One vise or two.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One vise or two.

The new to me Bridgeport didn’t come with a vise and I’ll be upgrading to a 6” Shars and selling the 4” import with the PM-30MV. They just came back into stock so I want to order. The big question is should a go ahead and get two? This is just a hobby machine for me but the money is not a big deal right now and I have a 10% off coupon so seems like a no brainer. Not sure I’ll need it all that often but I’m sure will be very handy at times. Anyone want to talk me out of it?
    Last edited by JCByrd24; 11-12-2021, 04:40 PM.

It all depends on the sort of work you intend to do. I have used one only 5 inch vice for many years, but it is supplemented by a bed mounted 2 piece vice like device. the latter gets used a couple of times a year to hold larger work. If you have the dollars you cannot have too many vices or tools for that matter.
    Regards David Powell.

Comment

Yeah, I see guys talk about 2 vise setups, and all sorts of other setup stuff like turntables etc. But for me, I almost never need anything but my 6" vise. It's been like a decade since it moved. YMMV.

Comment

One can not have enough milling vices (-:

Comment

I currently only have a 6”’on my mill at home.

Last place I worked had 2 “ mounted to the tables. For the work that they were doing they worked out well.

Current place had a single 8” mounted. The 8” worked well for most of the work they I was doing with it. A single 6” would have probably been small and 2 would have been better. Down side of the 8” was the weight.

With that said, if you don’t plan on leaving a vise and rotary table mounted at the same time and funds aren’t the issue just get the 2 and be done with it. At no time are you ever going to say “I wish I only had one vise”. There may be a time where you were wishing for 2 though.

Comment

If the money right now isn't a big deal, then yeah, spring for a pair. Having 2 that are matched is very handy for long stuff. Or even 1st op/2nd op setups. One with talon grips, and the other with soft jaws/hard jaws for the 2nd op.

I don't know anyone that would say they wish they only had one vise.

Comment

I’ll add, OP if the mill you got didn’t come with a DRO on it, spend the money and put one on before you buy a second mill vise.

IMO, every mill should have it on there and you are very inefficient without. Anyone that argues this either hasn’t used a mill with a DRO or doesn’t know how to take advantage of it.

Comment

About two years ago I went through a similar process. I finally decided to purchase a milling machine vise for my Grizzly mill. In the past at work I have had to work on longer parts, like front panels for rack mounted equipment. These front panels are a standard 19" width and while they could be mounted with spacers and standard tee slot clamps, It was a lot faster to mount them in a vise. But no single vise would cover that size. For those panels I used three matched vises. In my home shop I wanted at least part of this capability.

But, since most of the parts that I will ever make are smaller, I also wanted to have the largest work envelope that my mill was capable of handling. My mill has a fair sized table and on overall envelope of 7 7/8" x 21 5/8" but I realized that the position of a vise on the table would influence just how large of a work envelope I could actually use in that vise. I went through a process that included a discussion here and some experiments using full size, cardboard cutouts of the milling vises that I was considering. One thing that I found out was that, a six inch milling vise when mounted at one of my table's slots had a smaller Y axis available space than a five inch vise would have. I based these cutouts on the Shars line of vises but many imported vises are almost exactly the same. Here is a link to that discussion.

https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...ling-vise-size

I strongly recommend that you carefully consider the size of the vise you purchase. Most mills have limited Y travel and the column behind the table further limits things. Then there is the fixed location of the slots in the table so you can not always mount the vise where it can best use the available travel. A smaller vise can have a larger work envelope. And as for the width, I find that the difference between a 5" and a 6" is almost no difference at all. I may make a set of 6" jaws for my 5" vise some day, but then, perhaps not.

As for the one or two vise question, I found that Shar's prices along with an available discount, made the choice of two vises an easy one. I did think long and hard about getting a swivel base. Many will say that they have one and never use it. Probably so. But if you need it, it would be very handy. So I purchased one vise with the swivel mount and one without. This worked well as the two vises are identical.

As for the quality of the Shars milling vises, I have no complaints. Perhaps Kurt's are better. For the price, they should be. But the Shars are as accurate as I will ever need.
                Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 11-12-2021, 07:29 PM.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                  ...IMO, every mill should have it on there and you are very inefficient without. Anyone that argues this either hasn’t used a mill with a DRO or doesn’t know how to take advantage of it...
                  I absolutely agree. Without a DRO a mill is only half a machine...

Keith

Comment

I have two (matched) 5" Gerardi Vices on my CNC, and a single 6" Vice on the Bridgeport, both are perfect for what I use them for.
                    The Vice comes off the Bridgeport more so than the CNC as I frequently want all the table space, whereas on the CNC all the jobs have to fit within that working envelope.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Nv_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.2 KB ID:	1969936
                    Attached Files

Comment

Good point on the DRO and that’s definitely on the list as well but will be easily funded by the sale of the PM-30MV.

Comment

Two vices are always better than one...

Comment

I have a pair of 100mm Bisons which can be used as a pair spaced out for long jobs, a Chinese 5" Kurt clone which opens 50% further than the 100's and several smaller vises for the tiny jobs. The 5" is pretty much at the size limit of the two mills at the museum.

Comment

I don't remember for what project, but one day I decided I needed two vises. I built the pair of them, and I'm glad I did. It's nice to be able to grip both edges or both ends of something- especially long pieces, or where you can only grip onto a short bit of the workpiece. These also work well on a surface plate where you need to align pieces. You can set the vises on 3 sides- the jaws are flush to the sides, so they can be set with jaws vertical, and in mirror image fashion.

One of my more useful projects- and one which I completed.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                              I’ll add, OP if the mill you got didn’t come with a DRO on it, spend the money and put one on before you buy a second mill vise.

IMO, every mill should have it on there and you are very inefficient without. Anyone that argues this either hasn’t used a mill with a DRO or doesn’t know how to take advantage of it.
                              This. Much more important than an extra vise.
                              12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                              Index "Super 55" mill
                              18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                              7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                              24" State disc sander

Comment

Working...
                              X