Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a mill...all excited!!!!

Hoping for the best here.
    Was having a coffee break this morning outside. Looked through all the bushes in the next door neighbours yard.
    Saw a funny looking green thing hid around the side of an old shed.
    The place belongs to an old couple. He had a stroke years ago and was in a wheel chair. He couldn't talk...only mumbled.
    He died last summer but I only found out today that he was a machinist before he was caught up in a bad car accident that brought on the stroke.
    I asked my boss what that green thing was and he told me the whole story. Seems the guy had a well equiped shop. The green thing is some kind of old milling machine. It needs an arbor. From what I can see it is a horizontal mill with a big heavy knee. Too bad it's been sitting outside uncovered. And who knows what else is in his treasure chest!
    The old girl wants to get rid of the stuff so I'm going to look at the mill and whatever at 4:01 pm...not one second later!!!
    All that looking and there has been a horizontal mill about 300 ft from my house all this time. I could have had it before it was put outside....dang!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Good luck Russ,I hope there is more goodies for a good price, Oh and if there is anything you don't want pass 'em on to us.

Comment

May the machine finder Gods be with you.

Comment

I'm going to be there at 3:00.

Comment

Green?

Hell of a find but.....are you going to repaint? Love Alistair's machines but........are you giong to repaint?

Comment

Took an old horizontal to the scrap metal dealer. Don't go more than$13.00 that's what mine got me. I bought it for $50, kept the arbor, and a box full of milling cutters then aged it in my garage for 2 years before recycling.

Comment

Post some pics I always like to see the great deals other people find and every once in a while I stuble on something myself.
              GD

Comment

If you find anything else interesting keep me in mind. I'm driving to Calgary next month and might just decide to make a bit of a detour on the way... Need any grinding wheels??
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Arrrggghhh...photobucket is sllloooowww! I don't know how long it'll take to get some pics up.
                  The mill is an OHIO #2 Universal/horizontal. It has been outside for almost two years and is pretty rusted. Too bad, the table has zero dings or holes.
                  The X movement is free but the Y and the knee are siezed or locked...I didn't want to force anything on MY NEW MILL!
                  I told the old girl that I knew her husband a little and worked in the shop next door. Told her I was interested in looking at that old green machine out back. She wasn't sure what I was talking about so we went out back and I pointed it out to her.
                  She said"Oh...that horrid old thing. It's yours if you just get it out of here"
                  I guess a couple of other guys have wanted it but never came to get it.
                  Now I have to figure how to load it and such...make room in the shop etc.
                  That's IF you guys figure I can fix it...pics at 6ish
                  Russ

Comment

Can it be fixed?

Anything can be fixed, given a big enough bag of money.

You can't beat the asking price.

Comment

I hear you Ken!
                      Here's a few pics

The only thing needed for sure is an overarm support.
                      Anyone have any idea if I could get one?
                      Also...does anyone have any idea about what year this is and how much it weighs?
                      I think the table and knee can be freed up ok. The rust seems to be surface rust and there are no heavy pits that I can see.
                      The ol' guy was running it with the little motor in the back and the little auto fan belt.
                      Was just spinning it as he had no cutters and never did have the overarm support.
                      Thanks for any info!
                      Russ

Comment

looks like it could be made to look nice after a bit of elbow grease .

are you colour blind torker

all the best.mark

Comment

Wait a minute...that's the overarm support sitting on the table isn't it?
                          They told me it needed an arbor. I thought they meant it needed an overarm support once I saw the machine.
                          Geez...just like a teenage kid on his first date
                          Russ

Comment

...Saw a funny looking green thing hid around the side of an old shed....
                            Russ...now what I really what to know is what was the green thing???

Comment

its a universal mill with swiveling table .

cant see a drive shaft to the table .........for the auto traverse.........the arbor is stuck in the quil

all the best.mark

Comment

Working...
                              X