• Show
Clear All

• Mcgyver
    replied
    I liked that video, a neat machine.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    I could see the covered cabin being a worthy option for this sort of craft too. A soft or tonneau style so it can be fitted in the cold times and removed in the summer.
    Yes that is part of the plan!
    Cant wait to get it home to start putting it all together.
    Cheers,
    Jon

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    If you got it for the right price then that trumps all fer sure! Usually even in bad shape those old air engines don't come cheap as long as they can still be re-built. All my suggestions for options were based on keeping the price lower for you.

This is quite a smile of a thread. Like everyone out there I knew about the air boats out of the southern everglades thanks to TV. I had no idea that they were used up in the land of the frozen for those sketchy transitional times for water and ice crossing. So great fun to see the videos!

I hope the new boat works out better than you're hoping.

I could see the covered cabin being a worthy option for this sort of craft too. A soft or tonneau style so it can be fitted in the cold times and removed in the summer.
    Last edited by BCRider; 05-05-2022, 02:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    Thanks for the advice.
    I picked up the AC engine because the price and timing were right and according to the guys that build and drive these you cant beat these old Continental and lycoming AC engines for this purpose. Lots of guys run Rotax engines too and I looked at them but according to the scoot folks these old direct drive big bore engines have way more torque then the rotax which is nice when you get stuck in the slush.
    I have seen some with VW car engines also.
    For the punt I am making it was recommended to go with a 65HP engine for good performance and the one I got is 85HP so it should go far faster then I will ever want to go anyways...
    Light weight is important to me too since I will likely be operating it alone quite often and as a fat old man I want it as light and manoeuvrable as possible in the event I get stuck.
    Cheers,
    Jon
    Here is some footage of them in action

This little one is very similar to what I am building

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    I'm obviously very late to this party. I wonder though at the need for a certified aircraft engine vs a modified car or motorcycle engine? You obviously want reliability. But converted car or motorcycle engines could provide that with a suitable derating from their redline RPM and running a proper size prop that avoids the need to use full throttle all the time to reach that de-rated RPM.

I offer up the derating idea since car and motorcycle engines are not intended to run strongly at a high power cruise for overly long periods like boat or airplane engines. As an example consider how the old flat four VW engines were and still are used in a lot of experimental aircraft. One of those used in a similar manner could be a lot cheaper than a purpose built aircraft engine.

Not saying that this is not the right way for you. But curious about why you went with the aircraft engine vs a modified car or bike engine.... Especially when a liquid cooled engine could have been set up with the radiator to flow the warm waste air over the passengers to aid with the chill factor... Do all the other similar style boats use aircraft engines? Any with car or motorcycle options? How much HP do these prop boats need anyway?

As for running the engine sans prop? Keep in mind that on an aircraft engine the prop is also the flywheel. Certainly you could run it to see if it starts but you'll need something on the prop mount to act as the additional flywheel. And obviously throttle use and run time would be limited due to RPM and overheating issues with no load and no cooling air other than normal convection....

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    Well the guy building my hull caught the china virus in February which caused some significant delays...
    He is back at it now and hopes to have it done by the end of this month. 😎
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4881494384777432606.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1999393

Name:	9111225874076572712.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	1999394

Name:	3730754535817453061.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	1999396
    The layup looks great! That is some thick fibreglass!
    I salvaged some control cables from an outboard motor which I am thinking are going to be significantly better then the cable and pulley setup seen above for the brake and gas pedals? Some machining may be required for this pedal arrangement...
    I am going to need some pretty big springs for this, I am thinking a farm implement store is the place to look for these things eh?
    This tubing bender looks like the cats meow for bending up the cage and rudder piping but its cost prohibitive... https://www.princessauto.com/en/tubi...t/PA0008536708
    Still thinking I could print some dies to use in my shop press for this but I am going to wait till I have the thing in my shop before I go making anything...
    I made up a nice little stand for the engine, tall enough I can swing a prop from it too. I still havent figured out if I can run this thing sans prop or not...

