Using a 3/8 shank tool in AXA tool holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a 3/8 shank tool in AXA tool holder

Hi everyone. This might be a stupid question but I am a little stumped. I have AXA style tool holders for my QCTP on my lathe. Most of my tools are 1/2" shank and fit nicely. I am able to adjust the height adjuster screw to center it on my work piece and then lock it down so it stays perfect for "quick changes" as the name says.

The issue is when I use a 3/8" shank tool, the height adjuster bottoms out before the tool is at the center line.

Is there a common trick to fixing this? The only idea I have is to put a 1/8" shim under the tool in the holder, but would have to make something and I am concerned about how solid it will be.

So far I have been using a spacer underneath the height adjuster when installing the tool but it's clunky.

Thanks!!

So what is wrong with a 1/8" steel strip shim under the tool? its what we used to have to use before these fancy dan AXA gadgets came along.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Just get some 1/8" x 3/8" flat ground low carbon stock from McMaster-Carr. Cut it into strips the length of the tool holder, deburr the ends, done.
      Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P Wilson View Post
        So what is wrong with a 1/8" steel strip shim under the tool? its what we used to have to use before these fancy dan AXA gadgets came along.
        Nothing wrong with it. Just curious if there is some clever solution or I am doin' it wrong!

Comment

Sounds Like a AXA on a 12 inch Lathe instead of a BXA
          You can add a Block under the Tool Post to raise the Tool Holder .
          I did that on my 12 inch Lathe so My tools are usable on either the 10 or 12 inch lathe and keep
          the same Center Line setting ( No Adjustments)
          Rich Click image for larger version

Name:	P8300001.JPG
Views:	677
Size:	649.1 KB
ID:	1967135
          Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by kuksul08 View Post
            Hi everyone. This might be a stupid question but I am a little stumped. I have AXA style tool holders for my QCTP on my lathe. Most of my tools are 1/2" shank and fit nicely. I am able to adjust the height adjuster screw to center it on my work piece and then lock it down so it stays perfect for "quick changes" as the name says.

The issue is when I use a 3/8" shank tool, the height adjuster bottoms out before the tool is at the center line.

Is there a common trick to fixing this? The only idea I have is to put a 1/8" shim under the tool in the holder, but would have to make something and I am concerned about how solid it will be.

So far I have been using a spacer underneath the height adjuster when installing the tool but it's clunky.

Thanks!!
            What size lathe? Sometimes the AXA finds its way onto a lathe that is capable of handling the larger BXA post. Nothing is wrong with what you're doing, but if the post is a bit on the small side then it might be easier to shim by placing a 2.5"x2.5" spacer under the post and readjust all the holders. Make the spacer thick enough so that the tool holders can accommodate 1/4" tool bits without adding additional shims under the bits. Nothing carved in stone here, but a simple thick spacer under the post might be the easy way out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
              Sounds Like a AXA on a 12 inch Lathe instead of a BXA
              You can add a Block under the Tool Post to raise the Tool Holder .
              I did that on my 12 inch Lathe so My tools are usable on either the 10 or 12 inch lathe and keep
              the same Center Line setting ( No Adjustments)
              Rich Click image for larger version

Name:	P8300001.JPG
Views:	677
Size:	649.1 KB
ID:	1967135
              Exactly!!!! That makes a lot of sense. My lathe came with this AXA and is a 12x36 size.

I like the idea of shimming the entire tool post so then all the holders will fit just right.

It looks like you shimmed it a lot.. is that 3/4"?

Comment

The same idea can work with a toolpost on its correct size machine, if the shank is such that the holder hits the compound when set down before the tool is low enough. Don't go thick enough to cause a problem with the smaller cutters, though.
                4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

The problem is that your lathe is too big. Get a smaller lathe and all will be well!

Comment

I shim tools up all the time. Any steel is good. In the past I used feeler gauges before I had a quick change tool post. Yeah, that really sucked.

Comment

Exactly!!!! That makes a lot of sense. My lathe came with this AXA and is a 12x36 size.

I like the idea of shimming the entire tool post so then all the holders will fit just right.n nIt looks like you shimmed it a lot.. is that 3/4"?
                      Its .701" so the two Lathes C/L match . It would not be exactly the same for other lathe due to the compound and tool slide height .

Just make sure you do not protrude into the dovetail area, that way if you have a large tool in the tool holder, you can lower the Aloris Holder a bit.

My Riser Block is steel, but it can be any metal because you have it under compression 100 % .

Rich

Green Bay, WI

Comment

You guys rock. I will make one that is 1/4" thick with a lip so that it rotates with the tool post.

Comment

This machine has a 4 position turret, the only way to adjust the tool height is with shims or milling off the bottom of the tool.
                          https://photos.smugmug.com/My-First-...%20nut-640.mp4

It will hold a 1 1/2" shank tool.
                          Last edited by Bented; 10-23-2021, 09:59 PM.

Comment

You guys rock. I will make one that is 1/4" thick with a lip so that it rotates with the tool post.
                            Not that we rock, more that you ask good questions. All the riser blocks I've put under quick change tool posts I've never felt the need for an alignment lip. Most of the time there's enough cutting oil between the block and post that the two are wrung together like a couple of gauge blocks. Whatever you do please post some pictures. Others in the future will learn from your experience.

Comment

If you have a set of boring bars, they will have to be varying sizes and their tip heights different for each size. I keep them in the plastic tubes together with a suitable shim which overcomes the disadvantage of only having fixed height toolposts.

Comment

Working...
                              X