Small suckage today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I make chips View Post
    Man I'm not going to post the big glob of stuff I got for free. You guys will rush over and steal it.
    Pics or it never happened...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

Pics or it never happened...
      True! You gotta post it, or no suckage!

Sid

Comment

You guys are gonna hate me for the freebie haul I got.. Some of it is a duplicate of what I have so I took my old stuff out of the drawers for the pics.
        A buddy's father in law had a machine shop but died about ten years ago. It was one of those get it out of my basement before I throw it out deals. I had no place to put the stuff so I bought the roller cabinet at Home Despot.

As to that Mitutoyo mic set, does anyone know where I can get a couple of those little screws that hold the lever on for the spindle locks? Mitutoyo part #200424
        Attached Files

Comment

Two more pics. Do I warrant the I suck moniker?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by I make chips; 11-15-2021, 09:33 PM.

Comment

The vacuum near you is definitely increasing.......
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Definitely suckage!
              Good for you!

Sid

Comment

Wow. THAT's a score.
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Nice score Sid (and IMC).

A few years ago (7/8) I bought a couple toolboxes off a retired GM toolmaker. One was FULL of endmills. Mostly new, mostly HSS, but a few carbide (about 20%). The other box was all measuring tools, parallels, etc. Also included was a bucket full of HSS lathe tools. $200. That was a nice score to get the home shop started.

While is wasn't as good of a deal as that, when I bought the Tormach I also got quite a few drawers full of brand new carbide endmills, drills, and reamers in all shapes and sizes. Probably about $3-4k worth at retail prices.

I think I'm set for a long time, but I still get tempted to grab some deals that pop up now and then. I honestly don't have anymore space to store them. And at the rate I use them up at home they will last many lifetimes.

Comment

Chips really reeled us in - then made us wait for it, then came the word "free" along with the pics, brilliant strategy... (if u want to be hated that is lol)

Comment

Ok I've been told for years that I suck... I won't report that there's a little more in the garage that I already put in the mill tooling cabinet.
                      Four 1 2 3 blocks, two 2 4 6 blocks, a minty new adjustable angle vee block, some brand new Starrett punches, 4-5 more R8 tool holders and another set of parallels.
                      Nope,,, I won't accentuate my suckedness.

All I can say is even the slow bird gets the worm once in a while. Or however some saying goes.

Comment

Originally posted by I make chips View Post
                        All I can say is even the slow bird gets the worm once in a while. Or however some saying goes.
                        according to my Pops it was "blind pig finds an acorn once in awhile" but yeah they both are one in the same...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

according to my Pops it was "blind pig finds an acorn once in awhile" but yeah they both are one in the same...
                          I haven't heard that saying in over 50 years!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Nice acquisitions for both of you. I had a bunch of those 3/4 Putnam end mills. They’re great.

I saw these on CL for $60 the set. Only a few blocks away, I couldn’t resist. Same model as my original box and a 26” wide riser.
                            They cleaned up nice and I found a spot for them on a cart for now.

Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                            9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

Just the riser alone would be a deal at that price. The Craftsman top box, does it have molded "felt like" liners in the drawers?

Comment

It did have the brown plastic felt-like liners but they were dry and cracked. I replaced them with some black velvet card stock I got at Hobby Lobby.
                                Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                                9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

Working...
                                X