No announcement yet.

Georgian bay scoot airboat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys know about skidoo helmets and survival floater suits right? Frozen corneas and windchill aren't an issue when you dress for it.

Sounds like an awesome project Jon, looking hope you post up the build details when you get into it.

Theres a Sherp for sale on market place right now. Who doesn't have a spare $150k laying around?
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...d-fefaf071f679

I don't think I'd want a sherp for what you want to do. I think you're on the right track making sure the vehicle is first and foremost a boat.

Is there no trail access in winter? How do you access it the other 3 seasons?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post
      Thats what they were designed for!
      True about the slow speed of the Sherp. Not saying you're wrong or that it won't work, I don't really know (hadn't a clue about them until this thread). Just that intuitively it to me looks like problems. That video shows it a planing speed, which if at the same height, water to ice is a smooth transition. What about as you're slowing down at the dock, and drop through the ice? Do you need a bubbler for when its sitting at the dock? Swing times, freezes at night, gets frozen to the snow/ice, etc. Makes me wonder why they went away.

Mo need to go to Russia for a Sherp.
      Canada has it's own version that is likely just as capable.
      The odds of me owning either are rather slim to none, but I'd have way more fun with the Sherp because I could adopt a fake Russian accent and call everyone comrade. I'm sure it wouldn't get old and all would find it endearing
      Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-15-2021, 06:38 PM.
      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

The odds of me owning either are rather slim to none, but I'd have way more fun with the Sherp because I could adopt a fake Russian accept and call everyone comrade. I'm sure it wouldn't get old and all would find it endearing
        Yes indeed, but the Fat Truck is based out of Kaybeck, the accompanying fake french accent would make you almost bilingual and more likely to entertain lucrative federal contracts.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
          This can't be a good idea --- this one looks like it would "implode" the front canopy if you gunned it with it's 600 ponies... there's a reverse umbrella joke in here somewhere....

Yeah that looks like the definition of inefficiency. 🤢

Comment

That one looks like about the same power to weight ratio as a 50 HP outboard motor on a sheet of plywood.
            Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

True about the slow speed of the Sherp. Not saying you're wrong or that it won't work, I don't really know (hadn't a clue about them until this thread). Just that intuitively it to me looks like problems. That video shows it a planing speed, which if at the same height, water to ice is a smooth transition. What about as you're slowing down at the dock, and drop through the ice? Do you need a bubbler for when its sitting at the dock? Swing times, freezes at night, gets frozen to the snow/ice, etc. Makes me wonder why they went away.
              I think that's less of an issue than you think. You'd probably want to keep up to a certain speed to prevent dropping through, but even if you do getting back up on the ice shouldn't be to big of a deal. Hull has a big, flat bottom to get up on plane quickly and won't have much draft even at rest. Nice gradual transition to the bottom, and if it proves to be a problem a sheet of UHMW like the Jet Boats use for sliding over gravel bars would probably be enough to fix it. Guys with aluminum boats have no problem getting the hulls up on the ice and using the weight to break through (with the thinner ice), I bet a design like this pops right over the ice and keeps moving. I'd be more scared of the days when the chop starts to collect in the middle of the lake, that hull shape will bounce you around pretty good. But being on a river that's probably not a large issue.

