Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My un-lurking contribution

Gents,
    I don't have many nifty projects to show like some of the recent posts, but I'll submit my lathe center height gauge for my minilathe for your comments. I used an engine valve for the base/stem, and just turned the collar to go on it. Note that there's a second collar sitting on top of the first. The top collar was the first one I made, and I rushed through drilling the hole for the setscrew, and managed to snap off the tip of a center drill in it. So, I keep it on there to remind me to slow down and do things right so that I don't have to do them over.
    Sometime I'd like to add an arm to the collar, so that it would be easier to measure the height of the lathe tool, but this works for now.

applescotty

That's a cool simple way to build one. Now I know what to do with the 'spare' valves kicking around the shop. Thanks for the great idea.
    Tom

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!

Comment

Slick idea applescotty. Thanks for sharing that.

Comment

This is what you need for those broken center drills. Drill around the nose and it is saved.

Comment

best to use a center drill for making a lathe center, and use a spot/spotting drill for drilled holes. You'll be much happier in the long run.

Comment

Working...
          X