VFD wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFD wiring question

I using a VFD for the K&T. I have it motor running and can start and stop it from the VFD. I am looking to use the buttons on the mill clutch arm.

The book that came with it is written in chinlish and it is not the worst I've read.

So here the question (s).

SB1 is it a momentary press on or when I let go will the stop?
    SB2 Is that the E stop? If this is opened it will stop?
    SB3 I am not using (K&T run in one direction)

I think this is right but I am looking if someone knows better.

I'll test my theory tomorrow night if I can get out to the shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.png
Views:	367
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1968315 ​​

Link to the VFD PDF = https://www.automationtechnologiesin...ies-manual.pdf

Looks like momentaries to me. 3 wire control is common for reversing contactors, so it looks like they set it up to retrofit into those controls easily. So if you have a momentary stop, run, and reverse, should work.
    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

It will work as you said. The only thing to confirm is the button operation. The FWD button must be normally open and make the circuit when pushed. The stop (Estop) button must be normally closed and break the circuit when pushed.
      Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

This is my first post in this forum so Good Day everyone !

There are a few things You need to "worry about" when wiring the VFD.
        1. The motors MUST be connected to the VFD at all times. This means that all switches and/or relays in the motor lines must be removed from the equation.
        2. The wires to the motor should be as short as possible. The longer the wires the greater voltage spikes there will be. Some old motors cannot handle those spikes and the consequences can be really smoky.
        3. It is not a bad idea to have the motor wires inside a metal tube. This will minimize EMI emissions and also makes the voltage spikes smaller. In this case an iron tube is better than copper as it conducts electricity not that well and thus dampens better, Copper tube can introduce unwanted resonances (RF resonances).
        4.The Huanyang-type of VFD (which You might have) has a 12 volt output for an external speed potentiometer. This supply is really weak and it should only be used for a potentiometer and nothing else. I recommend using at least a 10Kohm linear potentiometer for the speed control. Using speed control in an old milling machine is questionable as their lubrication depends on motor speed. If the motor is ran too slowly the machine might not get the lubrication it needs.
        5. If You want to stop the motor faster than it would normally stop You can brake the motor using the VFD, Some VFD:s have the braking resistor connections, some do not have those. The Huanyang may or may not have the connection. Although the connector is there it does not mean that the needed components were populated to their places. So this might not work.
        6. Keep the control system ground separate from protective earth. Although the poor thing might work after making that connection it is only a matter of time when a voltage spike renders the thing useless.I recommend using shielded (with a mantle) cable for wiring the switches. The mantle should be connected to the logic ground only on the VFD side and not used for any connections. There should be a separate ground wire inside the shield.
        7. The VFD can be programmed to any button configurations but obviously the factory setting is the easiest one. One thing that cannot be programmed it the STOP button polarity. It must be closed in order to be able to run the thing. When it opens, the VFD just stops and does not run until that button is closed.

If You have a Huanyang type of a VFD, You might wantto see the video I have made on installing and programming this VFD. Since I do not know the external löink policy of this forum I give You a clue on how to find this. Search YouTube with "Finno Ugric Machining".

So how do I know all this ?
        I have five of those Huanyang VFD:s installed in my machines. 2 in the milling machine, 1 in the lathe and 1 in the drill press. The milling machine has also a third one but that is an Omron.

Comment

Originally posted by FinnoUgric View Post

1. The motors MUST be connected to the VFD at all times. This means that all switches and/or relays in the motor lines must be removed from the equation.
          2. The wires to the motor should be as short as possible. The longer the wires the greater voltage spikes there will be. Some old motors cannot handle those spikes and the consequences can be really smoky.
          3. It is not a bad idea to have the motor wires inside a metal tube. This will minimize EMI emissions and also makes the voltage spikes smaller. In this case an iron tube is better than copper as it conducts electricity not that well and thus dampens better, Copper tube can introduce unwanted resonances (RF resonances).
          4.The Huanyang-type of VFD (which You might have) has a 12 volt output for an external speed potentiometer. This supply is really weak and it should only be used for a potentiometer and nothing else. I recommend using at least a 10Kohm linear potentiometer for the speed control. Using speed control in an old milling machine is questionable as their lubrication depends on motor speed. If the motor is ran too slowly the machine might not get the lubrication it needs.
          5. If You want to stop the motor faster than it would normally stop You can brake the motor using the VFD, Some VFD:s have the braking resistor connections, some do not have those. The Huanyang may or may not have the connection. Although the connector is there it does not mean that the needed components were populated to their places. So this might not work.
          6. Keep the control system ground separate from protective earth. Although the poor thing might work after making that connection it is only a matter of time when a voltage spike renders the thing useless. I recommend using shielded (with a mantle) cable for wiring the switches. The mantle should be connected to the logic ground only on the VFD side and not used for any connections. There should be a separate ground wire inside the shield.
          7. The VFD can be programmed to any button configurations but obviously the factory setting is the easiest one. One thing that cannot be programmed it the STOP button polarity. It must be closed in order to be able to run the thing. When it opens, the VFD just stops and does not run until that button is closed.