Name:	20220404_170534.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	1999395
    As always any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Jon

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    I am getting ready to pick up the hull and start fabricating the controls, engine stand, prop cage etc.
    I sold my conduit benders years ago and am now thinking of how I am going to do a nice job of bending the tubing for the prop cage, similar to this in the pic only I plan on using 3/4" rigid aluminium conduit and bolting it rather then welding.
    I am thinking either using the tire on my zoomboom or making some bending dies with my 3d printer... I also have a nice hydraulic shop press I thought about making some dies for...
    Any advice?
    Cheers,
    Jon
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    The most fun I have ever had on the water was in an airboat in the Florida Everglades. Mine had a big block Chevy engine and would haul ass across most anything. Crossing open water and then hitting the reeds was always an adventure. You never knew what might be waiting for you in there.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Related kinda funny story to the mechanical tach, Sold a very nice Toyota Corolla to a gal many years ago, car was mechanically sound - nice body and interior and went through it with full timing kit and water pump and check out,,, 5 speed manual

She just loved it, but after about three months I get a call, she's dealing with a very strange problem, she uses the car to commute and says by the tail end of her journey that it starts smelling really bad, not only that - it's leaking something on her shoe's and it's actually nasty stuff that's ruining them...

So im on the other end of the phone line --- big pause, then I ask her how her coolant levels been ---- whenever I sell something i make sure people know how to check stuff and keep an eye on it --- im thinking heater core rupture till she says " ive been checking stuff like you said and it has not touched a drop of oil or coolant,,,, and I don't think it's either of those it's something much worse - it smells like B.O."

Im like "B.O. ?" --- "the only thing I know that smells like B.O. is your gear oil and don't see the correlation on how that could be making it into the cab"

So tell her to bring it by and drop it off, see the "stains" on the floor mat, sniff and yeah that's 90 wt alright,,, look up in there and can see it's running down the speedo head then dripping off the bend in the cable right above the poor girls shoes, so I immediately am thinking "holy crap it's got a plugged trans vent and it's blown it's speedo seal"

check the vent and nope it was breathing --- im like WTF I know the level was fine cuz I just changed it before the sale,,,

long story short is the trans seal was weak, and the "pump action" that was dredging it up to the speedo head? you guessed it --- it was a Archimedes Screw,,, the cable wind just happened to be in the direction that in forward gear it would dredge the nasty fluid up against gravity --- short runs no --- but long commutes was enough to pump it into the speedo head and then cause it to run down the outside of the cable...

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    I stopped by the the boat building place and took some pics and measurements for the scoot.
    Here is a shot of this guys gas and brake pedal, using cables and pulleys, I am sure I can do better than this...
    Cheers,
    Jon
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ikdor
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post

On a scoot there is about a 10" long by 5 or 6" wide hinged plate on the back that swings down to slow you down in the water, it also incorporates a spike that drops down to stop you on the ice.
    You can see it in this pic. The pedal pulls on the top of the spike which drops it and the plate at the same time.

Cheers,
    Jon
    That's pretty cool, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    My friend used something like that as a daily driver. VW engine, two blade prop. His was fully enclosed, home made of course, and he 'drove' it to work across Babine lake every day. High center of gravity for sure- his brother flipped in on the lake one day.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    Originally posted by ikdor View Post
    Out of curiosity, what does the brake pedal do on a boat?
    On a scoot there is about a 10" long by 5 or 6" wide hinged plate on the back that swings down to slow you down in the water, it also incorporates a spike that drops down to stop you on the ice.
    You can see it in this pic. The pedal pulls on the top of the spike which drops it and the plate at the same time.

Cheers,
    Jon

Leave a comment:

• ikdor
    replied
    Out of curiosity, what does the brake pedal do on a boat?

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    I have decided to go with a foot pedal throttle and pedal brake.
    Any suggestions from the wealth of experience here?
    I am thinking this thing looks really nice? https://airboatstuff.com/parts%2Facc...illet-aluminum
    For a brake pedal I am thinking having a lock on it just in case I have to hand prop it would be a good idea, though not typical for these scoots,...
    I am cheap so wondering if anyone has any ideas for something I could get from an auto wreckers or can fab up myself.
    Still spit balling at this point...
    Cheers,
    Jon

Leave a comment:

Working...
X