OT: What does this button do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: What does this button do?

I bought this excavator when I moved to Germany. There is a button on the console next to the light button that I have no idea what it is for. If I press the button a light lights up just above it but I don't notice anything happening. I would look in the manual but I put the manual in a safe place. So safe I can't find it! The picture shows a piston and a rotation arrow I think. Click image for larger version

Name:	hitachi button.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1968793

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

You know, if you put the make and model in the post chances are the manual is on line and someone would have answered by now. (If you hadn't thought to look it up yourself... )
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Leave that button alone!
      My excavator keeps shutting down and NOW I know why.

Comment

Looks like if you push that button the engine will run backwards----
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Go and give it a try. It is just an automatic tampon remover.

Seriously, it looks like a start button to me. But then, you probably have been starting it all along so, ?????
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Recently, when I rented a Telehandler, there was a button that disconnected the hydraulics from the engine, to make starting it easier. Possibly something like that?

Doc.
            Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

The excavator is a Hitachi EX 45 2001 model year. It had just over 2000 hours on it when I bought it.

I need a bottom track roller so I called the supplier that sold me replacement tracks a couple of years ago. They didn't have what I needed but referred me another company. A very nice woman answered the phone and I tried to explain to her what I needed. Not long into my terrible explanation in German she said to me, "lets continue this conversation in English. It will be easier for both of us." Great so I told her what I needed and she asked what model I had. I told her it is a Hitachi EX 45. She said, "oh, you have a small one." I told her she should never say that to a man! She replied right away, "It is how you use it not the size that matters." I nearly died laughing. Then she proceeded to tell me they are a wholesaler not a dealer and they have a 10 item minimum, bla, bla, bla. I told her I don't need 10 rollers but I would take 2. She laughed and told me she would sell me 2. It was a hilarious call.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                You know, if you put the make and model in the post chances are the manual is on line and someone would have answered by now. (If you hadn't thought to look it up yourself... )
                I looked online but didn't find a manual for the machine. I found repair manuals for sale but no operator's manual.

Comment

Auto-idle mode.

Comment

Piston savings time button. It sets your pistons back an hour. It's that time of year actually, you better press it.

Comment

I'm thinking a Compression Release.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                      Oregon Coast

Comment

Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post
                        Auto-idle mode.
                        I don't know much about excavators, but I think Tomato is correct. From a different Hitachi excavator manual:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80....html?page=127

Comment

I thought I'd get clever and try Google Image search. First try it came up with "Manhole". I clipped off the part that showed the button itself, and got "Cement". Finally, I tried just the image of the piston and crank. Result "Rim". Oh, well!

Posts #6 and #11 get my vote.
                          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Yep it is indeed an auto-idle function switch. These "universal" symbols are a bit ambiguous at best because there are so many various functions to try and paint a picture of and still have it make sense universally. I can't imagine trying to come up with some of this stuff, gotta wonder if it's a flip of the coin decision at times. I think the entire spectrum of these symbols covers just about a hundred pages or so. And who is going to read and understand all of that, never mind retain that info?

I think the symbol is supposed to convey engine rpm in order to alert the operator that when the indicator light is on a secondary control is in effect that takes command of engine speed. Not knowing that the system is engaged could cause a rapid movement in various machine functions as soon as the hydraulic system senses an increased load.

Get in a new machine and it's almost like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics at times, then there seems to be two conflicting operational control schemes that completely make one look like a total idiot when used to Cat controls and then jumping in a JD. Although some more progressive manufactures allow one to select the control scheme of choice by the flick of a switch.
                            Oh thank you!

Edited due to grammar.
                            Last edited by Willy; 11-05-2021, 10:45 PM.
                            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

These "universal" symbols are an example of the human race shooting themselves in the foot. They are supposed to get around the language barrier, but they have created a new one with an even higher wall and razor wire on the top.

Who the heck ever thought of that? Probably an un-elected government official.
                              Paul A.
                              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
                              X