A Really Good Book on Building Small I.C. engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Really Good Book on Building Small I.C. engines

I have reached a point of total "Burn out" on building model engines. I want to coast for a while now. I have a number of good books on building small scale engines, such as "The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos" published by Village Press in Traverse City Michigan. "Model Four Cycle Engines" by L.C. Mason, and "Miniature Internal Combustion Engines" by Malcolm Stride. I'm not really after small engine plans, although if they are in a book I will certainly look at them. I am interested in a book that takes me beyond the basics of model engine building. I have a difficult time expressing exactly what I want. Can anyone point me towards a book which they consider excellent, which deals with design and fabrication of small internal combustion engines (Not steam engines).---Thank You.---Brian Rupnow
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Not a book but Strictly IC magazine was a wealth of information as well as many examples, some with plans. Sadly they are not published anymore but back issues are available. Maybe you can luck out and get a collection from someone.

Back issues are still available pretty cheap, you could just get a few with articles of interest. Here is the website and it has a listing of articles and which issues they are in. http://www.strictlyic.com/index.html
    Last edited by Sparky_NY; 10-17-2021, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Not really a small engine, but I consider "Smokey Yunick's Power Secrets" to be a bible of engine building principles. Stroke vs rod length, cam design, etc. I imagine the same principles carry across all scales. The man really was a genius.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Strictly IC is probably the best. Save your sheckles, wait in the weeds and buy a complete set. Old Model Engineer mags have tons of great content on IC engines, and there of course has been lots in HSM over the years. The first two imo would the greatest amount of theory and design discussions/knowledge
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Interesting timing Brian, I've thinking about building a first engine quite a bit lately and was going to post a thread looking for any good books etc on the subject. Lots of good leads in here. Thanks.

Comment

That's unfortunate. I had a stack of Strictly IC & Model Engineering Mags at one point that I would have gladly given you Brian, but I passed them on a few years ago to another fellow. I'd agree with the above comments that I think you would find them quite inspiring.
            Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

@ Mcgyver...just a thought. I believe that a lot of Model Engineer issues are available (I know the companion Model Engineers' Workshop from Vol , #1) as a digital subscription. One subscription allows access to a lot (perhaps not the earliest ones) - perhaps decades - of info.

Comment

So what I am reading is that no good book exists for this topic, too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                  So what I am reading is that no good book exists for this topic, too bad.
                  There ya go, Brian -- maybe you should write the book.
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I did look into publishing my own book on building small engines. Model engine building is such a "niche" market that the big publishers won't touch it. They all recommended that I "self publish" a book. I looked into "self publishing", but the up front costs are greater than the projected market would bear. The three books I mentioned at the very first post in this thread are very good, and contain a lot of model engine knowledge. Reading automotive books about full size engines doesn't work either. Remember, I built and raced hot-rods for most of my life, and I know what is in the full size automotive books and magazines. About 75% of info about full size engines transfers into modelling i.c. engines, but 25% doesn't. It is quite possible that the type of book I have in mind doesn't really exist.----Brian
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                      I did look into publishing my own book on building small engines. Model engine building is such a "niche" market that the big publishers won't touch it. They all recommended that I "self publish" a book. I looked into "self publishing", but the up front costs are greater than the projected market would bear. The three books I mentioned at the very first post in this thread are very good, and contain a lot of model engine knowledge. Reading automotive books about full size engines doesn't work either. Remember, I built and raced hot-rods for most of my life, and I know what is in the full size automotive books and magazines. About 75% of info about full size engines transfers into modelling i.c. engines, but 25% doesn't. It is quite possible that the type of book I have in mind doesn't really exist.----Brian
                      Well, Brian, maybe you should talk to George Bullis about submitting to Village Press!!
                      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                      Oregon, USA

Comment

Tim----I did.
                        Brian Rupnow
                        Design engineer
                        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

From the 1920s to the 1960s Edgar Westbury wrote regularly for the Model Engineer magazine.
                          He described many i.c, engines, from utility jobs for model speedboats to( Almost) scale replicas of full size engines.
                          His descriptions were, in most cases. full of details, and contained information to make the jigs and tooling needed.
                          My son and I own a gasoline powered model roller to his plans and we( At Toronto Society of Model Engineers) have seen many other very successful engines which run well, built to his plans
                          . Castings and drawings are still acailable for some of his designs.
                          He was a designer of full size motor bike and small utility engines.
                          Regards David Powell.

Comment

You might check out Model Engine Builder magazine. They kind of picked up the gauntlet when Strictly I.C. folded. They are a digital magazine now. I used to subscribe, but dropped it when my interest deviated.

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                              I know what is in the full size automotive books and magazines. About 75% of info about full size engines transfers into modelling i.c. engines, but 25% doesn't.
                              We can always read 3/4 of any of those books then.

Mike
                              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X