Georgian bay scoot airboat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    On the flip side --- what that sherpa probably consumes in a few miles of water travel gets me to florida :-)

70.2 mpg's for 1426 miles - cost me 65 bucks to get there and it was also my camper...

Click image for larger version Name:	DSC05861.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.8 KB ID:	1970617

Click image for larger version Name:	DSC05886.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.8 KB ID:	1970618

Click image for larger version Name:	DSC05959.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.8 KB ID:	1970619

Click image for larger version Name:	DSC05889.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.1 KB ID:	1970620

Depends what your idea of having fun with your fuel is but for me biggest bang for the buck is the pea shooter, first time I took a look at one of my fuel injectors I thought it was a capped off blank lol then got my really high powered eye glasses on and then said to myself --- oh --- I think I can see it - I think I can see the injector port lol
    Boomer can you elaborate on what you were driving and camping with,maybe I was snoozing lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

Boomer can you elaborate on what you were driving and camping with,maybe I was snoozing lol!
      It's a first Gen. honda insight, also took it to Montana this year. it's an all aluminum hybrid 1 liter 3 cyl. 5 speed manual.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05769.jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.0 KB ID:	1970651

Comment

No one ever said it was a the coolest looking car on the block, but it sure looks damn nice passing by all of the gas pumps!
        Great mileage! You just did a few minor mods to this, no? But basically stock and driving technique got you these figures?
        Inquiring minds need to know.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
          No one ever said it was a the coolest looking car on the block, but it sure looks damn nice passing by all of the gas pumps!
          Great mileage! You just did a few minor mods to this, no? But basically stock and driving technique got you these figures?
          Inquiring minds need to know.

Yeah Willy it's stock for the most part but I have a few "performance mods" in fact posted on here nothing ground breaking of course as the engine only pumps out 67 ponies at sea level to begin with - along with 13 hp electric assist,

It is kinda crazy only having a 10 gallon tank with a 700 mile cruising range lol

My figures for driving down there were due to keeping the speed down some - I avoided major interstates and 80 mph and stuff, I went more as the crow flies and slower speeds to achieve the 70mpg range like 60 to 65 mph, on the way back I took faster mainstream routes and paid the fiddler to the tune of about 65 mpg,,,

I was shocked at how much power it had at sea level - it would have gave my hopped up Del-Sol a run for it's money if you compared it running there to the DS running a mile high where im at,,, the DS would have been a little monster down there though...

yeah the cars kinda butt-ugly but you get used to it and it actually starts to not upset you as much when you look at it lol

I believe it's MPG ratings were achieved with pure gasoline and also the tires it came with (which are very expensive) that reduce rolling resistance, I just have normal tires on it and am running 10% corn juice so am pleased with a little care I can squeak into its advertised MPG rating especially for such a long trip...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05820.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1970662

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

Huh? Did you actually *read* what the OP wrote?

"Well we have put a deposit down on the hull for a scoot airboat from the Georgian Bay boat co.
            My future retirement property is on a piece of the river that has high current and rotten ice preventing snow machine access. The permits for the road are moving at a glacial pace so we decided to get a scoot to make sure we have easy access year round (currently only walk in access during ice in months)."

So he should walk in all winter? To preserve the "serenity of nature"?

-js
            His purpose remains purely personal. I don’t think that excuses disruption of others’ peace and quiet. They live or visit there for a reason..nature.

Comment

Originally posted by rickyb View Post

His purpose remains purely personal. I don’t think that excuses disruption of others’ peace and quiet. They live or visit there for a reason..nature.
              🤣
              My purpose is utilitarian.
              In your world, once you leave the city should you park your car and walk in moccasins?
              My primary residence is in the country, perhaps I should ask the farmers to sell their equipment so as not to disturb the beautiful serenity and nature in my back yard while bird watching around my pond too eh?
              Your a piece of work guy, pretty presumptuous too..
              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by rickyb View Post

The others' reasons are just as purely personal. I don't think that means they should deny Jon access unless he does a "portage" in.

He wants to "get to" the property, not blast around at all hours of the day or night.. I reckon the others use their stinky noisy gas burning air polluting vehicles to get in to their property also. But they get to use a road, which he is unable to get the permits for at the moment.

It seems you are projecting your own ideas onto the others in this case. You don't know them, you have no idea what they think, and frankly, you are assuming a lot and accusing Jon of many things that you have no clue about.

Seems smug and arrogant.
                CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Power plant acquired!

Nice and clean Continental C85 (85Hp) engine, looks like it should be in a museum but instead its going to make Jonny's little scoot scary AF.

Even got some mufflers and a prop for it...

This project ought to keep me out of trouble and preoccupied for awhile eh!?

Cheers,

Jon
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow, it's beginning to look allot like Christmas....

And yes that beast is going to keep you busy for awhile, but what a great start, is that a carbon fiber wrap on that butcher blade?

