Pull Gear Speed Reducer for a Drill Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pull Gear Speed Reducer for a Drill Press

I came on this recently when a friend purchased and drill press and this was on it. I am helping him get it into running condition. He will be replacing this with an original pulley. I thought it would be interesting to see how it works and so I spend some time mounting it on a Delta 17" that I am working on.
    Peter
    Last edited by CPeter; 10-16-2021, 04:32 PM.
    Grantham, New Hampshire

Interesting, but looks kinda slow for any drills you'd be likely to use in a drill press that size. Maybe more useful converting a wood band saw to metal cutting?
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

It has to be mounted vertically to keep the lubricant in. It was designed for drill presses. The speed would get down to about 150 to 300 rpms depending on the belt location. It would be good for hole saws and large forstner bits used in woodworking. My drill presses are all 3 phase 1 hp motors with VFD speed control. The Delta 17" all have the slow speed pulleys. This is not something I would be using, just wanted to test it out.
      Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

Tubal Cain AKA "Mr Pete" did a few youtube videos on those, years ago. They look like they could be useful for large hole saws etc.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Mr. Pete's video is how I figured out how it worked.
          Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

So, just how does it work? Is a variation of planetary gears?

Got a link to that video?

Originally posted by CPeter View Post
            Mr. Pete's video is how I figured out how it worked.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Here's part one:

Comment

I've seen those around before, they're pretty cool. Like having back gears for your drill press. I think one of those plus a 3ph/VFD or variable speed DC motor will give you all the speeds you need without ever changing a belt. To be honest I very rarely need to change the belt on my DC motor equipped drill press, only if I'm using large drills in steel or holesaws. The rest of the time I can tap (~50rpm) to drill small holes (~2000rpm) just by twisting the dial.

Comment

The real question is how much torque can the belt and pulleys transmit. I have a WT/Rockwell radial drill with 16 speeds and a 3 phase motor with VFD , but the AX belt slips if you load it too much. I did change out the motor from ½hp to 1hp so I can run the belts on better positions on the pulleys for more contact.
                  Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

Originally posted by CPeter View Post
                    The real question is how much torque can the belt and pulleys transmit. I have a WT/Rockwell radial drill with 16 speeds and a 3 phase motor with VFD , but the AX belt slips if you load it too much. I did change out the motor from ½hp to 1hp so I can run the belts on better positions on the pulleys for more contact.
                    Yes, it would be much better on the spindle than the motor.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

At the right size it might be perfect for drilling in direct, then using a tapping head in 'backgear'.
                      Southwest Utah

Comment

All needed speeds? Perhaps.

But torque is another question. And it will suffer somewhere in that speed range.

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                        I've seen those around before, they're pretty cool. Like having back gears for your drill press. I think one of those plus a 3ph/VFD or variable speed DC motor will give you all the speeds you need without ever changing a belt. To be honest I very rarely need to change the belt on my DC motor equipped drill press, only if I'm using large drills in steel or holesaws. The rest of the time I can tap (~50rpm) to drill small holes (~2000rpm) just by twisting the dial.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Comment

Thanks, looks like it is a planetary gear arrangement with direct drive for the higher speed.

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
                          Here's part one:
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                            All needed speeds? Perhaps.

But torque is another question. And it will suffer somewhere in that speed range.
                            maybe, but that's where pulley ratios come to the fore - you design the ratio so you have the minimum torque required at the desired point in the motor speed range

Comment

[QUOTE=CPeter;n1966257]I came on this recently when a friend purchased and drill press and this was on it.

I thought it would be interesting to see how it works and so I spend some time mounting it on a Delta 17" that I am working on.
                              Peter
                              Yeah, I dint do vids, thanks..
                              [video=

[B]Pull Gear Speed Reducer for a Drill Press[/B]

This though is more interesting.

Pull Gear. Good stuff. JR

It almost seems like you guys dont know who Pull Gear is/?? Thats a shame .. JR

Comment

Working...
                              X