If You have a Huanyang type of a VFD, You might want to see the video I have made on installing and programming this VFD. Since I do not know the external löink policy of this forum I give You a clue on how to find this. Search YouTube with "Finno Ugric Machining".

So how do I know all this ?
          I have five of those Huanyang VFD:s installed in my machines. 2 in the milling machine, 1 in the lathe and 1 in the drill press. The milling machine has also a third one but that is an Omron.
          THANK YOU!!!

I using this to run a 10HP motor in a K&T. For this to work, do I have to change P5.10 control mode 0~3(0)k? From what I am reading it needs to be set to #2 ?

Comment

Originally posted by FinnoUgric View Post

Although that generally applies, it is not a hard and fast rule and can be overcome in some cases.
            For example, I came across a requirement for two conveyors to be controlled alternatively, same size motors, so one VFD was used for both with a change over contactor on the VFD output.
            To prevent problems, the contactor was interlocked by using the VFD programmable output set to 'At Zero Speed' , IOW neither contactor would switch unless the zero output was ON..😉

Comment

I can't figure this out. The 1st image below represents the layout and markings for two rows of screws for this VFD. The 3 wire connection has SB1,SB2,SB3, and and FWD,REV, Sin, and COM. Is there a relation here I am not getting?

What do I use S1 as FWD ,S2 as Sin , S3 as REV and COM on the bottom row as COM?

I have set P05.03 equal to 2.

The link to the PDF is at the bottom and every thing I can find is about pages 45-48.

Good news is using the run and stop buttons on the VFD the K&T No3 and I have made my first real cuts.

Name:	Capture3.png
Views:	207
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1969327

Name:	Capture2.png
Views:	210
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	1969325 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.png
Views:	208
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1969326

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...ies-manual.pdf

Comment

Yes, use as you said and also put a jumper from +24V to PW.
                Robin

Comment

Sorry what does the jumper do? Trying to learn too.

Comment

Have a look at the larger diagram you posted. The +24V terminal is just that, +24 volts for the internal controls. The PW terminal is the "Power Input" terminal for the internal controls of the VFD. Think of the internal controls as simple 24 volt relays. One side of each "relay coil", S1 thru S7 and HD1 is connected together internally and brought out to the PW terminal. The other internal coil terminals are brought out to the terminals S1 thru S7 and HD1. So for you to make your switches work you first connect the PW terminal to the +24V terminal to provide the 24 volts to the circuits. Then you connect your switches fron the S terminals to COM. The COM terminal is really the -24 volt terminal or COMMON. Anyway, your switch completes the control circuit and when pushed makes the function programmed for the S terminal activate. I hope this helps your learning. I am always happy to help .
                    Robin

Comment

WOW now I understand! Again I learn so much here.

Thank you for helping me1

Comment

Not a problem. People helped me many years ago so it is my turn now...
                        Robin

Comment

I am got something wrong??
                          The run and stop work on the VFD

With both Estops closed (NC side of the switch wired) I have a #1 on the display. The Start buttons does nothing. I pushed the Estops and hit the start button, nothing. In both cases I also held the start button in, nothing.

P5.10 to 0 and tried it ,1 ...2, and 3 and tried the above

Name:	Capture4.png
Views:	95
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1969663

Comment

outlawspeeder , your wiring looks correct. You most likely have a programming parameter wrong. There is likely a place to tell the VFD to use the external switches instead of the switches on the drive. I will look at the manual again and edit this post with what I find.

Found it 😃 . See page 28 in the manual. You need to set parameter P0.01 to 1. This puts the "control mode" to the terminals. When you do this the "remote/local" light on the VFD should be flickering.
                            Good luck. Ask if you need to 🙂.
                            Last edited by rdfeil; 11-12-2021, 02:47 AM.
                            Robin

Comment

Originally posted by outlawspeeder View Post
                              Sorry what does the jumper do? Trying to learn too.
                              Control inputs can work with positive or negative signals so the jumper selects which type of input. In the case of PW to +24, inputs work with COM.
                              Helder Ferreira
                              Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Working...
                              X