I hope you will have the box stock carb mixture adjustment and exhaust pyrometers so you can dial that pig into it's range and then some - they really play it safe in the air but you don't have to and that slug is going to like a sip of the fuel for sure....

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                      Wow, it's beginning to look allot like Christmas....

is that a carbon fiber wrap on that butcher blade?
                      Yes it appears so, the guy just said he had it refurbished and balanced and that was all the info he had. I figure I will use this to get going on it then when I get it all figured out I will order a a new sensonic prop and use this as a spare. This one is a 60" by 28 pitch and everything I read says I should be around a 30 pitch for this engine.
                      I still have to figure out all the instruments, RPM, oil pressure and temperature being at the top of the list before I try to fire it. EGT may be a good idea too eh?
                      The redline on this thing is only 2575RPM, I was surprised it was so low but low RPM also means easier on the rotating assembly and valves...
                      I need to figure out some sort of lead substitute additive for the fuel too...
                      I found a complete shop manual online for it which is a bonus! http://veteranflyg.se/wordpress/wp-c...l-Aug-2011.pdf
                      Cheers,
                      Jon

Comment

Cool --- is the pitch rating of the prop for a swamp boat or airplane? big diff as you will only be biting into dense air at sea level so may not need the extra 2 degree's,,,

By all means keep the EGT system - your already set up for it and it will be of great benefit to know just where your at, does not sound like you will be cruising long distances but if you ever do and get the engine settled in you may have the option of going "lean of peak" (LOP)

Many of WW2 pilot has saved his craft from having to ditch in the ocean by using this tactic and believe it or not the car you see in the pics above has it programmed into the fuel injection system... lean is not always a bad thing "IF" you have the right instruments and use low power ratings in fact it can save you allot of fuel...

Yes redline is very low on those engines but look at their displacement -- that is one huge 4 banger,,,

If you don't want to spring for av-gas you will have to most likely find a lead substitute --- or maybe have stellite valve seats installed so you can just run pump gas...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post
                          Yes it appears so, the guy just said he had it refurbished and balanced and that was all the info he had. I figure I will use this to get going on it then when I get it all figured out I will order a a new sensonic prop and use this as a spare. This one is a 60" by 28 pitch and everything I read says I should be around a 30 pitch for this engine.

I need to figure out some sort of lead substitute additive for the fuel too...

Cheers,
                          Jon
                          The angle of the air striking the leading edge of the prop is a combination of both the rotational plane of the prop and the forward velocity of the airplane. Since you'll be going so much slower than a 100+ knot airplane I'm guessing a different pitch than what is recommended for aircraft would be best, though it may not be enough difference to worry about.

Lot's of small, low powered planes fly with unleaded gas and I'm sure an 85 horse engine would fall in this category. You can even get FAA approval via an STC for such use, so it must work.
                          George
                          Traverse City, MI

Comment

Thanks guys.
                            AK, the advice I have been getting on the prop pitch is from the scoot OG that sold me the prop and engine. I do not see any sensors on the motor at all, just a hub where the mechanical tach connects.
                            Interesting about leaning it out, there is a lean-rich lever on this carb too... More to learn...
                            George, I am looking forward to playing with the prop, I could get a variable pitch carbon fibre prop but other scoot people have advised wood as they dont explode when hit with inevitable ice chunks. I guess the larger the pitch number the more air your moving and power your using?
                            The manual says this thing is good on min 80 octane so it will be fine on pump high or mid test, apparently the led substitute makes the valves last a lot longer.
                            Cheers,
                            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post

The angle of the air striking the leading edge of the prop is a combination of both the rotational plane of the prop and the forward velocity of the airplane. Since you'll be going so much slower than a 100+ knot airplane I'm guessing a different pitch than what is recommended for aircraft would be best, though it may not be enough difference to worry about.

Lot's of small, low powered planes fly with unleaded gas and I'm sure an 85 horse engine would fall in this category. You can even get FAA approval via an STC for such use, so it must work.
                              Good points GB --- between the super dense air and the reduced speed I bet he's more closer to what he really needs with just the prop he's got...

Another thing he can do as far as just running premium no-lead is to do frequent valve adjustments at first --- if there's any pounding out of the valve seats from not running lead it will immediately be seen in reduced valve clearance....

Comment

I have decided to go with a foot pedal throttle and pedal brake.
                                Any suggestions from the wealth of experience here?
                                I am thinking this thing looks really nice? https://airboatstuff.com/parts%2Facc...illet-aluminum
                                For a brake pedal I am thinking having a lock on it just in case I have to hand prop it would be a good idea, though not typical for these scoots,...
                                I am cheap so wondering if anyone has any ideas for something I could get from an auto wreckers or can fab up myself.
                                Still spit balling at this point...
                                Cheers,
                                Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X