?
            Circuit boards for 5-year-old appliances.
            I'm not even going to play their game any more.
            In the last 10 years, I have gone through more stoves than my mom had in her entire *life*
            Color me disgusted with "business ethics".

My next stove will have pilot lights, I watch craig list.
            Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 10-16-2021, 10:08 AM.
            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
              You know what costs even more than pilot lights and winter heat?
              Circuit boards for 5-year-old appliances.
              I'm not even going to play their game any more.
              In the last 10 years, I have gone through more stoves than my mom had in her entire *life*
              Color me disgusted with "business ethics".
              hmmmmmmmm ---- that's a damn good point...

Comment

hmmmmmmmm ---- that's a damn good point...
                Thank you. Like I say, I'm watching Craigs list for the next stove.... it will have pilot lights.

Comment

Yep all the talk about the enviroment and green energy and the trend is to build disposable appliances.

Comment

I just got my gas bill recently and did not open it till this morning, it's only 23 bucks - so many charges but I think the one that matters is commodity charge as it list the CCF and it's just over 5 bucks,,, while im not using gas to heat the house yet that leaves the hot water heater and the cook stove and clothes dryer in on the 5 bucks,,, even if the pilots were the culprit for all the use it would be just over a buck a month to run one,,,

I don't believe the water heaters pilot all added up for one day could achieve what one blast could to heat up the tank from it's kick in point to turn off...

cook stove depends im sure as some days I barely use it --- but others im sure again I far exceed all three pilots demands...

so to take a wild stab at it im going to say the more robust water heaters flame with thermocouple might be 25 to 50 cents a month, totally acceptable as like I said it's not all wasted cuz there's a little "maintenance heat" being absorbed and I bet it helps the tank keep from kicking on sooner,,, (ever so slightly of course)

and the cook stoves tiny little pilots combined - along with it's thermocouple lower flame maybe 50 cents to a buck?

pretty much a non-issue im thinking, and again about 1/3rd of the time its just adding to heat the house and that's welcomed,,,

the only way something like this could turn into a factor is if someone lived in year round hot climate and humid to where they cannot use a swamp cooler and had to use AC,,,

let's say they had a couple old appliances like the cook stove, and lets say it is indeed the upper end of the spectrum as in a buck a piece to run them - that two bucks has to then be "cooled" and it has to be cooled in a very expensive way - with electricity,,, that two bucks could turn into 6 to 8 very easily...

6 to 8 bucks a month could be worth going after... depends who you are and how you feel about wasting energies and money I guess...

same analogy applies to the brilliant move of getting rid of all incandescent lighting and replacing with LED's ---- that's a double wammy effect as your saving copious amounts of expensive electricity in both ways....

Comment

I just got my gas bill recently and did not open it till this morning, it's only 23 bucks - so many charges but I think the one that matters is commodity charge as it list the CCF and it's just over 5 bucks,,, while im not using gas to heat the house yet that leaves the hot water heater and the cook stove and clothes dryer in on the 5 bucks,,, even if the pilots were the culprit for all the use it would be just over a buck a month to run one,,,
                      That is amazing. I wish mine were that low, but it ain't gonna happen unless I move. I *can* get mine lower but not that low (double-wide trailer, needs new windows etc). Being about 25 miles north of Buffalo, some years my gas bill in February is higher than the house payment. Kerosene is actually cheaper for me.

In the summers I don't care about the extra heat, but I do have a window unit just so I can sleep. The rest of the place can boil.
                      Typical annual temp swing is from ~-10 to +85F, humidity from 60% to 100%. It actually goes up in the winter thanks to Lake Erie.

Comment

so to take a wild stab at it im going to say the more robust water heaters flame with thermocouple might be 25 to 50 cents a month
                        Solve the mystery by reading the meter

Part of gas appliance maintenance is cleaning the pilots and thermocouples, and then re-adjusting the pilot flame. Poor maintenance tends to require a larger flame.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

That is amazing. I wish mine were that low, but it ain't gonna happen unless I move. I *can* get mine lower but not that low (double-wide trailer, needs new windows etc). Being about 25 miles north of Buffalo, some years my gas bill in February is higher than the house payment. Kerosene is actually cheaper for me.

In the summers I don't care about the extra heat, but I do have a window unit just so I can sleep. The rest of the place can boil.
                          Typical annual temp swing is from ~-10 to +85F, humidity from 60% to 100%. It actually goes up in the winter thanks to Lake Erie.
                          It's about to over double that and im sure then some due to the increase in pricing this year, I heat with passive solar and have a wood stove but let the gas pick up the slack in the mornings,,,

also - don't mind taking cool showers in the summer cuz it's a toaster over here but that's already changing fast so more demand on the water tank...

I bet im over 60 to 65 bucks this year and that will be an all time record as 50 was pushing it...

Comment

Fwiw… at our summer camp we have an LP gas stove with 3 pilots. They are lit for about 5 months a year. We tend to be there 3-4 days a week … and use the stove for cooking, hot water, toast, coffee,...

our big LP tank was filled in May or June, and was just filled again about 2-3 weeks ago.
                            it used 20 pounds of LP gas.
                            The bill was about $50 - and that is probably 1.5-2x what the price would be on the mainland (we’re on an island, they have to barge the truck out, etc, etc)

hope that helps

Comment

Pilot lights in the UK went out of fashion about 40 years ago, just as well with the huge increase in gas prices recently.

Comment

Working...
                              X