Better finishes on Lathe Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better finishes on Lathe Work

There is another thread here asking about tool bits and finishes and it occurred to me that some might not be aware of a trick that old timers use
    for lathe work .. " Finishes" are a whole subject in themselves and I will not go into RMA or RMS or the rest of means of measuring surface conditions
    You want a quick and easy way to tell if your feed or DOC is doing better or worse..
    I first will bring up that "light: is your friend . Light waves are very short and can be used in our work.
    I don;t have a fancy video or photo taken in a lathe but you can see here what I mean.
    Now if light hits a Chrome plated ball which is extremely smooth, You will only see a small dot on the ball that is lit up by a single light
    If the ball has a "Satin" finish, it will have broad illumination as the many,many small facets and mountains reflect more light back into your eyes.. broad swath so to speak
    So look at the pictures below.. you do not have to feel it, only look at it
    In the first pic , Look at the light reflection on the two "shafts"
    Note the Dill bit shank was wider "Beams" of reflected light---that tells you the finish is not as good as the shaft on the left
    In the second picture The right side has a better finish than the left side, But the stub on the far left has a even better finish.
    I know that diameter of the shaft has some effect, but the focus on my post is to watch your turning and you can tell your finish
    without stopping the lathe by the thickness of the light band - The thinner the better and you can see when making the next path on your work.

Let Light be your friend ..and having a single bulb above near the lathe is an asset
    Hope this helps !
    Rich

Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor1 354 A.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	606.0 KB
ID:	1966163 Click image for larger version

Name:	P3250066 A.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	1966164
    Green Bay, WI

Great tip Rich, by the way is that a soft jaw on the vise? Stu

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	728.1 KB
ID:	1966430 Yes Stu, It is a Commercial set for a Kurt 6 inch Vise, and I have it mounted on my Kurt 5 inch vise
      I don't remember what the company name was , as I tossed the box, but it had two adapters -one for each jaw.
      They clamped on the extruded Aluminum jaws. The box came with 4 jaws (extrusions) and I bought an extra .
      I bought these about 20-25 years ago and have never seen them advertised during that time
      Here is a pic of the extrusion.. very handy setup, and so easy to slide another jaw in when needed
      Maybe someone here knows the name ?
      Rich

Green Bay, WI

Comment

Kurt Vise now has a similar setup called DoveLock. https://www.kurtworkholding.com/prod...ge-jaw-system/
        Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
          Kurt Vise now has a similar setup called DoveLock. https://www.kurtworkholding.com/prod...ge-jaw-system/
          Nice to see the Notched or Stepjaw on those quick change Jaws.

Comment

Toolguy, Thanks for posting the info

I added work stops on the end of the jaws for repeat work
            Rich
            Green Bay, WI

Comment

Working...
            X