Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone had better grab this smoking deal before it is gone....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone had better grab this smoking deal before it is gone....

https://slo.craigslist.org/hvo/d/nip...388767842.html

Man, I can't believe it is still available.

Off by a factor of 10? Maybe 5 - I don't know that local area.
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Looks like the data tags are in great shape! Ways? Not sure.
      Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
      Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Remove the comma and drop one zero and it might be closer to what it worth.

Comment

I agree with PortlandRon. At $1800.00, that's closer to real pricing. It's no 10EE, but seems in good shape. Someone commented on the condition of the ways, I could not see anything hinky about the ways. He is flying along with the idea that he can always come down, not up.
          Sarge41

Comment

Haha! I needed a good laugh today.

Comment

Those 6300 series Clausings were pretty nice lathes for the time. I am pretty sure the 5900 series lathes evolved from them.

That one in the ad I think has step pulleys but some of them had a reeves style drive on them.

Comment

Tchevo blyat? Could buy a Tormach CNC lathe for that price...

Comment

The fact that he said it's in very good condition doesn't make too much sense if it also came out of a school. maybe it somehow didn't get used (abused) that much in the school. It looks very clean and for the price that's suspiciously clean.

Comment

As for the school, it probably has been in another home shop machinist's hands for some time and any problems were taken care of.

But $18,000? NO WAY, no matter where it is. $1800 may be a bit low, but would make a good starting price for the bidding. Probably go for somewhere between $2000 and $3000. Perhaps just a bit more if they are lucky. And I would like to see it before bidding.

This offer will be around for a while. Check again in six months if you are interested. It will probably take that long for the seller to realize the real numbers.

At least the seller hasn't taken a can of spray paint to it.

Originally posted by Tillie's in a bottle View Post
                    The fact that he said it's in very good condition doesn't make too much sense if it also came out of a school. maybe it somehow didn't get used (abused) that much in the school. It looks very clean and for the price that's suspiciously clean.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Tillie's in a bottle View Post
                      This lathe has been repainted at some point in its life, at what point I’m not sure.

Comment

Surely he means $1,850 ??

Comment

It's been repainted also so no telling what it looked like before. The way the listing reads makes it sound like it's was mothballed after rolling off the assy. line.
                          Typically, anything that's been in a high school shop isn't in perfect condition.

As far as the price ??? not sure what they smoke in Nipomo, where ever that is. West coast somewhere ?

JL.............

Comment

Yes, that 1300 Series is a nice Lathe and preceded the 5900 series.
                            I think it was the first lathe created after Atlas and Clausing joined forces
                            The lathe is sometimes called a gunmakers lathe as it has a log bed and a large hole 1-1/4" + through the spindle
                            It has a LOO spindle and comes with an adapter bushing (in the drawer picture) that allows 5 C collets to be used.
                            Both the Carriage Apron and the Quick Change Box have oil baths (!) ( Note sight glasses in picture)
                            The Gears outside the headstock are anti-backlash gears ( spring loaded individually ) to reduce noise.,
                            The leadscrew engagement Lever is a cocking lever ( shown lowered in pic) and if the load is too great (adjustable) , drops out the leadscrew drive
                            They used a glass for gear settings on the QC Box and because the Quick change box is oil filled, the oil dissolves the Ink/paint for Q/C readings .

Rich

Lathe is in California Near San Louis Obispo
                            Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 11-08-2021, 08:42 PM.
                            Green Bay, WI

Comment

You never know about prices.

Someone who used to post here sold a fellow an Atlas lathe, don't recall what size, for somewhere around $3000 or maybe a bit more. He defended the price since both seller and buyer were satisfied.

Despite being maybe 6x more than it would typically sell for, I suppose the "worth" (I'm never quite sure what that means) could be argued to be equivalent to what it would take to buy a new machine that did what the used one does. I think that argument flies in the face of used car prices, for instance, which are typically substantially discounted from retail. But I suppose if you strictly limit your view to the fact that it provides a service that you would have to pay a lot more for new, there is at least some point.

If suddenly there was a huge need for lathes of any and all types, prices could get to that sort of range.

The lathe in the listing would, new, made as the original was made, very possibly cost that sort of amount. But there is not that kind of demand, and it is not new. So no freaking way...... In fact, as pointed out, if it came from a school shop, it is really open to question as to actual condition, unless it came from the maintenance shop.

The threading chart may give a clue to actual condition....
                              Last edited by J Tiers; 11-08-2021, 10:45 PM.
                              CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Working...
                              X