For parking I would imagine if possible it would be better to beach the hull instead of leaving it at the dock. Less chance of a miss-step putting you in the water, and you don't have to worry about the hull freezing in. Just park in a snow bank and call it a day. Besides, you wouldn't want to leave your Sherp floating at the dock either.
              Last edited by Tom S; 11-15-2021, 03:19 PM.
              Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the input boys!
                I will definitely put up pics of the build.
                Thanks for the links Willy, I signed up at that airboat forum this morning and put up a post.
                AK, your not wrong, I know about wind chill and freezing temps as well as any Northern Ontario boy. I even have the scars and nerve damage to prove it!
                These things have a cockpit though, I was riding in the one pictured below last weekend, you could comfortably have a smoke in it while ripping and we had the top off it and it was windy as hell. Man what a rush, like flying in a small plane except the motor is hanging behind your head and your practically sitting on the water, dont even think about talking though, earmuffs are mandatory
                Mcgyver, They didnt go away, you cant even find one to buy unless you get on a waiting list and or go the inflatable route https://air-boat.com/ or the $$$$ route https://canadianairboats.com/ or https://www.1000islandairboats.com/available-models. Your right about them freezing in, thats why I am going lightweight so I can manhandle it without much effort. Most people carry a small bumper jack in them to get them out of the ice and to park them so just the transom is on the snow/ice. I am going to make log runners at the property and park it on a trailer when its at the landing where I park my truck.
                If I was going to get something like the sherp I would just get an Argo, they are made right here in Ontario not far from me in Stratford too. https://www.canadianmetalworking.com...a/argo-factory
                Is there no trail access in winter? How do you access it the other 3 seasons?
                Dan, We are only permitted to walk in during the winter, no motorised vehicles unless we pay lots of $$$ to the property owner. So we are not going to do that until we can get the road permit approved... We boat in the rest of the time.
                Cheers,
                Jon
                Attached Files

Comment

Wow Jon, that looks like one hell of a fun way to get where you're going. The semi enclosed cab will definitely make for a less brisk trip.
                  You're definitely not living life in the slow lane. Good for you! Hope things work out the way you would like them to go.
                  Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Why not go full tilt Russian with an ekranoplan?
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Nu94khHoo
                    Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                    Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Jon thanks for the info... learned my new thing today
                      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                        No advice here, but I think you should dress it up to look like this Tupoev model. Somehow the Soviets made something that isn't grossly overweight and square, and looks like it's going 100mph sitting still. To bad it was such a niche thing that there aren't many around

https://silodrome.com/tupolev-a-3-aerosledge/
                        How did this not make it into a Bond movie???

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuploev-A-3-N007-7-1-1600x1067.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	1970440

Comment

Great way to destroy the serenity of nature and alienate all your neighbors.

Comment

I have been looking into these Rotax 582 65HP engines and am thinking this is a better way to go. Parts are still in production, its a smoker so less moving parts/maintenance and its liquid cooled which means I could add some heat for my old feet that freeze at the site of snow anymore. Hmm....
                            What happened to that old feller on here who had the hangar filled to the brim and all of those old planes? I cant remember his name at the moment...
                            I bet he knows something about these engine choices...

I took some pics of the mounts on a scoot in the hull builders drive to get some ideas on the mounts and then noticed the Rotax which got me thinking...
                            Cheers,
                            Jon
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rickyb View Post
                              Great way to destroy the serenity of nature and alienate all your neighbors.
                              Huh? Did you actually *read* what the OP wrote?

"Well we have put a deposit down on the hull for a scoot airboat from the Georgian Bay boat co.
                              My future retirement property is on a piece of the river that has high current and rotten ice preventing snow machine access. The permits for the road are moving at a glacial pace so we decided to get a scoot to make sure we have easy access year round (currently only walk in access during ice in months)."

So he should walk in all winter? To preserve the "serenity of nature"?

-js
                              There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

On the flip side --- what that sherpa probably consumes in a few miles of water travel gets me to florida :-)

70.2 mpg's for 1426 miles - cost me 65 bucks to get there and it was also my camper...

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05861.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.8 KB ID:	1970617

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05886.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.8 KB ID:	1970618

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05959.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.8 KB ID:	1970619

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05889.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.1 KB ID:	1970620

Depends what your idea of having fun with your fuel is but for me biggest bang for the buck is the pea shooter, first time I took a look at one of my fuel injectors I thought it was a capped off blank lol then got my really high powered eye glasses on and then said to myself --- oh --- I think I can see it - I think I can see the injector port lol
                                Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 11-16-2021, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X